My first trip to Bavaria was in 1982 and I have been passionate about this area ever since. I mean really passionate. I get excited about Bavaria just by looking at pictures and I love telling people about this wondrous place. When I see a picture of a village or scene that looks Bavarian I am over come by a sense of peace, calm and joy. For me, it is one of the most peaceful and fun places I have been.
A few years ago we took our 2 teenage children to Munich and south. During this trip we stayed in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and spent time visiting Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles. One day, after our tours we spent some time on a nearby luge. I can still remember riding the luge up the hill to begin the downward ride. Looking to my right, I saw majestic Neuschwanstein Castle high upon a hill and those wonderful cows meandering in the meadow next door. The first thought in my mind was
“What could be better than this?” To this day, I haven’t been able to come up with an answer. Why do I love this area? I will try to put the reasons into words. So here goes:
- The Lakes. Who can pass up Starnbergersee, Chiemsee, Tegernsee or Konigsee?
- The Castles. Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, Nymphenberg Palace, Herrenchiemsee, Trausntz or the Imperial Castle in Nuremburg.
- The Beer. Sitting at a Bavarian beer garden is one of the most enjoyable things to do!
- The History.
- The People.
- Those Cows!! If you’re lucky you’ll be in time to witness the annual cattle drive.
- Peace and Tranquility.
- The Mountains.
- The Window Boxes teeming with geraniums.
- The cities. Make sure to visits Munich, Bamberg, Nuremberg and Coburg along with the smaller villages of Fussen, Inglostadt, Kempten and Rothenburg.
- The Food. Schnitzel, wursts and sauerkraut. Yum!!
- Tradition. Oompah bands, dancing and dirndls and lederhosen.
- The views!
Take all these together and I think this must be the definition of “Gemutlichkeit”!
While I love Bavaria, I know you must have a country, region, city that evokes much the same for you. Tell me about it. . .Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Linderhof Palace pictures courtesy of Bayern Tourismus Marketing GmbH
All other pictures are personal ones taken by me.