December 17, 2017

3 Weird or Unusual Sights in the Land of Eire!

Since today is actually St. Patrick’s Day, I thought I’d keep with the Irish theme.

I ‘m sure we can all agree, Ireland is a tremendously beautiful land and it is relatively easy to find many things to do during a visit to the Emerald Isle.

Innishmor Head Ireland Coastline

Innishmor Head by slettvet, on Flickr

So I thought I’d focus on a few of the lesser known and eerie or creepy places you might want to visit.  Below are 3 of the weird or unusual sights to be seen in the land of Eire!

St. Michan’s Church, Dublin

St. Michan’s is one of Dublin’s most unusual sights and definitely not for the faint of heart.  Deep beneath the church lays a vault that is home to coffins containing the famous mummies of St. Michan.  Yes, I did say mummies.  Somehow these bodies have become mummified!  As your tiptoeing down the stairs toward the vault, make sure you’re ready for the creepy, unusual and weird!  The first thing you’ll notice is that the coffins seem to be in a disheveled mess with arms and legs sticking up.  Upon closer inspection you will see bodies covered by stretched, wrinkled skin.  St. Michan’s Church is definitely worth a look and will send shivers down your body!  Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

St. Michan’s Church Dublin Ireland

St. Michan’s Church Dublin by infomatique, on Flickr

Haunted Leap Castle

This castle has a really creepy history!  Leap Castle was built in the late 15th century and was the family home to the Chieftain of the area, the O’Carroll’s.  But they had a secret that was buried in the walls of the castle.  There is a hidden dungeon off what is known as the Bloody Chapel that was the site of much pain, misery and death.  Lucky prisoners were pushed in the room, fell through the floor onto a spike and died instantly.  The unlucky ones were left in the room, forgotten, to starve.  Fast forward to around 1900, workmen were hired to clean out the hidden dungeon and found piles of skeletons.  It is said it took 3 full cart loads to remove all the bones!  Due to its bloody history, Leap Castle has always been thought to be haunted.  Don’t believe in ghosts?  New owners purchased the castle during the 1990’s.  During renovations two unusual accidents occurred sidelining the owner for over a year!  Coincidence or ghosts?  You decide.

Haunted Leap Castle Ireland

Haunted Leap Castle by Ziegenheit at en.wikipedia

Kilmainham Gaol

Ireland has a very colorful and sordid history.  If you are looking for an interesting view of Irish history, Gaols (prisons) offer a very different perspective.  The Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin is one place that had a front seat to the tragic history of Ireland.  Built in 1786, the gaol has housed many of the most notorious characters involved in Ireland’s fight for independence.  It was here that Britain imprisoned many involved with the Easter Rising during 1916.  Some names you may have heard before include Padraig Pearse, Joseph Plunkett and Thomas Clarke.  The Irish Gaols are known to have extremely horrible conditions.  During the 128 years it was open, children as young as 7 were imprisoned, cells held up to 5 prisoners (men, women and children combined), and they only had one candle that needed to last 2 weeks.  Women often slept on the floor covered with straw while men “enjoyed” beds.   Even though the building still exudes an eerie shadow, the prison now houses a museum and offers insightful tours of the prison buildings.

Kilmainham Gaol Dublin Ireland

Kilmainham Gaol by guido612, on Flickr

Do any of these sights interest you?  Do you like unusual and eerie sights?

What are they and what is interesting about them?

Comments

1. LeslieTravel says:

Great photos! Looks like there’s a lot to see in Ireland.
    LeslieTravel recently posted..The Best of NYC’s 2011 Armory Show- Street art- erotica and more

Ireland is a very beautiful country with tons to do and see. I have also heard the people are extremely friendly!

Thanks for stopping by.

2. Laura says:

I’ve never been to Ireland and would love to go! I have a weird interest in touring prisons (I’ve been to quite a few while traveling) so it looks like that’s something I could add to the list in Ireland!
    Laura recently posted..Montage Monday- A Glimpse Back of Cape Town

I have never really toured many prisons except for Alcatraz but this one definitely looked interesting. Maybe I should look more into prisons!

Thanks for stopping by.

Well this certainly changes my visions of Ireland. The dungeon in the castle sounds like the worst though. Can visitors actually see the dungeon in the castle? It looks very charming from the outside.
    Laurel recently posted..One of the Biggest Challenges of Expat Living

It does look charming from the outside! What a history the walls could tell. I really like stuff like this!

4. I think my boys would love St. Michans. But maybe it’d be too scary…for me, that is! Sorry to say, we just skipped St. Patrick’s Day here in Switzerland. Well, my husband got a pint at the pub in Baden, Switzerland, but that was it. I’d love to go to Ireland to make up for the missed holiday!

Jennifer

Jennifer, I will definitely visit St. Michans when I get to Dublin! We didn’t really do much to celebrate St. Pat’s day either. . . we did go have a pint of Smithwicks at a local pub. It was fun but being in Ireland would be better.

Thanks for stopping by.

5. Erica says:

No thank you! I try to stay away from things with bodies and potential for ghosties. Great info though!
    Erica recently posted..Travel Photography – The Grand Canyon

HA HA They are definitely not for everyone. I found them to be intriguing though.

Thanks for stopping by!

6. I have always thought the cathedrals and ancient architectures of Ireland were so regal. Nice photographs.

Hi Justin,
      I love architecture too! Ireland has so much great architecture and history to go along with it.

Thanks for stopping by.

7. What a creepy history of the castle….!

How intersting! Almost a Halloween post 🙂 Never been to Ireland, but really want to go. The church in Dublin sounds like a cool place. Not sure how I’d feel about seeing actual bodies…. I’ surprised they’re just out there like this. Are they real??
    Sabrina recently posted..Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!

I thought the same thing! In fact, I almost saved it for Halloween but decided to just go for it now.

Thanks for stopping by!