May 30, 2017

Is a Yurt Lodging?

What is a Yurt?

According to the dictionary, a yurt is “a tentlike dwelling of the Mongol and Turkic peoples of central Asia, consisting of a cylindrical wall of poles in a lattice arrangement with a conical roof of poles, both covered by felt or skins.”

Yurts are the traditional homes of Nomads in Central Asia.  The traditional construction consists of a circular wooden latticed frame covered with felt.  These homes worked especially well for the Nomads since they were designed to be dismantled and then carried by camel or yak to be built again at their next destination.  Yurts were repaired as needed and were passed down, father to son, to the next generation.

Today Yurts are still used by herders in the steppes of Central Asia but have also been adopted and used in other areas of the world as shelters for Nordic skiers, housing and school rooms.  Yurts are also available as an alternative to traditional hotels during our travels.

Modern Yurts offer European travelers the feel of a tent but with more of the comforts of home.  In fact, some of them are down right luxurious!

Mongolian Yurt Hoopoe Yurt Hotel Andalucia Spain

Mongolian Yurt courtesy of Hoopoe Yurt Hotel

Hoopoe Yurt Hotel – Andalucía Spain
“Camp in Style . . . allowing you to get back to nature without forgoing the usual luxuries you would wish for on your holiday.”

Afghani Yurt Hoopoe Yurt Hotel Andalucia Spain

Afghani Yurt courtesy of Hoopoe Yurt Hotel

The Hoopoe Yurt Hotel is a complex of 5 yurts set on 3 hectare acres of olive groves and Cork Oak trees.  The grounds offer amazing views of the Grazalema Mountains and the wilds of Southern Spain along with many hammocks and a chlorine-free swimming pool!  The entire complex is run on solar power.

Poolside Hoopoe Yurt Hotel Andalucia Spain

Poolside courtesy of Hoopoe Yurt Hotel

All of the yurts are individually decorated and include antique Mongolian furniture and antique linens from around the world.  Each yurt has a private bathroom next door complete with a hot shower and “ecological loo”.

Jaipur Yurt Hoopoe Yurt Hotel Andalucia Spain

Jaipur Yurt courtesy of Hoopoe Yurt Hotel

Each yurt has its own name affiliated with the area it came from.  You can choose from the Afghani yurt, Mongolian yurt, Jaipur yurt, Safari yurt, or Maimani yurt.  Each of these offers great views, seclusion and is decorated in traditional motifs.

Your Meal is Served Hoopoe Yurt Hotel Andalucia Spain

Your Meal is Served courtesy of Hoopoe Yurt Hotel

Canvas Chic – Ardeche France
This complex is a small campground located near the Ardeche river and gorge in the Rhone-Alpes region of southern France.  The area is known for its outdoors activities, prehistoric caves and stunning scenery.

Pont d'Arc Ardeche France

Pont d'Arc by Nolleos, on Flickr

The grounds of CanvasChic hold 11 yurts and 20 tent sights.  The yurts are all handcrafted from oak and ash and are covered in canvas.  There is a definite “rustic” feel to the lodgings but they are still very nice accommodations – they just have a campier feel to them!

CanvasChic Yurt Rhone-Alps France

CanvasChic Yurt courtesy of CanvasChic

There are shared showers and toilets as well as access to a shared kitchen complete with refrigerator, stoves and utensils.  If you don’t want to cook, there is a café and bar onsite.

One thing to note, they offer a 10% “zero emissions” discount if you arrive on foot or bike!

Are you looking for alternative style lodging for your next trip to Europe?

Would one of these options be something you would stay in?

Tell me about it . . . why or why not?

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Comments

1. Katherina says:

I would definitely do! I do admit, the luxurious part of this one really calls me – and it looks so cozy, private and individualistic! But I would probably also accept the challenge if it was a more rustic one, it looks like a great adventure.
    Katherina recently posted..In Search of The Perfect Crêpe

I totally agree with you. The yurts in Spain are definitely luxurious and would be wonderful. But the area in France looks very special. It would be fun to try them both. They seem to be great options, though.

2. Yes, definitely. Those yurts look so much better than some of the places we’ve slept in.
    jill- Jack and Jill Travel The World recently posted..Meet Deb and Dave from The Planet D

HA HA! I would love to spend a couple nights at the yurts in Spain especially. They look so luxurious.

I am not a camper, but staying in a yurt looks like fun. I didn’t realize it was possible in Europe, thanks for the tip!.
    Laurel recently posted..Why I’m Afraid to Have Surgery in Germany

I thought the yurts looked like a lot of fun. Plus it is always great to try new types of lodging!

4. Tijmen says:

If I would have the change for it I would definitely stay in one of them, the look great 🙂 Be would a nice change from the normal hostel rooms!
    Tijmen recently posted..Photo Essay- Mongolia

Take a loot at CanvaChic. I don’t think they were too expensive! So they might just work because they do look like something fun to try.

5. I’d love to live in one of those for a while, that one especially looks so luxurious!
    Sofia – As We Travel recently posted..The 5 Worst Movie Travel Companions

6. Frau Dietz says:

Those luxury yurts look FABULOUS. I was invited to visit a yurt camp in Kyrgyzstan whilst travelling a couple of years ago. A community had set up camp together whilst they grazed their horses over the summer. It was wonderful: inside the yurt, the man of the family kept all his things on the right hand side, the woman kept all her things (the kitchen, basically!) on the left (or was it the other way round?) and opposite the door was a pile of bedding for guests. We ate wonderful fresh bread with homemade jam and cream whilst my host stoked the fire in the centre of his home – the smoke disappears through the hole in the top. It didn’t smell too good though, since they were burning horse manure!
    Frau Dietz recently posted..Wachsheim and Freinsheim- A Sekt-tasting adventure in Pfalz

Your adventure in Kyrgyzstan sounds really great! As I was reading up on Yurts, I thought it would be fun to stay in an actual “yurt” like you did.

I agree the luxury Yurt was calling to me!

1. […] choices in the unique category include yurts, jumbo jets, lighthouses, castles, tepees, chateaux, tree houses or even a […]

2. […] Are Yurts Lodging? | European TravelistaMar 29, 2011 … Modern Yurts offer European travelers the feel of a tent but with more of the comforts of home. In fact, some of them are down right … […]