July 29, 2014

5 Reasons . . . to Visit Innsbruck

Innsbruck. Tirolean Alps.  Snowcapped Mountains.  Alpine Valleys.  Yodeling.  Charming Villages.

These are all terms used to describe Innsbruck and the Tirolean Alps.  You could even add in glorious mountain rivers, Alpine lakes, houses bedecked with overflowing flower boxes, cows wearing bells and glaciers.

Innsbruck is described by many as one of the world’s most beautiful cities.  As the capital of Tirol, Innsbruck has enjoyed an important role in Austria’s history. Emperor Maximillian I lived here when Innsbruck was the seat of the Holy Roman Empire and the Empress Maria Theresa visited Innsbruck often during the Hapsburg rule.

Innsbruck Austria

Innsbruck by Leo-setä, on Flickr

There are many reasons to spend time in Innsbruck, but today I’ll tell you about 5 of them!

1.  The Aldstadt
Wander through narrow alleys, marvel at noble squares and be amazed at the ornate Baroque architecture.  Stopping to admire the Goldenes Dachl (Golden Roof) made of copper tiles and now home to the Maximilianeum, which displays paintings and artifacts from the life of Maximilian I.  Wandering further to explore the Hofburg (Imperial Palace) housing portraits of the Hapsburg’s and other historical items; continue to the Hofkirch to visit the 16th century Silver Chapel.  Don’t miss the statues which include one of King Arthur of England an ancestor of Maximilian I.

Schloss Ambra Inssbruck Austria

Schloss Ambra by anjči, on Flickr

2.  Schloss Ambra
Archduke Ferdinand II decided to marry a “commoner” and, therefore, was not allowed to live in the city.  To have a home fitting his stature, he had a 10th century medieval fortress turned into a Renaissance beauty complete with red and white shutters, which can be seen from a distance.  Today we call it Schloss Ambra.  Inside you will be amazed by the Spanish Hall which is embellished by gorgeous wood ceilings and frescoed walls.  Also be on the lookout for the Archduke’s sunken bath!  The castle is also home to collection of15th century armor and weapons as well as a portrait gallery which is home to many exquisite portraits of the Hapsburg’s and other European aristocrat’s.  The grounds offer an equally amazing display and are a great place for a picnic.

3.  Hungerburg
To soar above Innsbruck head to Hungerburg to board your cable car that will sweep you up to Hafelekar which stands at 7,500 ft.  The trip from Hungerburg to Seegrube to Hafelekar may just be the highlight of your trip!  As you are rising above Innsbruck you will be dazzled by the views.  As usual, the Alps do not disappoint.  During your journey you’ll stop 3 times and each time the views get better.  At each stop there are restaurants.  Hungry?  Might be a great place to enjoy traditional food and drink while savoring those views!

4.  Stubai Valley
The alluring Stubai valley is one of those magical places Tirol is known for.  This valley is home to over 80 glimmering glaciers and 40 plus imposing mountain peaks.  Traveling this valley you will find small quaint villages with church spires as their main attractions.  You will see blossoming wildflowers, rivers, wild life and those mountains.  The real attraction of the Stubai valley is the beauty.

Neustift in Stubai Valley near Innsbruck Austria

Neustift in Stubai Valley by cayenne2006, on Flickr

5.  Hiking or Walking

No matter what level of hiker you are, you can find it in and around Innsbruck.  With over 320 miles of marked and maintained paths and trails, hiking in Tirol is a must.  Whether you want a day or multi-day hike, you can find it in this amazing area.  The Innsbruck Hiking Program has hikes that last 3-5 hours.  Their program even includes a shuttle to the starting point, guide and equipment (if needed) for those staying at hotels in Innsbruck.  Included in their list of hikes are the sunrise walk, lantern walk, pleasure walks, peak walks and even culinary walks.  These sound like a great way to discover all that Innsbruck and Tirol has to offer!

I’d love to hear how would you spend your time in Innsbruck?

Tell me about it!

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Related posts:

1. Hallstatt Calling??!?
  2. The Mighty Rhine
  3. Springtime Yearnings
  4. Inspiring Tuscany
  5. Gems of Normandy

Comments

1. PETER says:

I have skied in axamer lizum for years staying in beautiful Birgitz.I have never been to this area in summer but I’ve just booked flights and accomodation. Really looking forward to t!

I really like Innsbruck and would love to go back so I can explore the surrounding area! Have a great trip.

2. Subhra says:

I wish to visit this wonderful city in March 2013 for a day! Can you suggest how do I get the best information for a day trip in and around Innsbruck (may be from Munich) or from Innsbruck Station? I think I’ll reach Innsbruck HBF at around 9.30 AM and have to leave by 07.00 PM.

3. sara says:

I visited innsbruck 2 days ago. A great place. I loved it:)
    sara recently posted..Dominos menu

4. Natalie says:

I love Innsbruck! This was my home last summer while I studied abroad. It has the feeling of a big city that keeps you on your toes with things to do, yet at the same time it is small enough that you don’t feel like a tourist. I highly recommend taking the cable car up on a sunny afternoon (I made the mistake once of taking it on a cloudy, rainy day and once you get to the top the wind will almost knock you over along with the cold sleet.) and if you have the time and the stamina, there are many great hikes up some of the more hiker friendly alps that surround the city.

Innsbruck isn’t too far from the Italian border so they have some really good Italian eateries. My personal favorite place to eat there was this pizza place called Magic Pizza. It certainly rivals famous pizza places in the U.S.

Thanks for your input on Innsbruck. I will be visiting in August and am looking forward to enjoying some of the hikes at the tourist bureau. I may have to look Magic Pizza up too!

5. Thanks for this post–I went to Innsbruck twice in college and had great times. The city just has a charm that is hard to explain. Your pictures reminded me of how beautiful the entire region of Tirol is.
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge

I am glad to hear you enjoyed Innsbruck. It does have a certain charm to it that makes it wonderful to wander! Thank you for stopping by.

6. Tijmen says:

Friends of mine visited it last year, the photos they showed me looked awesome. Never been there myself though, but I looks like I would defintely enjoy the hiking in that region :)
    Tijmen recently posted..Tips for the First Time Visitor to West Africa

7. We stayed at Hotel Alte Post in Fulpmes, a village near the Stubai Glacier and just 30 minutes from Innsbruck this February. It was absolutely lovely! I took a tram in from Fulpmes to Innsbruck. It was an hour trip through the mountain villages and, oh so charming! Innsbruck was beautiful as well. And the Stubai Glacier had awesome skiing and is up so high that it had plenty of snow, despite the low snowfall in Europe this year. We came in from Switzerland and were happy to see that Austrian prices for accommodations and such are a little better priced than counterparts in Switzerland.

Only downside of our trip was that my son broke his leg on our last ski day. I can say that emergency evacuation and medical care for broken bones was excellent in Stubai!

Here’s my blog on our ski trip: http://grintravel.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/valentine-who-its-ski-week-in-the-alps/
    Jennifer Grinold recently posted..A Magical Day at Disneyland Paris

It sounds like you had a great trip in Austria. That is until your son broke his leg :( ! I it hard to have an injury or illness in a foreign land but my experience has been excellent with European medical care.

Switzerland is beautiful but it is more expensive than other parts of Europe.

8. Spencer says:

Innsbruck holds a special place in my heart. My folks went there on their honeymoon. I also took my wife there for a trip too. Perhaps its the snow capped mountains in the background but there is something magical about the place.
    Spencer recently posted..Vik Arena Blanca Resort Punta Cana

What a nice story that is! Innsbruck would make a great place for a honeymoon! Those mountains are very romantic.

9. Roy says:

I love the pictures! I’ve only been in Vienna in Austria, I guess I need to go back :)
    Roy recently posted..Jungles Of Panama

10. Laura says:

My sister studied abroad in Innsbruck, but I haven’t been there yet. Actually, I haven’t seen most of Europe but some day :) Gorgeous mountain views!
    Laura recently posted..Photo Essay of Kollerup- A Village in Northern Germany

I didn’t get the chance to study abroad but I think I would have really liked it! You’ll have to explore Europe a bit more.

I haven’t been to Innsbruck, but I’ve wanted to go for a while, now I see why. Your post is perfect timing since the next TBU Conference is being held in Innsbruck in August.
    Laurel recently posted..Why I’m Afraid to Have Surgery in Germany

1. [...] Schloss Ambras is a very popular sight when visiting Innsbruck.  One afternoon, with my Innsbruck Card in hand, I [...]

2. [...] On my first day, I hopped on the bus to the Crystal World in Wattens, which is about a 20 minute ride from Innsbruck. [...]

3. [...] my trip this summer I purchased cards in both Innsbruck and Salzburg and I can definitely tell you that the answer to the question is a definite . . . [...]

4. [...] my latest trip I had Gulaschsuppe in Innsbruck . . . three [...]

5. [...] mountains in Innsbruck dusted with snow the morning after a thunder storm and the views of the mountains in Mittenwald.  [...]

6. [...] my trip to Europe later this summer, I will be making a stop in Mittenwald on my way to Innsbruck.  Why?  Simply because it is known to be a picturesque Bavarian village and I can’t seem to get [...]