October 21, 2017

Photogenic Lucerne Switzerland

Lucerne is one of the most photogenic cities there is in Europe.

View of mountain from Lucerne Switzerland

Mountain view from Lucerne Switzerland

Located in the center of Switzerland, Lucerne offers a sampling of what defines Switzerland – lakes, meandering rivers, mountains, charming bridges, flowers, boats, frescoed buildings and a medieval old town.

Lucerne Switzerland along the River Reuss

Lucerne along the River Reuss

Lucerne is a great city to wander charming cobblestoned streets or stroll along the river promenade stopping at cafes that dot the River Reuss.

The Kapellbrucke is probably the most famous bridge and sight in Lucerne.

Kapellbrucke Lucerne Switzerland

Kapellbrucke Lucerne Switzerland

To enjoy Lake Lucerne, spend time at one of the beaches or enjoy a steamer to marvel at the scenic mountains, stately homes and castles or even enjoy a wholesome breakfast.

Leave some time to enjoy the Swiss Transport Museum.  This museum displays many forms of transportation including train cars, planes, cars and ships.  You can also see the oldest steamboat in Switzerland and there is a model depicting the crossing of the Gotthard Pass.

Mt. Pilatus Switzerland

Mt. Pilatus Switzerland

Mt. Pilatus is one of those Swiss mountains steeped in history and myths that comes with incredible views.  Part of the adventure is the transportation getting you to the summit and returning you to the floor.  To begin your trip, take a steamer to Alpnachstad where you will transfer to the cog railway that will whisk you to the top.  This cog railway is the steepest in the world with a 48% gradient.  Your return can be by a pair of cable cars or via the cog railway.

Clouds below Mt. Pilatus Switzerland

View from Mt. Pilatus Switzerland

At the summit, besides marveling at the panorama unfolding before your eyes there are many hiking paths and restaurants.

The William Tell Express, one of Switzerland’s scenic rail trips, begins in Lucerne.  Board your steamer to Fluelen where you transfer to the scenic train for the remainder of your trip to Locarno.  But this is for another day. . .

Have you been to Lucerne?

What is the most photogenic city you have been to?

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Comments

1. best battery operated drills
    http://remediation.Cetco.com/ recently posted..http://remediation.Cetco.com/

2. Walter says:

When some one searches for his necessary thing,
    so he/she wishes to be available that in detail, so that thing is
    maintained over here.
    Walter recently posted..Walter

3. Lisa says:

Debbie, I’ve enjoyed at trip to Switzerland but haven’t yet been to Lucerne. It looks beautiful.
    Lisa recently posted..Lϋbeck- a leisure destination in Northern Germany

Lucerene is indeed beautiful and relaxing, if you want it to be. Sitting by the lake is peaceful and extremely enjoyable.

4. Tijmen says:

Never been to Switserland, but it does looks like place worth visiting. Especially love the first photo, would be nice to have a view like that from the office the whole day 🙂 Haven’t travelled that much in Europe itself, but one city where I couldnt stop taking photos was Barcelona, really loved that city. And amazing food as well 🙂
    Tijmen recently posted..Authentic Indian Dishes That You Should Try

I agree, that view out my office window would be heaven. Not sure how much work I’d get done but . . . I haven’t been to Barcelona but have heard wonderful things about it. I will definitely need to go visit someday very soon.

5. Really love the photos as Lucerne appears to be a great place to travel to and take in. Never been before I think my wife would really enjoy it there.

Hey Kirk, Lucerne is a wonderful place to visit. I hope you do take your wife someday as I know you both will enjoy your time spent in Switzerland and Lucerne!

6. Cat says:

I went to Lucerne to visit a friend in December with a lot of anticipation, but the weather was foggy, cold and I was sick! Now I know what I missed!
    Cat recently posted..Things Not to Expect in your Spanish Flat

Oh Cat I am sorry to hear that your trip to Lucerne was less than anticipated due to weather and being sick. Hopefully you will get to go back soon.

Thanks for stopping by!

Wonderful photos! I haven’t been to Lucerene yet, but will get there at some point. I was in Schaffhausen a few weeks ago and loved it so definitely need to spend more time exploring Switzerland.
    Laurel recently posted..Roman Limes Museum in Aalen- Germany

You definitely need to go to Lucerne. Did you get to the Rhine Falls while in Schaffhausen? They are spectacular and highly recommended!

8. I really enjoyed Lucerne, even thought it was freezing cold when I was there! The old town is beautiful.
    Sofia – As We Travel recently posted..The 2011 Europe Train Challenge NEWS

I have not been to Europe during the winter. I really think I would like to see what it looks like covered in snow!

9. Jen says:

I have great memories of Lucerne. Though unfortunately when we took the cog railway up Pilatus it was all fogged in up there. 🙁 I must go back!

Yes I think you need to go back so you can enjoy the views from Pilatus! Hopefully it won’t be cloudy on this trip.

1. […] isn’t romantic about scenery like this?  Lucerne and her lake have to be one of the most beautiful and romantic places in Europe! Everywhere you […]

2. […] on europeantravelista.com Share this:FacebookE-mailTwitterPrintPinterestLinkedInGoogle +1TumblrMeerRedditStumbleUponDiggVind […]

3. […] watch over Lucerne sits the brooding Mt. […]

4. […] luxury when I get it.  The nicest hotel I have ever stayed in would have to be the Palace Hotel in Lucerne Switzerland!  I had a corner suite which had amazing views of the lake and mountains surrounding […]