March 24, 2017

Fabulous Friday – Gengenbach Calling!

A couple months ago I told you that pictures talk to me in a post titled Hallstatt Calling.  Today I am being called by another town – Gengenbach!

Gengenbach is a wonderful town in the Black Forest area of Germany and has been described as “a pearl among the cities of the half-timbered houses.”

As you will see, this bucolic village is a site for sore eyes.

Aldstadt Gengenbach Black Forest Germany

According to the Gengenbach tourist office “History breathes from every street, where the past meets the present: the preservation of traditions and customs is a responsibility its inhabitants readily and lovingly embrace.”

Indeed, Gengenbach has been around quite awhile.  The first settlement dates back to 73 AD and the town hall was built in 1784!

Gate in Gengenbach Black Forest Germany

Tradition is king here.

Christmas Market Gengenbach Black Forest Germany

There are many festivals held each year and the surroundings teem with fresh produce, rivers full of trout and vineyards.

Folk Costume parade Gengenbach Black Forest Germany

Yes there are culinary traditions to be had in Gengenbach accompanied with a variety of locally produced wine.

Schnaps Gengenbach Black Forest Germany

Gengenbach is surrounded by valleys, hills, lakes and rivers making this area a mecca for outdoor enthusiasts.

Deer Farm Gengenbach Black Forest Germany

After looking at these photographs provided by the Gengenbach Tourist Bureau, tell me Gengenbach isn’t calling you too?

Comments

1. Akash Moon says:

Gorgeous post, My spouse and i reach pay a visit to a great number of sites here… Wonderful metropolis as well as remarkable photographs also!
    Arti not too long ago submitted.
    Akash Moon recently posted..Welcome to My Fabulous Las Vegas!

2. We really enjoyed our trip to Oberammergau for the passion play last year – it is just as picturesque and worth visiting in the years when the passion play isn’t on too.http://www.heatheronhertravels.com/oberammergau-painted-houses-wood-carving/
    Heather on her travels recently posted..A Salzburg video with Matt Carroll – in Austria

Love that part of Germany. I am thinking of stopping in Mittenwald this summer just see this picturesque village.

I haven’t heard of Gengenbach but I’ll have to check it out. I love the Black Forest, it’s one of my favorite areas in Germany.
    Laurel recently posted..Rothenburg ob der Tauber- Germany’s Best Preserved Medieval Town

I really want to go to the Black Forest. I think one of the walking trips would be a great way to spend a few days.

4. Arti says:

Beautiful post, I get to visit so many places here… Wonderful city and amazing pics too!
    Arti recently posted..Temples of Uttarkashi – Kashi Vishwanath Temple- Shakti Temple and others

Wow! It really looks like time stopped some 50-100 years ago in that little town 🙂 Cute pics!
    Sabrina recently posted..San Angelo – A Quirky Little Town in Texas

Town like this just seem to draw me to them! I am a sucker for those cute, quaint little villages. I will be in Germany this summer and am contemplating a stop in Mittenwald just because it is cute!

6. It almost looks too perfect to be a real place!

7. Gengenbach looks great in the day and even better at night. Thanks for the photos!

I am a sucker for beautiful quaint villages especially if they are in or near the mountains! I am definitely a mountain girl vs a beach girl. Hopefully I’ll get to Gengenbach soon.

1. […] I’ve said in Gengenbach Calling and Hallstatt Calling, pictures speak to […]