May 29, 2017

Fabulous Friday – When flying, do you prefer the window, middle, or aisle seat?

I can distinctly remember my first ever trip on an airplane.  I was 8 years old and we were flying from Los Angeles to Oklahoma City to visit my mom’s family.  Oh boy was I excited!  And dressed up too!  No sloppy jeans for us.  My mom and I were in new dresses and my brother wore a little tie.

Oh how things have changed today!  Everyday you can hear someone complaining about the airlines, the food, TSA or the seats.  Its bad enough the amount they charge for First or Business class seats but now they even charge extra for extra room in coach.

Middle Seat Cartoon

From Paul Fell http://www.executivetravel.com

My co-worker is flying to Hawaii and the other day we got started talking about seat preferences when on an airplane.

She really likes the window seat because she can see what is outside especially as the plane is descending for landing.  But if she is traveling with her husband she usually selects the dreaded center seat so he can have an aisle.

I prefer an aisle seat solely because I get the feeling of having more space since one shoulder is not next to someone or something.  My second choice would be a window.  That said,  I usually select a center seat when traveling with my husband.  That is, of course, until he spilled red wine on me during a flight to New York City.  The aisle across from him will work just fine, thank you!

by Daquella manera, on Flickr

I book corporate travel as part of my “job” and most co-workers prefer aisles but some opt for windows.

No one books that center seat!!

On this Friday and just for Fun I thought I’d ask . . .

When flying, do you prefer window, middle or aisle seat?

Does this change if you are traveling with a friend, significant other or spouse?

Comments

1. Jeremy B says:

I definitely prefer the window. I rarely get up to use the bathroom and like to sleep – well, before kids anyways. Now with kids, the aisle and middle seats are better as it is easier to move around!
    Jeremy B recently posted..Budget travel deals of the week May 3- 2011

Oh how kids to change our lives and travels 🙂 I wish I could sleep on airplanes but have not found a way to do that!

2. Raymond says:

I’m 6ft 3 and I am probably one of the few tall guys that prefers the window seat (next to the emergency exit of course). I’ve been dinged on my elbows and feet far too many times to take the aisle. Plus, I never have to get up for anyone — they have to get up for me!
    Raymond recently posted..The World is Flat and You Can Be Too

Yes you are probably the only tall person I know that would request anything but an aisle seat!

Almost always aisle when I am travelling alone – unless one of the exit rows with lots of space in front of you is free… enough space to get up without bothering your neighbor that is. I like getting up once in a while, using the restroom, walking around, getting some more water. Looks like I’m with our lovely Frau Dietz up there: I hate disturbing people more than being disturbed. Also because I see them getting up as just another reminder to move around a little 🙂 (As you can probably tell, I take a lot of these 8-12 hour flights)

When travelling with my boyfriend, things change. He likes window, I like aisle. So on the flights where there’s two seats by themselves, it’s perfect. On three or more, we usually tale turn on who gets their way and who sits in the middle.
    Sabrina recently posted..San Angelo – A Quirky Little Town in Texas

You sound like me! The exit rows are the best and I always take an aisle when traveling solo.

4. serena says:

always aisle seat: i know i’ll need the toilet during the flight 😀

I like aisles too! To me it feels more spacious and then I don’t have to climb over a couple people to get out.

5. sheril says:

Oh God ..I never traveled in flights first of all !! But after seeing this post i wonder its tough to sit in the middle ..thx Debbie …Great post !!
    sheril recently posted..Hampi

6. Arti says:

I prefer the window seat anyday, anytime! I am not the one to sleep onboard and can never tire of the amazing views outside…Though I dont really like the one by the wings because it hampers the view below!
    Arti recently posted..Enroute to Badrinath Uttarkashi – Birahi Part I

7. Scott says:

I always prefer the window, kind of obsessed with it. I like the views and to look down at the little towns below and guess where we are!
    Scott recently posted..My Dogs Abroad

That seems to be the reason people prefer window seats! Plus it is a great way to pass the time trying to figure out where you are.

8. Andrea says:

It really depends…if I’m travelling with John and there are three seats across, we usually take the aisle and middle so we don’t have to climb over people. If I was alone, I’d take the aisle, unless it was just two seats across, in which case I’d take the window.
    Andrea recently posted..Five Course Tasting Menu at Bodega Ruca Malen Mendoza

I think the aisle and middle is normal when traveling with spouse/significant others but sometimes I just don’t feel being squished between two people.

9. Tijmen says:

I always pick the window seat, I just like to look outside and enjoy the view. It doesn’t always work when are to many clouds, but its better entertainment then just watching around me in the airplaine 🙂
    Tijmen recently posted..Photo Essay- The Netherlands

That is true! Flying is usually so dull but I do have to admit with TV screens on seat backs it is much nicer.

10. Frau Dietz says:

Ooh I like this question 🙂 I love the right hand window seat by the wing on the flight from Frankfurt to London because it’s a short flight (one hour) and the view over London as you approach Heathrow on a clear day is just incredible. And I like to check that the wing stays on. But long flights… I hate disturbing people more than I hate being disturbed… left hand aisle (so I can lean on my right elbow to sleep) all the way! 🙂
    Frau Dietz recently posted..Friendly Friday- A Right Royal Distraction