December 5, 2016

Montmartre a retreat in Paris

Paris is one of my favorite cities.  When visiting France, I always make an effort to spend at least a day in Paris discovering a new neighborhood or reliving a past find!

One of my personal favorite neighborhoods in Paris is Montmartre.

Montmartre Street Paris France

To me this is what Paris of old must have been like!  I love the winding cobblestoned streets, the central square, the views of the city below and Sacre Coeur.  Even though it is usually busy, it feels so remote.

Montemartre Paris France

Montmartre was a haven for painters like Monet, Modigliani, Picasso, and Van Gogh.  Today, it is still a haven for painters.  Maybe a famous painter of tomorrow is painting there right now.

For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Every Thursday they post new photos from their travels and invite others to join in!

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post.
    Thank you for supplying this information.
    bydgoszcz psychoterapeutka recently posted..bydgoszcz psychoterapeutka

2. Katherina says:

I know this may sound like a cliché… but Montmartre is my favorite spot in Paris – its not only the cozy streets and stunning views over the city of lights… it’s also good memories of a french romance. Thinking about Montmartre always brings a smile to my face 🙂
    Katherina recently posted..Photo Essay- The Swiss Riviera Vevey

Well adding a romance in anywhere will add to the memories! Glad to hear you have good memories of Montmartre.

3. flip says:

i love the pictures especiall the secondone, you really captivated the moment… i love paris, although ive only been there once… wish i could explore it more in the future 🙂 but its too expensive though
    flip recently posted..One Thing I Hate About Travelling

I’m glad you liked the pictures. Paris is a very special city and one that I fall in love with more and more with each visit. Hopefully you’ll make it back to explore the neighborhoods more!

4. I like Montmartre a lot, too 🙂
    crazy sexy fun traveler recently posted..PUERTO ESCONDIDO – PARADISE FOR SURFERS

5. robin says:

Lovely shots especially the first – even the name of the neighborhood conjures images of artists and bohemians…
    robin recently posted..Tapestry

6. Lovely photos, Debbie!

We haven’t been to Paris in several years and, unfortunately, it seems that we can’t go this year either, as we originally planned. However, Paris (including Montmartre, of course) is on our list for the next year.
    Mary & Adi @ TravelToSun recently posted..Easter in Romania

Unfortunately I haven’t been to Paris in a few years too. I had hoped to go in March but that trip didn’t pan out. I must get back soon!

7. Arti says:

Such a charming and peaceful place. I am sure the painters are never short of finding inspirations there! Thanks for these amazing pics as always 🙂
    Arti recently posted..Enroute to Badrinath Uttarkashi – Birahi Part II

8. jade says:

Oh, this is my favorite neighborhood in Paris too. I just get a “feeling” when I’m walking the streets around that area that I don’t get many other places. It’s just so special!

9. inka says:

A must see next time I am in Paris. Unfortunately not any time soon, but there is always a tomorrow.
    inka recently posted..Turks and expats united on Mother’s Day

I don’t have any plans to be near Paris in the near future either. There are so many other places to visit and seems like so little time!

10. Your photos are bringing back great memories. I just visited Montmartre for the first time in December. Loved it! You’re right — it’s like being in old Paris.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Sweet Home Chicago

Oh I love looking at photos because of those great memories that come rushing back!

I haven’t been to Paris, but this exactly what I imagine it to look like, oozing with charm.
    Laurel recently posted..Standing Stones of Callanish- Scotland

Paris is fantastic. Each neighborhood has its own charm and that is part of what makes Paris so very special!

12. Renee says:

What’s not to love there? Paris is such a romantic city and you’ve captured its essence in both photos.
    Renee recently posted..The Inspired Traveler – 10 – April D Thompson

13. I love walking people around here. But I when you go to Paris you only like to have a day!!! C’est triste!
    John in France recently posted..Gardens in Paris- Part 2

Oh no, I much prefer many more days to wander the city but if forced to limit my time, I always make sure to include a full day. There are so many wonderful areas in France to explore!

14. Jeremy B says:

Montmartre is an interesting area but not my favorite in Paris. Probably more diversity and culture there than any other part of Paris though!
    Jeremy B recently posted..Weekend news and events in Sacramento- Scottish Highlands Festival- Highway 50 closed in Tahoe

I really like the feel up in Montmartre. There are so many great spots in Paris, what is your favorite?

15. Muza-chan says:

Beautiful photos 🙂
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day- Akikawa Masafumi – Ai no yume

16. Jillian says:

I love Montmartre. I felt so Parisian wandering the neighborhood, if I had a beret and a baguette I would have been in heaven!
    Jillian recently posted..Photo- Kickin’ Back at the Border

Yes a beret and baguette would complete the look! Montmartre really does have a very Parisian feeling to it.

17. Mark Wiens says:

I love the shots, It looks like a lovely quiet neighborhood, perfect for strolling around on the cobblestone streets!
    Mark Wiens recently posted..Secrets to Surviving a Boring Layover in Taipei TPE

18. Beautiful shots! I haven’t been to Montmartre in several years but I agree, it’s one of the most wonderful parts of Paris. I want to go back!
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- Puerto Vallarta Sunset

That’s the worst part about writing a travel blog. . . I always want to go back!

19. Nancie says:

Lovely shots. I’ve never been, and these say GO.

Thanks for posting to Travel Photo Thursday.
    Nancie recently posted..Bush and Bin Laden Traveling Together — Can it Be

20. Grace says:

I haven’t been to Paris but Montmartre is on my list.
    Grace recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- Mexican String Puppet

21. Randy says:

Yeah, I feel you on Montmartre. I love it, and I know Beth loved shooting there. She said the light was fantastic. Great job on really capturing the feel of this storied neighborhood.

Thanks Randy! Montmartre is a special part of Paris but then Paris is full of special places.

I really like Montmartre too! I like sitting on the steps in front of Sacre Coeur and listening to somebody play the guitar while enjoying the view. The main square is nice, but it’s so touristy that I almost shy away from it… so many people trying to sell stuff, so many visitors, …. It’s definitely a must-see, but I prefer the quieter streets leading up to Montmartre. Don’t you?
    Sabrina recently posted..Cinco De Mayo in Texas

I love it all! The views from Sacre Coeur are fantastic and I really enjoy hearing street music (well most of it 🙂 ). The is just something about the main square though. . .

I’ve only walked Montmartre once but loved the feel, the activity and the views. What is it about cobblestones that always lends such ambiance to a place??
    Leigh recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- Louisbourg Soldiers – Circa 1744

1. […] is probably one of the most well known travel destinations in the world so it’s not surprising Paris is crowded during the summer! While Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, Seine River, the Louvre and the […]