April 26, 2017

Historic Castles in the Czech Republic

The Czech Republic has been a country only since 1993 when the ancient lands of Moravia, Bohemia and Silesia were combined as one. Since then millions have traveled to this area learning about the country so long kept hidden.

With a history dating back over 1,000 years, the Czech Republic boasts many UNESCO World Heritage sites, a large number of architectural and historical attractions, natural parks, medieval towns and beautiful villages.  This varied landscape has been home to Kings, European rulers, artists, and scholars.

These influential people have left their mark on the Czech Republic’s history in many ways.  Visitors can, in part, relive this history through the castles they left behind.  Today we will explore 5 castles dotting the Czech countryside.

Kost Castle Czech Republic

Kost Castle

Kost Castle

Gothic Kost is located in the “Bohemian Paradise” region which is known for its astonishing landscape and historical monuments.  Kost castle is one of the best preserved castles in the Czech Republic.  This castle is different because is it was built down in a meadow and not on top of a hill but doesn’t mean it lacked the ability to defend itself.  Part of its “charm” is its very own medieval torture chamber complete with guillotine, rack, stocks wheels and thumbscrews.

Karlstejn Castle Czech Republic

Karlstejn Castle

Karlestejn Castle

Founded in 1348 by the Czech King and Roman Emperor, Charles IV, this is one of the best symbols of the Czech Kingdom remaining.  Karlstejn castle was the home of the crown jewels and many relics important to the state. The castle defenses were challenged many times and many times they held.  Karlstejn has also been remodeled to add in both Gothic and Renaissance styles.

Krivoklat Castle Czech Republic

Krivoklat Castle

Krivoklat Castle

Another Gothic castle with an exciting history.  Originally built in the 13th century as a hunting castle, Krivoklat was a prison during the 16th century, burned down in the 16th century and was restored during the 19th.  During your visit, you will see a library containing many historical manuscripts, a display of hunting weapons, Gothic paintings and an exhibit of torture devices.

Cesky Sternberk Castle Czech Republic

Cesky Sternberk Castle

Cesky Sternberk

This Gothic beauty was built in 1241 and has been part of the noble family Sternberk for years.  Medieval Cesky Sternberk sits high on a cliff over looking the Sazava River.  The fortifications and towers reflect the medieval beginnings but the interior has been remodeled to the early Baroque style.  This castle offers a very interesting exploration of castle living.

Spilberk Castle Czech Republic

Spilberk Castle

Spilberk

This 13th century royal castle was modified to a Baroque fortress during the 17th and 18th centuries.  A very interesting aspect of Spilberk’s history is that during the Hapsburg rule, it was the most feared prison in the monarchy.  Today the “jail of nations” is home to the Brno museum offering exhibits of the history of the castle and city.  Visitors can also tour prison cells.

Have you been to any of these castles?

Which one would you like to visit?

Comments

1. whenever i see a castle i remember the disney stories

2. Going Kraut says:

Hi Debbie,

The Czech Rep. has some amazing castles. My favorite, even though very touristy, is in Cesky Krumlov. It has been in several movies and is extremely photogenic.
    Going Kraut recently posted..5 German beers which you have to try

I have not been but by the pictures I’ve seen Cesky Krumlov is a castle I would love to visit!

3. They say a man’s home is his castle, but these are way nicer than my home….

Great pics!
    Raymond @ Man On The Lam recently posted..Travel Photo of the Week — Getting Grilled in Göreme- Turkey

You made me laugh on this Friday the 13th, kudos to you! They are way nicer than my home too 🙂

4. Jenna says:

Nice post about 2 of my favorite travel topics– castles and the Czech Republic! The Czech Republic is often noted as having the largest number of castles of any country in Europe, but that statistic seems to vary depending on how they are counted…Anyway, the country is really full of them. I’ve been to some of these. Karlstejn was a bit of a disappointment because there were so many people there, but it’s very close to Prague and makes a very easy half-day-trip. Cesky Sternberk is beautiful. It overlooks the river and is surrounded by hills and forest.
    Jenna recently posted..Bali- The Sangeh Monkey Forest

I didn’t know that about the Czech Republic. I have also heard there are more castles in the Dordogne than the Loire Valley 🙂 Interesting little facts on a Friday!

5. You’re pics are so amazing! Hopefully I am heading to the Czech Republic around the holidays so i can’t wait to see them all in person!

It would be nice spending the holidays in the Czech Republic. I have often thought I would like to spend the holidays in Germany and will need to do this one of these days.

6. Jeremy B says:

I’ve only been to the castle in Prague but these are great. Visiting castles in Europe is so much fun – unlike any in the world!
    Jeremy B recently posted..Where in the world am I

The history that goes along with each castle adds to the allure. European castles are amazing and there are tons of them!

7. Renee says:

Castles and Prague….my two favorite things! Thanks, Debbie…will have to check these out the next time I am there!
    Renee recently posted..TRAVEL PHOTO THURSDAY

8. I have to admit I don’t enjoy going to castles, but I do like the pretty pictures of the outside of them. Thanks for sharing!
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Discovering Kentucky in Buenos Aires

That’s ok, I’ll visit them for you 🙂 They are beautiful from the outside and make for great pictures.

9. Adam says:

Looks amazing! We have only been to Prague and it was only for a few days, but we were blown away by the castle there. Would love to check out some of these!
    Adam recently posted..Our First Day in Vietnam- To Love it or Hate it

I am really drawn to castles and found these to be amazing. There are so many castles all over Europe. I find them in every nook and cranny!

10. Tijmen says:

I have never been to any of those castles, but would love to visit them. There are only a few castles here in Holland, but not that nice compared to the ones in the photos. They look great!

Thanks for stopping by. I have no experience with castles in Holland but I would love to come explore this 🙂

I’ve heard so many great things about the Czech Republic, but I didn’t realize there were so many beautiful castles there as well. Hope to visit some of them while in Prague for TBEX (and hopefully meet you there as well).
    Laurel recently posted..6 Things I Learned From Getting Deported

I would love to visit Prague too and am envious that you will be able to do so later this year. I’m just not sure TBEX is an option for me this year. Haven’t ruled it out yet and would very enjoy meeting you there too!

12. Castles amaze me. I haven’t been to one but these sound cool!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..James Dean and meteorites at the Griffith Observatory

I agree, castles are amazing. I am really intrigued by castles and visit as many as I can (much to my husbands chagrin 🙂 )!

1. […] Historic Castles in the Czech Republic | European TravelistaDescription : This varied landscape has been home to Kings, European rulers, artists, and scholars. These influential people have left their mark on the Czech Republic’s history in many ways. Visitors can, in part, relive this history through the … Gothic Kost is located in the “Bohemian Paradise” region which is known for its astonishing landscape and historical monuments. Kost castle is one of the best preserved castles in the Czech Republic. This castle is different because is it …http://europeantravelista.com/ .. […]