February 23, 2018

St Emilion – A Jewel in Bordeaux

Set in the middle of the Bordeaux wine region of France, St. Emilion is a UNESCO World Heritage site full of ruins that extend along the slim and towering streets.St Emilion Bordeaux Region France

Named after a monk, Emilion, who settled in a hideaway carved into a rock here during the 8th century.  It was these monks who started wine production in this fabled area.St Emilion Bordeaux France

Yes, St Emilion is full of tourists but this beautiful village is well worth a visit!

For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Every Thursday they post new photos from their travels and invite others to join in!

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Kerry-Ann says:

There is something really charming about this place – the walls that tell of bygone history, the cobbled streets. They the type of places I love to wander around and soak up the atmosphere – they always have really interesting ‘hidden’ places that are a delight.
    Kerry-Ann recently posted..Photo Highlight- Statues in Hamburg

Me too! These are one of my favorite places to wander and as you said, soak up the atmosphere.

2. inka says:

Great wine, great architecture, what do a few tourists matter?
    inka recently posted..The Pierre Loti Cafe in Istanbul

3. And around this town are the most regal vineyards, all with the look of money!! The wine too is as rich – powerful Cabernet Sauvignons!!
    John in France recently posted..Gardens in Paris- Part 3

Oh yes, wine is very important to this region. Excellent wine in a very beautiful setting!

4. Those ar some lovely photos! I love the street and architectural character from the first picture.
    Norbert | GloboTreks recently posted..6 Things to Do at Ibiza Besides Clubbing

5. Beautiful photos! Another place to add to my list I guess 🙂
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- Topkapı Palace- Istanbul

6. Lisa says:

This is beautiful! I always love interesting architecture.
    Lisa recently posted..Joy in Every Day

Architecture is great! I do have to say I like old architecture better than some of the more modern styles.

7. Nancie says:

Gorgeous! I am long overdue for a trip to Europe.

Thanks for another great week of Travel Photo Thursday.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- May 12- 2011- Lantern Parade 2011- Seoul Korea

You and me both!

I am having fun with Travel Photo Thursday. It gives me a reason to go re-live my trips!

8. It’s so thrilling to be in places as old and beautiful as this. I’d love to visit Bordeaux. Thanks for educating me about St Emilion.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Boston from the Rooftops

I think the age thing is one of the reasons I love Europe so much. It is really hard to comprehend the famous people that we there before me so many years before.

Love the long narrow streets. I didn’t realize that St. Emilion was a UNESCO site either. Another place I must get too.
    Laurel recently posted..Big Horn Sheep Photo in Kananaskis- Canada

The coast south of Bordeaux is great for a visit. Biarritz and St. Jean de Luz are beautiful!

10. Oooh, St Emilion … my favourite red 🙂

11. Katherina says:

I love the cobblestone streets in the second picture… and the first one – that’s so very french! Thanks for taking me there!
    Katherina recently posted..Photo Essay- The Swiss Riviera Vevey

Cobblestone streets are great. They make me feel like I am in an old European town even if they are new 🙂

12. Muza-chan says:

Great photos, I love old towns 🙂
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day- FictionJunction Yuuka – Kouya Ruten

I’d like to go for the wine though I’m a sucker for any European city with cobblestones too. I passed through the city of Bordeaux but never got into the little villages. St. Emilion looks like a charmer – hadn’t appreciated it was a UNESCO world heritage site.
    Leigh recently posted..Travel Photos- Prada Marfa – Art in the Middle of Nowhere

I’m with you Leigh. . . cobblestone and I’m there. Add in wine – its even better 🙂

14. I just love those old town structures, narrow alleyways and pebble roads. My only experience with exploring a place like this was in Sweden’s Old Town. I’m also sure the food and drinks there are awesome!
    David @ MalaysiaAsia recently posted..Pantai Cenang in Langkawi – Plane View

Narrow alleys and cobblestone really draw me in to towns too! I haven’t been to Sweden, looks like I need to look into that.

15. Spencer says:

I love Bordeaux. It is such a beautiful yet underrated city. Infact it is my favourite place in France.
    Spencer recently posted..Today’s Super Hot Hotel Deals for the Dominican Republic!

Bordeaux is special. They have spent time “cleaning it up” so it presents a better face. Interesting that this is your favorite place in France, I don’t hear this from many people! I’d love to learn more about what makes it special to you.

16. Christy says:

What a beautiful place you found in the region known for wine!:) I missed France on my last trip to Germany and Italy as there simply wasn’t enough time, and I think it was wise. There should be more time allocated for a trip to France to visit gems like these:)
    Christy recently posted..Hong Kong Street Snack- Little egg waffles Gai Dan Chai 雞蛋仔

I agree with you that France shouldn’t be rushed. There are tons of areas to visit that really are off the beaten path. I am hoping to get back soon and continue the exploration!

17. Great photos – it would be so much fun to walk through those cobblestone streets!
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Saying Farewell to Mayhem

It is a great place to roam. The entire area is full of great villages and good food and drink!

1. […] St Emilion – A Jewel in Bordeaux is a post from: European Travelista […]