March 24, 2017

Rocamadour ~ A Miraculous Village

One of the reasons I am enjoying participating in Travel Photo Thursday is it gives me an opportunity to relive some past trips!

This week I am sharing with you the beautiful pilgrimage site of Rocamadour.Rocamadour France in the Dordogne

East of Bordeaux in the Dordogne region of France sits the pilgrimage site of Rocamadour.  Clinging to the side of a cliff, Rocamadour has been important to pilgrims traveling the Santiago de Campostela route for 1,000 years.

Among the religious elements on the cliff are the Chapelle Notre Dame, which houses the miraculous Black Madonna, a Basilica, Saint-Michel Chapel and Bishops Palace.

There are stairs or an elevator leading to the sanctuaries on the cliff from the top or bottom.

The Medieval village below contains some impressive houses and is worthy of a stop.Medieval Village Rocamadour France Dordogne

Whether you visit Rocamadour for the religious relics or just for the beautiful vista, you won’t be disappointed!

For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Every Thursday they post new photos from their travels and invite others to join in!

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. 日本と朝鮮の比較は欧米人・中国人・インド人・中近東人・黒人にとって何の価値も無い比較なのだが日本人と朝鮮人に生まれてしまうとこのような何の価値も無い比較に興味を持たされてしまうのである。 炎症が治ってからまた新しいミクプリを開けて使ってみたんだけど、
    満州矢追純一・モルモン飛鳥昭雄・ハローバイバイ関・ムー・スピリチュアリスト  宇宙人に助けてもらいたいです。 ユダヤに憧れています。 白人と中国人という現実が苦しいので白人と中国人を直視せずに宇宙人とユダヤを見ています。
    飛行機でも人工衛星でもないならば、いったい何なのか。
    https://kippt.com recently posted..https://kippt.com

2. incredible photos. i always wonder HOW people built things onto cliffs – and they seem to do so, all over the world, throughout time.

Yes, it is pretty impressive how they could build things without all the tools we seem to find necessary! Or is that just my husband telling me that?

3. Rocamadour looks amazing. I never heard of it before. I’d love to see the religious relics — so interesting!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Feel Lucky

4. Lori says:

Interesting! Had no idea about this area – so I simply love the photos and liked the description! This goes to show how many interesting places are there in the world!

5. Nancie says:

Stunning shots. I’d like to head to airport right now.

Thanks for posting to Travel Photo Thursday.
    Nancie recently posted..Through the Sandbox Lens 29- Gas Prices at the Korean Pump May 20th- 2011

6. Arti says:

I like the entire old world charm the place has! Looks beautiful and quite peaceful too in your fabulous pics 🙂
    Arti recently posted..Enroute to Badrinath Joshimath Gate System

7. I’m moving to Europe in just a couple weeks and can’t wait to visit places like this! So beautiful … romantic … and well amazing!
    Cheryl Howard recently posted..Christmas Morning at Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna- Austria

I was in Rocamadour for 2 nights a few years ago while cycling the Dordogne area. I love your photos and what a nice reminder of a very special area in France.

One of my dreams is to spend more time in the Dordogne. Is it a tough ride or are there areas that are easier?

9. Ayngelina says:

This is definitely something I would want to relive. I haven’t been to this village but France is one of my favourite countries.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Where everyone is dying to get in

Can’t argue with you, France is very special and there are so many great villages waiting to be discovered by me!

10. Dave and Deb says:

We were there last year! So cool. I love it when I pop by a website and see a place that I’ve been. I could explore old Medieval villages in Europe forever. I didn’t even know there was a travel photo thursday going on. Do a lot of people participate? We may have to join the fun:)
    Dave and Deb recently posted..Explore New Zealand in a Campervan

Me too! Its so much fun commenting on places you’ve been.

Look into it. I think there is usually about 10 and I’m don’t know if there is a limit but I am finding it fun reliving trips!

11. I can’t imagine the work it took to build such a castle right on the mountain.
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..Photo of the Week- Kroombit Cattle Ranch

It is amazing when you think about how old buildings are. How did they do that? Part of the allure. . .

12. How fun to go explore all of these little villages!
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Graffiti Art in Buenos Aires

13. Muza-chan says:

So beautiful, I love old towns 🙂
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day- Seira Kagami – Never

14. The Dropout says:

Oooohh. A mysterious brooding castle. I love it!
    The Dropout recently posted..The There’s More To Life Than This’ Feeling

15. I did think the light made it look quite interesting, almost mysterious, but as a result it does miss out on the incredible colours that you get in their stone in this area. A great place!
    John in France recently posted..Packing your Bags!

You’re right, John, there are quite a lot of colors and details that don’t show up with the lighting and it is a great place!

16. jade says:

You know I love castle photos- this sounds like a great one too. I like this series where we are relive travel memories- it perks me up each week!

17. Tijmen says:

I love old villages with castles, I suppose you took the stairs instead of the elevator to the top? 🙂 I’m almost ashamed to say I have never been to France in my life, its so close from Holland but it never happened.
    Tijmen recently posted..5 Things to See and Do in Accra- Ghana

HA HA. . . Actually I started at the top and walked down! Up would be way too hard 🙂 You need to visit France!

Beautiful photos, I really need to explore more of France.
    Laurel recently posted..Schuttberg at Sunset in Stuttgart

19. Katherina says:

Beautiful pictures! I’ve been to a similar village in the South of France… I’m so bad with names that I even forgot (it was back then, when I didn’t have neither a journal nor a blog!)
    Katherina recently posted..Small is Beautiful Confession of a Food Enthusiast

Oh gosh I feel your pain. I look back at pictures and know generally where they are but have not clue what they are of or any real specifics other than I liked it! Its crazy.

20. Beautiful photo of the castle in Rocamadour but it needs a little more sunshine! I think you could improve the look of this photo if you added more light. Try to work on this for next time! 🙂
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..California State Parks announces 70 state parks will be closed

1. […] Most Popular – Rocamadour – A Miraculous Village […]