December 12, 2017

Unique & Traditional Appenzellerland

Appenzellerland may not be a region of Switzerland you’ve heard of, but if you want to step back in time then it is one you should visit!

Tradition and nature are kings here in northeast Switzerland.  If you crave placid lakes, charming rolling hills, amazing scenery, quaint villages full of lovely decorated houses and friendly people, welcome to Appenzellerland.

Appenzellerland, Switzerland by sharon.schneider, on Flickr

Appenzellerland, Switzerland by sharon.schneider, on Flickr

This farming area is full of velvety green meadows and cows.  If you time it right, you could witness the trek of cows to higher pastures in May/June or back to the valley during August/September.  Due to all the cows, cheese lovers will be in cheese heaven.

Moving the cows Appenzellerland Switzerland

Moving the cows Appenzellerland Switzerland

Appenzellerland is the most Swiss region of all and this tradition extends to crafts and festivals.  Alp-Stobede is a great event full of Appenzell string music, dancing and yodeling.  Oh yes, you will also see many people in traditional dress.

Appenzellerland Switzerland

Foggy view Appenzellerland by puyol5, on Flickr

The outdoor activities really don’t stop.  If you like to hike, bike, ski, snowshoe, paraglide and more you can experience it all here amongst the beautiful mountains and hillsides.  There are over 750 miles of marked paths that criss-cross the countryside and climb to the mountain tops.  If you prefer to reach the mountain tops by one of the cable cars that’s possible too!  Just sit back and be amazed at the scenery unfolding!

Appenzellerland by vince42, on Flickr

Appenzellerland by vince42, on Flickr

Earlier I mentioned that Appenzellerland is the most Swiss region in Switzerland and tradition is very important here.  One of these traditions is called Landsgemeinde and it is completely unique to Appenzellerland.   In the US we express our right to vote by casting our secret ballot at local polling places but in Appenzellerland it is done a little differently.  Here on the last Sunday of April, Appenzellerlander’s meet in Appenzell to vote.  The tradition of Landsgemeinde dates back to the middle ages and is the way the people of this region determine public policy by a show of hands.  They all meet in the town square and vote by raising their hands!  Can you imagine this happening in the US?

Landsgemeinde in Appenzeller by Nicklaarakkers

Landsgemeinde in Appenzeller by Nicklaarakkers

While all of Appenzellerland sounds intriguing to me, I would most like to witness Landsgemeinde!

What would be the reason you would visit Appenzellerland?

Scenery, outdoor activities or local tradition?  Tell me about it. . .

Comments

1. inka says:

Ah, of course I will translate. It means: the man from Appenzell loves his cheese so much that he devours it together with the plate.
    inka recently posted..Mount Nebo – Moses saw and then he died

Ah now it makes perfect sense! Appenzeller cheese is good but not sure I’d get so into it that I’d eat the plate 🙂

2. Norbert says:

I had never heard of Appenzellerland, but it does look beautiful!
    Norbert recently posted..Antigua Guatemala – Photo Essay

3. That first photo is stunning. I have heard such wonderful things about Switzerland.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..My Daily Toilet Paper Allowance and More Bazaar Rules

Switzerland is a great country with lots to do and see especially if you like the outdoors!

4. inka says:

I can’t help myself, I just HAVE to quote something in German . Dr Appenzeller, dr appeneller dr frisst den kas glich mitm teller. Sorry but that’s what the Swiss in Basle taught me. Lovely part of Switzerland and not only because of the great cheese.
    inka recently posted..Mount Nebo – Moses saw and then he died

5. Arti says:

Lakes, charming rolling hills, awesome scenery, quaint villages…Yes I do crave all of that! And Appenzellerland sounds like it can satiate my hunger for these! I would love to visit the region for all that it has to offer 🙂
    Arti recently posted..Exploring The Real Beauty Around

6. Christina says:

Have travelled Switzerland extensively, but haven’t been to Appenzell yet. My favourite Swiss region is Ticino, the Italian-speaking part. To Appenzell, I’d go for the cheese. Appenzeller cheese is amazing!
    Christina recently posted..German edition- Snowboarden auf Mt Ruapehu mit Video

Oh gosh it would be too hard for me to pick a favorite region! Ticino is wonderful and was a complete surprise to me. I had no idea that is was the Southern California of Switzerland.

7. Appenzellerland looks so charming! It’s nice to read about places other than Zurich, Geneva or Lucern in Switzerland too. 🙂
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Where in the World am I

8. Katherina says:

Can you believe it? I haven’t made it to Appenzellerland yet! But it’s very high on my list… why? Well specially for its green landscapes! That last picture – that’s exactly what I mean 🙂
    Katherina recently posted..Finding an Upside to Switzerland’s Housing Shortage

You should go before you move to London! I would love to read about your impressions.

9. I’d like to visit Appenzellerland for all of those reasons – scenery, outdoor activities and local traditions. I haven’t been to that part of Switzerland. Would love to witness the “moving of the cows”! Great photos and background information.

The whole area does sound very interesting and beautiful! For some reason, I love the cows of Switzerland and Germany so this is fascinating to me too. I think the festival with dancing and music would be grand also.

10. jade says:

Okay- Moving the cows looking and sounds so silly and awesome at the same time.

I agree, it would be amazing to witness this unless I was in a car stuck on the road because of those dang cows! I would probably find it great for a while and then I would be annoyed 🙂

11. Jan Ross says:

Oh, that all looks wonderful. When I think of Switzerland, I think of chocolate, but you don’t mention it so this must not be an area to find it?

Oh no, you can find chocolate here! There is no lack of chocolate in Switzerland 🙂

Your pics remind me of childhood vacations in the South of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Tirol 🙂 So nice!
    Sabrina recently posted..Do You Want To Speak Texan Here Are Some Texas Expressions For You

What nice memories those must be! I love reminiscing about family vacations. Makes me smile every time 🙂

1. Chocolate And Cheese In The Appenzellerland

[…] s the way the people of this region determine public policy by a show of hands. […]