February 23, 2018

Fabulous Friday – European Tidbits

Europe is a fun and fascinating place and on the Fabulous Friday I thought I’d share some fun and interesting facts about the European Continent!

Dune Pilat Southwest France

Dune Pilat by Cehagenmerak

• Europe is the 2nd smallest continent yet is the 3rd most populated
  • There are no deserts on the continent of Europe
  • In 1989, Hungary became the first communist-block country to open its borders with Western Europe
  • At one time, 80%-90% of Europe was covered in forests.  Today it is about 3%
  • Paris is Europe’s largest city
  • Dune du Pilat is the largest sand dune in Europe.  It is 100 meter high, 500 meters wide and stretches 3 kilometers along the Southwest coast of France
  • Due to the movement in the sand of the Dune du Pilat, France is moving inland 7 meters each year
  • The little blue cartoon creatures known as Smurfs are Belgian, created by Peyo
  • There are palm trees in Switzerland
  • Europe is home to the worlds smallest country – Vatican City – and home to the largest country – Russia
  • The natural boundary between Europe and Asia is the Ural mountains
  • Ireland consumes the most beer per person with Germany coming in second

Ural Mountains

Ural Mountains by Hardscarf

What other interesting tidbits about Europe do you have to share?

Comments

Very interesting, I had no idea that the Smurfs were Belgium. Your fact about the forests makes me sad, but I guess given the large population should be no surprise. The only other one I would add is that Europe is also home to the world’s smallest state – Vatican City.
    Laurel recently posted..Surfing in Munich

It is sad that the forests are so much smaller but I’m not sure if there was a different way for the population to grow!

2. The Dropout says:

I can’t add any interesting facts, although I tell you another astounding fact. The Smurfs are huge in Vietnam! Who knew?
    The Dropout recently posted..The Battle of the Indian Aunties

3. kent says:

wow…very romantic place…it’s 3rd most populated but seems very clean and nice place
    thanks for posting
    kent recently posted..Tips in Finding the Right Partner

4. Fun! I didn’t know most of these facts… and I’m still stunned Switzerland has palm trees. Who knew??
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Pole- Pedal- Paddle

5. inka says:

And San Marino is the only European State which mints stamps which are valid only in..San Marino. You can’t even send a letter to Italy with them. Love these tidbits.
    inka recently posted..Glamourgranny is going east

6. Katherina says:

Switzerland’s palm trees are one of the best surprises I’ve had when I moved! 🙂
    Katherina recently posted..Finding an Upside to Switzerland’s Housing Shortage

They are a complete surprise because they have nothing to do with our vision of Switzerland! Love that area too 🙂

7. The smurfs are Belgian?!
    The Travel Chica recently posted..My Daily Toilet Paper Allowance and More Bazaar Rules

8. Tijmen says:

You keep suprising me with all these things I never heard of, yet I live in Europe 🙂 Where can you find these palmtree’s in Switzerland? I wonder whats the story behind the Dune du Pilat, its situated around tree’s. Must be a reason why only that part turned into a dune and the rest just became a forest.
    Tijmen recently posted..Interview with Megan from OnMyWayRTW

You can find palm trees in the Ticino area of Switzerland. It is down by the Italian border and is quite fascinating. The weather and surroundings are nothing like you expect in Switzerland. In fact, it is known as the Southern California of Switzerland! Hot balmy weather. . . it is very nice 🙂 I missed seeing the Dune du Pilat because my plane was late in arriving but the area is quite forested.

9. I love these tips in Europe! I have to admit I didn’t know any of them! However, very interesting to read all this info. I am a bit of a nerd and history buff when it comes to this stuff so it’s fun to learn things like this. If I enter any trivia contests with obscure questions on Europe, I should really do well! 🙂
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Memorial Day weekend in Sacramento- Sacramento Jazz Festival- KISS- and more!