November 25, 2017

Honoring D-Day

Earlier this week was the 67th anniversary of D-Day, so here are some pictures of  Normandy in honor of all the men and women  who so bravely fought for our freedom!

Today, the beautiful idyllic beaches belie the horror that was experienced here many years ago.Normandy Beach France

What amazed me was the amount of German Artillery and other military armaments that are still in the area.German Artillery found in Normandy France

Pont du Hoc was the sight of a awful battle which resulted in the land being pockmarked by all the bombs that were dropped.  The craters can still be seen today and many are more than 6’ deep!Pont du Hoc Normandy France

One of the most amazing and serene places to visit is the Normandy American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer.  This somber place overlooks Omaha Beach and the English Channel.

There are 9,387 US service men and women buried here.American Cemetery Normandy France

At the center of the cemetery is the The Spirit of American Youth Rising from the Waves statue.Normandy Statue at American Cemetery France

Etched on the inner face of the arc surrounding the statue are the words:

THIS EMBATTLED SHORE,
PORTAL OF FREEDOM,
IS FOREVER HALLOWED BY THE IDEALS,
THE VALOR AND THE SACRIFICES
OF OUR FELLOW COUNTRYMEN

For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Every Thursday they post new photos from their travels and invite others to join in!

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. What i do not understood iss iin truth how you’re now nott really much more neatly-appreciated than you might be right now.
    You are so intelligent. You already know therefore considerably in the
    case of this topic, made me individually imagine it freom so many varied angles.
    Its likee men andd women don’t serem to be involved except it iis something to accomplish with Girl gaga!
    Your personbal stuffs outstanding. Alway handle it up!
    gourmet coffee new orleans recently posted..gourmet coffee new orleans

2. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted
    at this site is actually good.
    barista Coffees recently posted..barista Coffees

3. Howdy, There’s no doubt that your bloog coul be having internet browser compatibiljty problems.
    When I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however when opening in Internet Explorer, iit has
    some overlapping issues. I just wanted to give you a quick hears up!
    Aart from that, grteat website!
    buy coffee online recently posted..buy coffee online

4. Adrian B. says:

Seeing these pictures I can’t help but think how fragile life really is. One single man’s madness and appetite for destruction led to the death of millions during WWII.
    I feel lucky that me and my family live in these [relatively] peaceful times. The world we all live in may be far from perfect but at least – and so I hope and pray to God – horrible things like the WWII are not likely to happen again.

Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos, Debbie.
    Adrian B. recently posted..Three Essential Landmarks in Sofia

I hope we don’t ever have to relive things like WWII either. I think by visiting sights like these help us learn and hopefully prohibit another mass war.

5. John says:

The Normandy Beaches are a thought provoking place to visit you have captured the essence well in just a few loevly phots and your text. The American Cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer is a place to reflect, but the German Cemetery at La Cambe is also well worth a visit as it shows that the most of the young Germans who died there were not the monsters their old leaders back in Germany were.
    John recently posted..Britain’s most popular canal

Thanks for the tip on the German Cemetery. There were so many people caught up in that horrible war that were really just trying to protect themselves and their families. It is a shame that we seem to blame all Germans.

6. Muza-chan says:

Great article 🙂
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day- Afilia Saga East – Knee High Egoist

7. Kerry-ann says:

A beautiful photographic tribuite to D-Day. The landscape resulting from the bombs surprised me – so many and so deep. Amazing. We can enjoy our way of lives and our freedom because of those brave men and women.
    Kerry-ann recently posted..Learning the meaning of signage in Castle point- NZ

Thank you! It is very strange being there and seeing the landscape looking so serene and imagining what was going on that day.

8. Debbie, I love the photos — thank you so much for remembering D-Day in your photo submission.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Puttin’ on the Glitz

9. Mark Wiens says:

Can’t believe that terrain of Pont du Hoc, looks like the natural Chocolate Hills of the Philippines, but this instead was created by bombs…
    Mark Wiens recently posted..Yangon- Myanmar Burma- Important Travel Information Guide

10. JenniferU says:

What a nice tribute to D-Day. It is sobering as a traveler to see the parts of Europe that were affected by WWII and its aftermath.
    JenniferU recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- Palazzo Pubblico – Siena- Italy

11. Great shots Debbie! Your photos were taken awfully close to one I put on my site yesterday 😉
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- Olvera Street- Los Angeles

12. Nancie says:

Wonderful post. My Dad served in Italy and he was in Holland when the war ended. He was only 15 when he enlisted. He’s now 88, and one of the youngest Canadian Vets left.

Thanks for posting to Travel Photo Thursday
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday- June 9- 2011 — Look Down- Way Down –Petronas Twin Towers- Kuala Lumpur- Malaysia

Having 2 adult children, I can’t imagine my “babies” enlisting in the Army at 15 but that is what they did during WWII. So glad he is still around, they aren’t a lot WWII vets left. Have you chronicled his time in the war? My friend did with her dad and it is a great tribute and way to keep it alive.

It’s crazy to think that all this happened not even that far in the past…
    Sabrina recently posted..Diving in the Red Sea

14. I took a trip to the Normandy Beaches a few years back and loved it!

15. Great choice in honoring those who fought on D-Day. I can’ t imagine the sacrifices they made.
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..Photo of the Week- Smart Bird!

Thanks! It is even more amazing when you are there and realize how massive this invasion was. Its incredible!

1. […] D-Day and the troops who risked their lives to liberate France from German occupation .  The D-Day beaches in Normandy France are a huge tourist draw but it seems as if time has forgotten those soldiers who […]

2. […] the D-day beaches in Normandy is a must see. This photo, taken at the American cemetery, tells the story of all the Americans […]