December 17, 2017

Magical Mittenwald – Bavaria at its Best!

Mittenwald is one of those scenic Bavarian villages that you’ve been waiting to visit.

During my trip to Europe later this summer, I will be making a stop in Mittenwald on my way to Innsbruck.  Why?  Simply because it is known to be a picturesque Bavarian village and I can’t seem to get enough of them 🙂

Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Mittenwald by Bayern tourismus Marketin gGmbH

But there is so much more to Mittenwald than just a pretty face!

Mittenwald lies in a beautiful valley created by the Isar river and is surrounded by majestic mountains.  Goethe visited in 1786 and declared it “A living picture book!”  I believe part of this was due to its idyllic location and the other part must be all the frescoed buildings lining the Obermarkt.  The frescoes covering the buildings of Mittenwald tell the story of this historic town.

Frescoes of Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Frescoes in Mittenwald by Alaskan Dude, on Flickr

There is also the St. Peter & Paul church built in the Rococo style between 1738 – 1740. The church is full of frescoes inside and out and is the center of the village.  It also hosts an organ festival during late summer.

Loveley Street Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Lovely Street in Mittenwald by bangli 1, on Flickr

The highest private brewery in Germany is located right here in Mittenwald.  Yumm more beer!  They offer tours complete with a tasting at the end 🙂

The surrounding mountains and lakes are begging you to explore them.  There are many hikes in the valley and even to the mountaintops.  Whether you want a hike of a couple hours or an all day trek, walking in the nearby woods or mountains will charm and fascinate you.

Mittenwald Bavaria Germany Mountains

Mountains of Mittenwald by TeunSpaans

Of course, if hiking your way to the top of mountain isn’t in the cards for you, maybe the Karwendel Cable Car or Kranzberg chairlift would be more suitable.  The Karwendel Cable Car rises to 7,360 feet where you will find a nature reserve and an incredibly scenic vista.  The Kranzberg chair lift whisks you up to almost 4,000 feet and some of the most beautiful walking areas.  Spend your time walking through alpine flowers, pass lakes and even a restaurant or two.  If you’re here during the winter this area offers great skiing and boarding opportunities too!

There is one thing Mittenwald is very famous for that you might not expect in a Bavarian village – Mittenwald is known worldwide for its violin making!

Being on the Roman trade route from Venice to Augsburg, Mittenwald was a very prosperous town during the medieval age. When shipping became more popular, Mittenwald’s economy sank.  Thanks to its own resident, Matthias Klotz, Mittenwald once again flourished!

Klotz Violin 1794 Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Klotz Violin 1794

Being trained by masters in Italy, Klotz brought his renowned craftsmanship home to Mittenwald. It was during the 18th century that this tiny village received international acclaim for violin making thanks to Matthias Klotz!

While in Mittenwald you will find many things related to violins.   You may wish to explore the Geigenbaumuseum where you will learn about the local history of violin making while listening to beautiful music.  Or a visit to one of the many Master Violin Maker’s workshops may be in order! Here you can witness violin making firsthand.  If you haven’t had enough of violins at this point, stop by the Violin Making School which as part of its curriculum includes training in all string instruments.

Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Mittenwald by Hesse1309

Yes, there is much more to Mittenwald than her pretty face and I can’t wait to see it with my own eyes!

Have you been to Mittenwald?

What is your favorite Bavarian village?

Comments

1. This piece of writing will assist the internet visitors for
    setting up new web site or even a weblog from start to end.
    toyota viet nam recently posted..toyota viet nam

2. Fine way of telling, and good article to get information regarding my presentation focus, which i
    am going to convey in university.
    trainstation pirater recently posted..trainstation pirater

3. Emily says:

We are looking forward to a short stop in Mittenwald on way to Innsbruck in mid September. But we will need to leave suitcases somewhere while we go strolling. Getting conflicting advice re luggage. Bahn says there is no left luggage place but someone else said lockers were on another platform, then another post elsewhere said the baggage area was cordoned off and he had to carry his pack about.
    Is anyone able to advise where suitcases might be left for a couple of hours?

Hi Emily! I don’t know the answer to your question but I will be there late August. I’ll take a look and see what I can find at the train station. The other thing you could do is go to Innsbruck and leave your bags at your hotel. Then take the train back for a few hours in Mittenwald. It is a very short train ride.

• Emily says:

Thank you for that Debbie. Most kind – I will look out for your reply. The promising advice I had was posted on TripAdvisor in April 2010 and said. – The train station is not serviced by desk personnel, but there are luggage lockers outside, next to the first track.

• Emily says:

Wondering if you had a chance to check out the luggage situation at Mittenwald station. Hope you are enjoying your trip there.

Oh Emily sorry. . . yes the Mittenwald station is unmanned and I did not see anything looking like a locker. After taking this trip, I think heading into Innsbruck and taking the train from there for a day trip to Mittenwald would be best.

Enjoy. . . it is a very cute and quaint village!

• Emily says:

Thanks Debbie. I did try the Tourist office at Mittenwald which is about 350m from the train station, and they kindly say that they will hold bags within their opening hours which are basically office hours. So we may take advantage of that or do as you suggest and go to Innsbruck first.Thank you very much for looking about and for all your interesting about Mittenwald.

• Elaine says:

We had very good help with luggage – took it the the Travel Information office about 300m from the station. Staff kindly minded it all day while we explored the town. The lockers at the station were not available – this was Sept 2011. No fee to leave the luggage for the day at the Travel Info office. They have office hours.

The Tourist Bureau is a very short walk from the station. There are no lockers available and it is good to hear they were willing to help out! Beautiful village, Mittenwald, and should not be missed although I did enjoy spending the night. The village is very different after the hordes of tourists depart 🙂

I haven’t been to Mittenwald yet, but it’s on my list. I’ve heard it’s incredible and I love charming little German villages. I did’t know about the violins, interesting.
    Laurel recently posted..An Expat’s Response to “Germany is the least funny country in the world”

What a cute town! I bet you’ll have so much fun 🙂 And the food there should be delicious too. I love the little local restaurants in the small towns in Southern Germany.
    Sabrina recently posted..A Hacked Skype Account – The Problem with Automatic Recharge

6. Jillian says:

It’s like something out of the movie Heidi! As a kid I always wanted to live in a town like this!
    Jillian recently posted..Nature Deficit Disorder

7. Have you actually visited every scenic Bavarian village? I have to admit it’s not a bad plan from reading your posts and looking at your photos.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Meeting Expats and Drinking Wine at 0800 Vino

Oh no, did I imply that I had? I have been to this area a few times and it always seems to draw me in for more! I just can’t seem to get enough of the charming villages, lakes, mountain, castles, food and people.

8. oh, i can picture myself slaving away at a violin under those mountains. with a delicious bavarian beverage to aid me in maintaing focus. im a big fan of the little bavarian villages too! lived in nuremberg for a while, and did lots of little day trips. i guess my favourite would be berchestgaden (no idea about the spelling), but it seems to have a lot of similarities to mittenwald. id love to go back for some more exploration!
    jamie – cloud people adventures recently posted..Wine A Full- Interesting- Exciting Experience

HA HA your image sounds great! I haven’t been to Bertchesgaden yet but would love to see that area.

9. Love the architecture, the old buildings the paintings and the mountains as a contrast
    Have fun when you go
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Journey to Sailor Captain for two Women Set to Sail

10. Beautiful! This is why I love this area of Europe. Love the violins, architecture, mountains, and hiking. One of my ideal places to visit!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Canucks gone wild! Canada’s love affair with hockey

I agree with you on this one, Bavaria is awesome! I already feel so calm and peaceful just thinking about it 🙂 This will be my first visit to Mittenwald, have you been there before?

11. The Dropout says:

It does look quite magical!
    Mountains and violins. Lovely.
    The Dropout recently posted..Bumboats and Bicycles – A Day On Pulau Ubin

12. I can see why you want to visit Mittenwald. I’d like to put it on my itinerary for my upcoming trip to Germany, so will be checking out the logistics of getting there. Your post has me convinced that I should at least try!
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..What Happened in Vegas

I do highly recommend this part of Bavaria! Love everything about it. Not very far from Munich and you can see lakes, mountains and castles. Would love to read about your excursion to Bavaria.

13. Senaf says:

Oh my gosh..the 3rd picture down of the church and steeple..that is the church my parents were married in. I went to Mittenwald for my honeymoon in 1972..actually traveled in Germany to Mittenwald and Garmisch Partenkirsche. Now that is where you see the Zugspitze. You can get up to the top of the mountain by cable car or train. I never made it up there since I was chicken. If I were to go back, I would go back to Garmisch Partenkirsche. This is bringing me back to some beautiful times. I also went to Insbrook. Beautiful Austria. Thank you for posting!
    Senaf recently posted..History on The Statue of Liberty

How awesome would it be to be married in that beautiful church! I have been to this area couple times and stayed in Garmisch/Partenkirchen on my last visit. We actually stayed in the Partenkirchen side at the Gasthof Fraundorfer which has a great Bavarian feel to it. Love this part of Bavaria 🙂

• Senaf says:

So do I. It was my first time and I took lots of pictures. In Garmish we stayed at a guesthouse and we had a million dollar view in the dining area. We could see the Zupspitze and I know I took pictures of it but cannot find it. I still have movies to convert..and I think they are on the movie. It was on the main road. This is going back more than 30 years. Wow! it looks the same. I love the artwork on the buildings.
        Senaf recently posted..History on The Statue of Liberty

14. It does sound like an awesome place to visit. Any place with scenic mountains really excites me.
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Yellowstone Pictures- A Photo Essay

It looks beautiful. I love the medieval frescos that adorn walls around in this part of Europe. Another part of Germany that I haven’t seen yet but really want to is Schwarzwald. Have you been?
    Sophie recently posted..Kuwait Towers

Unfortunately I have not made it to Schwarzwald yet. I really want to do some hiking/walking without bags in the Black Forest! There are more quaint villages here too.

1. pleated says:

Luxury Dress

Magical Mittenwald – Bavaria at its Best! | European Travelista

2. MBI Landscaping…

Magical Mittenwald – Bavaria at its Best! | European Travelista…

3. […] Mittenwald Germany is known for it’s beautiful painted facades.  The paintings have all kinds of colors in them -red, green, yellow and white – but not much blue.  I finally found one that had blue in it and it’s on one of my favorite streets! […]

4. […] out where I would spend my time but I have a feeling a lot of it would be spent in some little Bavarian village! Wachau by jay8085, on […]

5. […] divulged in Magical Mittenwald – Bavaria at its Best I am a complete sucker for the quaint villages so often found deep in Bavaria near the Austrian […]

6. […] have never given much thought to Goatherders until I ran smack dab into them in the hills above Mittenwald.I really thought they only existed in this song or the Hummel […]

7. […] up to a lake above Mittenwald to cool off!  Surrounded by the mountains it was a great place to relax and put my feet in the […]