March 29, 2017

Yes Virginia, there are Waterfalls in Europe!

Back in May I wrote a post titled Rhine Falls – Europe’s Biggest and the most common reaction was that readers didn’t seem to know Europe had waterfalls like these!  At the time, the only other waterfall I could name was Trummelbach so I decided to look into it and see what waterfall experiences there are in Europe.

I’m happy to say, there are quite a lot of waterfalls in Europe.  Most don’t come any near the Rhine Falls or other falls you are familiar with but they all are quite beautiful and in areas that are well worth a visit.  So here are 7 European waterfalls you might want to take a look at.

Dettifoss waterfall Iceland

Dettifoss Waterfall Iceland

Dettifoss waterfall is in Northeast Iceland and is the most powerful in all of Europe.  The falls are part of the Vatnajökull National Park and on the Jökulsá á Fjöllum river (I know, thats easy for me to say!).  Dropping into the Jökulsárgljúfur canyon, which is a smaller version of the Grand Canyon, this falls look as magnificent as they are powerful!

Reichenbach Falls Switzerland

Reichenbach Falls by Audriusa

Near Meiringen in central Switzerland are the Reichenbach Falls.  Sitting on the Aar River the falls can be reached by the Reichenbachfall-Bahn funicular.  At the top you will be treated to magnificent views that include the tiered falls as they make their way down 250 meters.  If you are a Sherlock Holmes fan, you will know this is the place where Sherlock dies in “The Adventures of the Final Problem.”

Trummelbach Falls Switzerland

Trummelbach Falls by by Doogsta, on Flickr

Trummelbach Falls are Europe’s largest subterranean waterfalls.  Located near Lauterbrunnen Switzerland, the water falls down from the glaciers of the mighty Eiger, Jungfrau and Monch.  These falls are accessible by underground elevator, tunnels and paths.  It is said that the water makes the “mountain shudder and makes a thundering noise.”

Langfoss Waterfall Norway

Langfoss Waterfall by Frokor

Langfoss waterfall is located in Norway and enjoys a year-round flow as the water comes from the lakes and snow pack up above.  These beautiful falls cascade down into the Åkrafjorden.  Unlike the normal waterfalls, the water just seems to rush over the rocks never loosing contact with them.

Plitvice Waterfalls Croatia

Plitvice Waterfalls by paradise on flikr

Plitvice waterfalls are located in the Plitvice Lakes National Park in Croatia and are one of the main draws to the country.  This series of amazing waterfalls connects 16 lakes in the park.  There are many falls in the park and at times it seems that water is everywhere and seeping out of every piece of rock or dirt.

Krimml Waterfall Austria

Krimml Waterfall by Emha

Krimml waterfalls in the Salzburgerland part of Austria actually cascades down in 3 different levels.  The longest falls in Europe are best viewed by the paths leading up to different viewing points.  Coming from glacial water, Krimml falls tumbles into the Salzach River and makes its way to the Black sea via the Danube.  These falls are very popular all year round.

High Force Waterfall England

High Force Waterfall England

Yes there are even water falls in England!  Proof is the High Force falls on the River Tees in County Durham.  The entire rives falls over the cliff forming two separate falls.  England’s biggest falls are very beautiful.

Do you enjoy waterfalls?  Tell me which one would you most like to visit?

Comments

1. I searched for this title and discovered this, great read
    digital two way radio recently posted..digital two way radio

2. Lori says:

Great photos! Indeed there are waterfalls in Europe too. In last year’s vacation we enjoyed some small waterfalls in the Apuseni Mountains (Western Carpathians, Romania). These waterfalls are not so famous as the ones mentioned in your post, but it was amazing to hear the water drop, the smell is a particular one… I like waterfalls (and yes seen some, but only in Romania – different places).

I like the sound of waterfalls too! Plus I think waterfalls are great no matter the size.

3. sheril says:

The Big one in Iceland its awesome !! 🙂
    sheril recently posted..Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol

4. This is a lovely compilation of waterfalls! I guess i’m just lucky that the Philippines has a lot of waterfalls scattered around the islands. Most of them look the same though. The photos show the different beauty of waterfalls. I want to go in all of them! 😀
    Micamyx|Senyorita recently posted..Puerto Princesa Fam Tour by AirPhil Express: Honda Bay and Iwahig River Tour

Waterfalls seem so peaceful in a strange way since there is so much power behind them! Yes you are lucky to live in a place with a lot of waterfalls.

5. What a big waterfall in Iceland! It’s really a country with so many assets, I’d love to explore it some time.
    Sofia – As We Travel recently posted..Daily Travel Photo – Secret Organization In The Mess

6. Ruth says:

Debbie,
    I love waterfalls. It is one of the things I like to visit while traveling. My favorite (from this bunch) is the Plitvice Falls. I have been to the Rhine falls and they are big.

I would love to visit Plitivice and the one in Iceland! That really really got my attention. The Rhine Falls are pretty impressive.

7. Thanks for the research and the pictures, these are wonderful. Never saw waterfalls in Europe but don’t run into too many unless you intentionally go out looking for them
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Water Taxi Fort Lauderdale Venice of America Pirate Republic Stop12

8. Wow, you’ve really done your research! My favorite so far is Iguazu Falls in Argentina. The biggest and most powerful I’ve ever seen in person.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..On My Birthday- Remembering Younger Travels

Love waterfalls, and we have plenty of them in Norway. Some you can walk right behind – it’s very cool!
    Iguazu have been the most beautiful and majestic I’ve seen. Would like to see Angel Falls in Venezuela.
    Sophie recently posted..Where in the world

That sounds very interesting and beautiful! Would love to see both Iguazu and Angel Falls but also Victoria.

10. Love Plitivice but no Staubbach Falls? Quite possibly the most beautiful falls and backdrop in all of Europe!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Budget travel deals of the week June 22 – summer and Fall airfare sale

There are many waterfalls that were not on this list. I haven’t been to Staubbach yet. Maybe I’ll have to put together another list 🙂

11. Grace says:

Krimml looks more like a river Cazy!r

12. Great idea for a story, Debbie! I love waterfalls and didn’t realize that Europe had so many. I’d love to see Trummelbach Falls someday–it seems amazing! I was in Croatia last year but unfortunately ran out of time before I saw Plitvice Falls 🙁
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Where in the world am I

Me too! Trummelbach has been on my list for awhile and I have no idea why I haven’t made it there yet.

I was only about 50km from Krimml Falls this past weekend, but didn’t have a chance to go, but will definitely go back as there’s a hike you can do up to the falls. I love waterfalls!
    Laurel recently posted..Why I Had to Escape Early from my Yoga Vacation in Austria

Thats too bad you were so close but couldn’t see the falls. Fleeing your yoga vacation was much more important!

The ones in Croatia look gorgeous!! The one in England has a weird shade of brown instead 🙂 So many places I haven’t been to…
    Sabrina recently posted..The Latest Craze in Texas- Christian Cross Tattoos

I think my favorites are the waterfalls are the one in Croatia and Iceland. I have wanted to visit Plitice for quite awhile. I actually liked the colors in the High Fall 🙂

15. Tijmen says:

Waterfalls are awesome 🙂 I have seen the one in Iceland myself a few years ago, it was just before the winter and large parts of it where already frozen. It looked amazing.
    Tijmen recently posted..Covoiturvoyage

I thought the Iceland waterfall was amazing! Can’t imagine seeing partially frozen. Sounds like a road trip is necessary.

1. […] moments including craggy mountains, glacial Lake Bohinj, Soca and Sava Rivers, wild flowers and waterfalls.  Experience the park through the Slovenian Alpine Museum or its hiking and biking trails.  […]

2. […] bikes and post bus crossing rivers, bridges and scenic routes. We’ve taken a look at the awesome waterfalls in Europe along with some festivals, even if they are a bit […]