Have you ever seen a picture and said to yourself “I have to go there!”? I have and Cesky Krumlov is one of those places.
Surrounded by rolling hills and the Vltava River, Cesky Krumlov’s cobblestone streets wind past centuries old townhomes, inns, shops, and cafes. The fact that this charming city has kept its medieval character is one of the reasons it was named a UNESCO World Heritage site.
But is Cesky Krumlov more than just a pretty picture?
Here are ten things to do in Cesky Krumlov that might entice you to visit, if a pretty face isn’t enough.
- Beer! You knew this was coming, right? The Czech Republic is known for its beer and Cesky Krumlov is no exception. With a brewing history dating back to the 1300’s you can find good beer here and even a brewery. The Eggenberg Brewery is the beer making center of Cesky Krumlov and also offers tours, tastings and more!
- The Vltava River winds its way through Cesky Krumlov and offers many opportunities for enjoyment. You could enjoy a tour on the river floating on a wooden raft while experiencing a unique perspective of the city. Other options include aimlessly floating around on an inner tube or being more adventurous by canoeing down the river. It doesn’t matter which way you spend time on the river, it’s just important that you do!
- Enjoy a Myth and Legend night tour of the city. Discover some of the myths, legends and mysteries that haunt Cesky Krumlov. Listen as you pass the castle tower and you will hear its story. Visit sites where witches were burned and alchemists lived.
- St. Vitus Church is a Gothic beauty that dates to the 15th century. Sitting on a knoll created by the river, it is one of the main features of the city. Maybe you can even catch a concert of classical music or climb the tower for one of the best views of the city!
- The Torture Museum is situated in the cellars of the town hall. This museum displays devices of torture, wax figures and unique depictions of a witch burning and execution by sword. Interesting but maybe not for everyone. . .
- The Graphite Mine is located a little outside town but is a fun excursion. Dressed as miners including miner’s lamp, you travel into the mine to learn all there is to know about this mine which has been in existence since the 18th century.
- Krumlov Castle is the 2nd largest castle in the Czech Republic. This castle has everything an upstanding castle should have – towers, theaters, gardens, Renaissance balcony, Chapel, portraits, Royal apartments and a moat! Enjoy one or all of the tours offered of this amazing dramatic series of structures overlooking the town.
- Marionette, Wax and Regional Museums along with the Fairy Tale House offer all those young at heart a chance to learn a bit about the different personalities of Bohemia, enjoy historical marionettes and puppets as well as learn more about the history that has made Cesky Krumlov so wonderful.
- Hike up to Mount Klet for outstanding views of the city and countryside from the highest point in this part of Bohemia. Your hike begins at the rail station climbing up to the lookout tower where you will find a restaurant and observatory full of telescopes.
- Walk around Cesky Krumlov’s many hills, squares and alleyways which beckon you to discover the charm of the city. Along the way you will explore the hidden nooks discovering its treasures. This is where you will experience the real Cesky Krumlov.