May 30, 2017

Viva La France-Back to Burgundy!

As we saw in my post Burgundy France – Land of Plenty, there are a lot of reasons to visit Burgundy and one of them is definitely the quaint, captivating, enchanting, picturesque, and charming villages that dot the countryside of this region southeast of Paris, France.

Here are 7 that fit the endearing, remarkable, wonderful and special category.

Semur-en-Auxois

Semur-en-Auxois Burgundy France

Semur-en-Auxois

Artists flock here to gather inspiration from this medieval jewel. This village is full of grand houses, narrow and cobbled streets, cafes and shops. Wander through the medieval gateway on your way to visit Chocolatier Bruno Coeur who was part of the movie Chocolat. No visit is complete without a visit to the gothic church, fortified castle or crossing one of the bridges spanning the Armancon River. A stroll along the ramparts offers amazing vistas!

Bligny-sur-Ouche

If you enjoy old villages,  this is the one for you. Dating back to prehistory (the first mention was in 800’s) Bligny holds a marvelous 12th century church and many vestiges of yesterday – a sundial, wood gutters, crucifixes, washing wells and water mills. Enjoy a ride on a steam engine or visit the Hemp and Woodworking museums.

Chateauneuf-en-Auxois

Overlooking the Canal du Bourgogne is the fortified village known locally as just Chateauneuf. This is one of those medieval villages that will transport you back to the Middle Ages upon arriving! Besides the normal narrow streets and alleyways, shops, restaurants and arts and crafts, this village has a magical castle at its center. After visiting the 12th century Chateau de Chateauneuf-en-Auxois that is when it is time to wander the medieval streets before stopping to enjoy the atmosphere of this beautiful village.

Chateauneuf-en-Auxois Burgundy France

Chateauneuf-en-Auxois Panorama by Christophe.Finot

Flavigny-sur-Ozerain

Built on top of a hill, the village people work hard to preserve the history found in Favigny. Another village with ties to the movie

Flavigny-sur-Ozerain castle Burgundy France

Flavigny-sur-Ozerain Castle by Christophe.Finot

Chocolat, this medieval marvel is surrounded by 3 streams and has many alleys and walkways that lead past interesting architecture at every turn. Make sure to visit the Benedictine Monastery with its Carolingian crypt and the local confection, Anise of Flavigny. If you are lucky you may experience some Gregorian chants!

Vezelay

Sitting high atop a hill, this town has an enchanting feel to it. This pilgrimage city offers strollers a chance to explore the alleyways and courtyards while gazing at the preserved 15th, 16th and 17th century houses. The UNESCO World Heritage Site is also home to one of the most beloved churches in France; the Romanesque Basilica of St. Mary Magdalene. Its relics

still draw many visitors today. In 1190, Vezelay is also the place where King Phillip Auguste of France met up with Richard the Lionheart of England before departing for the 3rd crusade.

Martailly-les-Brancion

Everything here is medieval! This village has truly preserved its history and it is waiting for you to explore. It all starts with the amazing views as you drive up the steep road leading first to the castle. Dating back to the 10th century this castle still has preserved walls and turrets. Continuing into the village, you will find a 12th century Romanesque Church, 14th century covered market and many medieval houses to marvel at.

Martailly-les-Brancion Burgundy France

Martailly-les-Brancion by D Villafruela

Noyers-sur-Serein

One of the more picturesque villages in the region, Noyers’ has a very well preserved medieval center dating back to the 15th century. Inside the town walls, you will find 78 monuments that have been classified as historic which include the remains of a castle, church, town hall and a 19th century public washing area. Wandering the cobbled streets you will find beautiful half-timbered houses, medieval squares and arches. There is also a very nice river walk outside the walls.

Noyer-sur-Serein Burgundy France

Noyer-sur-Serein by Palamède

There are many other gorgeous villages that could have made this list,

What did I leave off?

Comments

1. Unknown says:

whoah this blog is magnificent i love studying your articles.
    Keep up the good work! You know, many persons are looking around for this info, you can help them greatly.
    Unknown recently posted..Unknown

2. Unknown says:

May I simply say what a comfort to find someone that genuinely understands what
    they are discussing online. You actually realize how to bring an issue to
    light and make it important. A lot more people have to check this out and understand
    this side of the story. It’s surprising you are not
    more popular given that you surely possess the gift.
    Unknown recently posted..Unknown

3. If you prefer foodstuff you’ve arrive at the proper area, we develop uncomplicated
    dishes, so you can recreate scrumptious meals within your kitchen.
    foodprocessor.Drupalgardens.com recently posted..foodprocessor.Drupalgardens.com

4. Thanks for the great write-up, I was searching for specifics like this, going to check out the various other blog posts.

5. Lisa says:

I would want to visit the Benedictine Monastary and the Romanesque church of Mary Magdeline. That village from the movie Chocolat would be another I’d like to experience. These are such great places.
    Lisa recently posted..ESL and International School Job Scams and How to Avoid Them

There are a lot of small villages to visit in Burgundy! I definitely could spend quite a bit of time there.

6. We’ve only visited Paris and Colmar in France. We will definitely have to go back and explore more areas in France and now, Burgundy is on the list!

There is truly a lot to and see in France. I haven’t been to Colmar yet but it is on my list.

7. Enchanting and Magical….I need to see all of these places my friend. So happy I subscribed to your blog. I really love it!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Ponte Vecchio – One of Florence, Italy’s Greatest Treasures

Aw thanks Jeff! Burgundy does seem to be a wonderful place. It makes me want to plop down and explore in a very slow pace so I can savor every last bit of it!

8. Sailor says:

Beautiful! Lots of amazing pictures. It reminds me of my wine tasting training in France for 2 weeks.
    Sailor recently posted..American Cruise Lines Sails Glacier Bay in the Summer of 2012

9. Burgundy looks fabulous!
    When I see places like those you’ve featured, it makes me feel like I was born in the wrong century. I can so relate to them.
    Thanks for sharing, Debbie. My travel bucket list is getting longer and longer!!!!!

Marcia
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Manhattan to Spain via the Bronx

Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong era too! I am really drawn to medieval villages.

10. Arti says:

Though I have never been to any foreign country, but its very satisfying to see and experience them virtually through your posts 🙂 All of these villages are beautiful, but Bligny-sur-Ouche especially sounds exciting to me!
    Arti recently posted..Places to see in the Mana Village (Bhim Pul, Saraswati River, Ganesh Gufa, Vyas Gufa and Others)

Oh yes I am living vicariously through quite a few bloggers that are in areas I have never been to 🙂

11. Christopher says:

Excellent list and beautiful pictures. Thank you!

12. inka says:

It gets better and better. Maybe I can make a detour on my way to Rochefort in August.
    inka recently posted..Travel in Southeast Turkey: Dara

13. eva hamori says:

Can not wait to start our French adventures! Burgundy sounds fantastic, and those little villages at every turn.
    Great pictures too.
    eva
    eva hamori recently posted..How we picked an area in France!

So tell me more about your trip! When are you going? Where? I would love to hear about it.

14. Rachel says:

Very beautiful! I haven’t been to France in 20 years but I definitely intend on returning. It makes me feel like going back to a different era. Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Rachel recently posted..The Best Jogging Strollers

I know how you feel! France is a wonderful country and is full of awesome things to do and see.

15. looks amazing! watching the tour de france at the moment, so catching a lot of the scenery of france. love the medieval villages. something about them that is so enchanting. don tmind that movie chocolat either, even if it is a bit of a chick flick!
    jamie – cloud people adventures recently posted..My (Our) 7 Links

Medieval villages are quite a draw for me too. I enjoyed Chocolat and agree it is a chick flick!

16. I haven’t had the chance to spend much time in France outside of Paris. Burgundy definitely sounds like an area I would want to explore. Also, very timely article on France for this week (I will have one on France later this week as well)! 🙂
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Airport guide for travelers – flights, apps, guides, technology, sleeping, and more

I agree. . . I think a week in Burgundy sounds fantastic! All my posts this week will be related to France too 🙂