November 24, 2014

Do the French hate Americans?

If you have listened to any news recently you have probably heard about all the hoopla over Dominique Strauss-Kahn’s, the former Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), recent run in with the law in New York City.  I don’t really want to discuss the merit of the charges levied against him or his treatment by the police.

What I really want to discuss is a comment I heard once his bail was revoked.

One of the news pundits made the statement that now that he was free on bail,  DSK would be free to return to France, run for President on an anti-American platform and win.

Screech. . . Wait, What? Rewind!

Why would anyone run on an anti-American platform and why would that help him win?

French flag

by ChrisO

I’m sure we’ve all heard about how the French hate Americans.  In fact, a quick Google search produced these musings:

“The French loathe Americans that is well known.”

I have long heard that French people can’t stand us Americans?”

“Why do so many French dislike Americans?”

A word to the wise.  My French teacher told our class if we ever go to France, say you’re Canadian.”

Do the French really hate Americans?

I have been to France quite a few times and in all honesty have never felt the slightest bit of hate, dislike, hostility or loathing focused at me whether I am in Paris or the countryside.  In fact, I have found just the opposite.  During my travels the French have been helpful, friendly, funny, kind and caring.   I actually really like the French.  I know a lot of people find the French, maybe especially Parisians, aloof and rude but I would take a French person over a New Yorker any day (ok let ‘er rip New Yorkers)!

So, do the French really hate us or is it just a talking point on the nightly news?

Within 6 months after the US went into Iraq during 2002 I visited France twice.  The first time was in June and I was astonished at how many people I knew were worried about my family traveling to France!  At the time, the French were angry at us for going into Iraq and people were concerned we would get caught up in anti-American demonstrations or feel some other kind of backlash.  I went anyways and took my 2 teenage kids with me.  There were no demonstrations, backlash or negativity just the same nice French people.

Is it hate or just politically expedient?

US Flag

by Jnn13

My second trip that year was in October and there was still a lot of talk on the wire about Americans abstaining from anything French as a protest.  As a guest of the French Government Tourist Bureau, I had the chance to talk with the head of the Paris Tourist Bureau who told me that the merchants of Paris were feeling the pinch of the Americans not traveling to France.  That’s when I fully realized that the Parisians were just like me, hard working people who just wanted to feed their families.

Hmmm . . . Maybe they don’t really hate us!

Now I may be naïve but I don’t get why the French would hate Americans just because we’re Americans.  Yes, we are not perfect but neither is France or any other country.  We all have our little quirks, irritations and different ways of doing things but isn’t that what makes the world so interesting?

Do you think the French really hate us?

What are your thoughts?

Related posts:

1. Off the Beaten Path – - French Basque Region
  2. A French Adventure in Aperitifs
  3. Wine Tasting in Paris with O Chateau!
  4. Langauge: A Necessary Part of Travel
  5. Rococo – Flirty & Decadent

Comments

1. twin bed frame with drawers
    https://twinpod.zendesk.com/ recently posted..https://twinpod.zendesk.com/

2. WE HATE YOU! WE HATE ALL AMUWRRIKUHNS!

3. Jean-Pierre Langot says:

Every single country hates “Americans” because the fact alone that you stole “Americans” from the rest of Americans, such as Argentineans, Panamanians, Bolivians, Canadians, Mexicans, etc. And especially everyone HATES you, because of the Inside Job (9/11) and the CHEMTRAILS that you inflict onto the world on the daily basis. The noxious aerosols being sprayed every day en masse all across the world the initiative started by “AmurriKKKuhns” or how Spanish world call you – Gringos Estadosunidenses. Your new name is Unitedstatesians of Chemtrails or simply – Unitedstatesians.

• Arya says:

ok first off, the “Americans” as in the people from the USA has been called Americans since way back in the 1600′s its in our name. The United States of AMERICA. it makes since to call our selves Unitedstatesians is frankly the dumbest idea i have ever heard EVER! I won’t get into the whole 9/11 things but its just a myth, there is no factual proof that happened.

• Rajesh Kumar says:

OK, instead of Unitedstatesians, how about use USAians, USAcks, Vespuccians, Columbusians etc. :-)
        9/11 is a myth… hahaha. Google “Larry Silverstein” and explosives used to take down the WTC and the Building 7. Perhaps we should call you Lowiqans or simply Numerouno. Self Appointed Number Ones = SANOS. Or World Police Jokers. Anyone has better ideas how to clean up the word “America” from these shamesters?

4. Kelly says:

Whenever anyone mentions Freedom Fries, and they haven’t for awhile, I always say that if it weren’t for the French, Americans would all be speaking English today…the Queen’s English that is. France came to our aid during the Revolution and if it weren’t for her there wouldn’t be a United States…we need to keep that in mind and defend her. Vive la France! :)

5. Cassie says:

Where did you learn that the US did not repay it’s debts after their revolution? Every google search I do says they were late, but repaid it in about 5 year’s time.

6. Michael, French says:

Hi.

I’m way past the date, but I see there has been no French answer, so I’ll give one if you don’t mind, in hope this might help.

Why do the French hate Americans? We don’t.

Seriously. we dont hate you, people. Some French might, as some Americans hate French, but that’s just stupid bigotry and ignorance. We French as a people don’t hate Americans, or anyone else for that matter. Come to France and you won’t have any problem. :-)

Now, if I must guess where that idea comes from… Wouldn’t have it gained preeminence somewhere around 2003, by chance? After France opposed the idea of Iraq’s invasion, all of a sudden we were cheese eating surrender monkeys, cowards afraid of wars and American haters, or at least it sure seemed so according to Internet american goers. Would I be wrong supposing there was an intense media coverage of France’s dastardly ways on Fox and other conservative media around that period? Your politics didn’t seem to mind painting France as ungrateful for WWII and downright hostile to the US at that time, spinning clichés to avoid the real reasons of France’s opposition, and they had total support in that task from Murdoch’s newspapers and other conservative media. It’s easier to lie and belittle your contradictor than to justify why you’re planning to attack a country in violation of all international laws and without good reason, plus it makes a good smoke screen to avoid Americans asking the same questions and it’s a good way to whip American patriotism in overgear. “You’re not down with the program? You’re a damn traitor, like these French jerks. See, everybody hates us. Now show us you’re a true American patriot, get on that boat and fight for good ol’ USA.” You know, the basics.

Thus, I think, was born the idea that the French hated the Americans. Truth is, most of us ain’t too fond of your foreign policies under Bush and Bush Jr. But we blame them and their cronies, not you as a people.

Sorry for the probable grammar mistakes, thank you for reading, and enjoy France if you come to see us. Kudos to you Debbie for finding les gorges du Verdon, it’s a beautiful place. Try Hautes-Alpes and le Parc des Écrins, north-east of there, if you’re into nature and mountains, it’s gorgeous in summer and in winter. :-)

You basically made my point! I’ve come to the conclusion that no one really hates the US, its just the media (on both sides of the political spectrum) that get this all stirred up. Thanks for your point of view and your suggestions to visit Hautes-Alpes and Le Par des Ecrins. I will definitely look into both.

• Michael says:

You’re welcome.

I spent some time yesterday surfing for stereotypes between French and Americans and there are apparently some traps first-time goers in France would want to avoid. I guess you’re familiar with it, but I’ll post it for your readers who might want to visit.

First, you should learn the basic greetings and courtesies in French. Bonjour (hello), excusez-moi (literally excuse me, a polite way to attire someone’s attention in France), merci (thank you): those are expected from everyone in France when talking to a stranger, foreigner or not, and going to someone and directly asking something is considered rude. Doing so in English or any foreign language doubly so: you wouldn’t expect someone in the US to come to you out of the blue, speak to you in French and expect you to answer, acting all pissed off when you don’t. Well, in France, it’s the same thing. You don’t need to actually speak French beyond that, just say “bonjour” “excusez-moi” and “parlez-vous anglais ?” (Do you speak english?), and most people will happily help you, while you would just be considered rude and ignored if you had come speaking english and asking directly something.

There’s also some cultural differences which can be misunderstood. Apparently, a common one is expecting the waiter to bring you your check as soon as you’re served. In France, that would be incredibly rude from the waiter to actually do that, it would mean something along the lines of “thanks for your money, now get off, we’ve seen you enough already”. That’s because you pay when you leave in France, and no waiter worth his salt would ever interrupt your meal, a time you’re supposed to enjoy at your own leisure. Thus, you have to ask for your check, and the waiter not bringing it is actually respectful, not rude and ignoring you like you might think being used to different customs.

There are some other minor differences (not touching the fruits on a market comes to mind), you can find guides on the net to avoid mistakes and misunderstandings.

Now, for exhaustiveness’ sake, there’s something less pleasant I must point out: Americans have been viciously insulting French for more than 8 years in the media and on the net, so don’t be surprised if you once come across someone who really can’t stand you. Noone likes to be called a coward and an incapable all year long, and Americans have really gone over the fence in that aspect for years. I’m not saying all Americans do it, but it obviously became a major trend and culturally accepted in the US since 2003. Therefore there are probably some people out there who don’t want to have anything to do with anyone American anymore. That’s sad, but Americans really did bring on themselves. You’ll not be violently agressed, don’t worry, but you might get cussed at or shunned. So if that happens just back off and go speak to someone else. Don’t get me wrong, probablities are low and that’s not something you should usually be worried about, just like not all Americans are pouring French wine in the gutter, eating Freedom fries and wearing all white stylish pointy outfits in their Tea Party reunions. Just don’t be stunned if that actually happens once, and don’t think all French hate you for that. ;-)

7. Bem says:

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in France and I found that the French generally like Americans. Even in Paris, I found that there was no underlying animosity. The French tend to be much more direct and serious than what we are accustom to. Their idea of small talk can often involve a protracted 3 hour discussion of politics and philosophy. They also love to argue. It’s not uncommon for a total stranger to walk up and start commenting on the book your reading. I could see how this might seem like rudeness. It can certainly be annoying when you’re looking for a bit of peace and quiet. On the other hand, it’s not personal. That’s just how friends are made. That and cigarettes. I don’t believe that anyone in that country owns any cigarettes. Cigarettes just exist communally.

There’s another thing. Americans are somewhat uncommon when compared to the English, the Germans, the Irish, and other Europeans. That makes us something of a social curiosity. I was ask in all sincerity if I was a cowboy on more than one occasion. I have also never been romantically involved with so many women in such a short period of time as when I was in France. This is partially because the French actually enjoy dating and approach it naturally. There aren’t nearly as many games as in America and French women seem much more willing to spend a casual afternoon without taking it all too seriously. I’m not even talking about sex. I’m talking about dating.

Americans tend to be louder and more boisterous than the French. This is often as one of the reasons that the French are said not to like Americans, but in reality, several French acquaintances have told me that this is actually one of the things they do like about Americans. By comparison, we seem like we’re always in a good mood and really enjoying whatever we’re doing. I’ve had people tell me that it can be a bit much, but overall, we seem like a great big whirlwind of fun.

If you want to talk about rudeness, talk about the English. I generally try to avoid speaking ill of an entire people and I did meet a few very nice English people. Really though, they are easily the rudest people I’ve encountered overseas. Entitled, classist, racist, and just generally nasty. I’ve had a lot of encounters where an English stranger interrupted a conversation solely for the purpose of insulting me personally. I’ve had them throw things at me, ignore me when I speak to them, walk off mid-conversation without explanation, insult the way Americans speak. I remember one time, I was introduced to a Englishman. I ask him “How’s it going?” He responded by saying, “Americans actually say that? That idiotic.” To which my French friend responded, “Comment Ca Va?” It’s the standard French greeting and it literally translates word for word as “How’s it going”. So there’s one thing the French and the Americans can agree on. The English are awful.

• Melissa says:

The english are rude. Easily the french are nicer and far more refined and open minded than the English. I think the English are pissed because we won our independence from their stuffy country with bad food!! Lol

8. Eugene Woods says:

I don’t think so. There ‘re no reason .

9. Charley says:

P.S. – paraphrasing Abraham Lincoln.

If you treat someone as an enemy, you will make an enemy.

If you treat someone as a friend, you might make a friend.

10. Charley says:

I’m typing on a smart phone. So please pardon any typos.

I am a US Citizen with some historical knowledge and a low tolerance for liberal PC talk that whitewashes over the facts and truth. Enough with the rosy PC answers already. There is some truth to both sides of this argument.

Let’s have a look at history. France and the USA have had intertwined histories.

The USA would not exist if France hadn’t helped us fight the British during our Revolutionary War for independence from Britain.

Then the USA government betrayed the French by defaulting on our war debt we owed them. This nearly bankrupted France and French Monarchy and was a major contributing factor to causing financial hardships in France that destabilized France and led to the French Revolution, which in turn led to other monarchies attacking France, Napolean defended France, but then went to far and became an aggresor in Europe, but maybe he had no choice when most European monarchies wanted to stamp out French Democracy.

The young USA both inspired France by our revolution and also irreparably damaged France by defaulting on our debts to France. We Americans set in motion the decline of the French Empire by our default on our debt to them, and that misery we caused them led to great suffering for their people, and contributed to their revolution, and to them being relentlessly attacked by most of Europe’s monarcy nations, and this started the decline of the French Empire and French world power. Bottom line, the USA betrayed and abandoned France right after they helped us. France has never recovered from this.

This is where our relationship first went bad, and it was the USA’s fault. The French were our first and best friends and we betrayed and abandoned them at end of USA’s Revolutionary War when they needed us. Their nation has never fully recovered. The decline of France as a world power was caused by the USA.

The French had valid reason to resent the USA, and I’m sure many did (and do). Even so, France still gave us the Statue of Liberty as a gift of love and friendship 100 year later for our Cenntenial. As I write this, I feel ashamed as an American of how poorly our early forefathers treated the French when they were so good to us.

However, the USA finally came of age during WWII and we did finally repay France by retaking France from the Nazis (at great cost in American lives and $). So we (IMO) finally repaid France, but we did so with no memory of the fact we owed it to them. So we (IMO) acted arrogant about it – like as if we’d given them charity. The truth is – we owed it to them.

The French were grateful briefly, but then DeGaul came to power and staid in power, and IMO he hated Americans, or at least resented and disliked us. This IMO started a new animosity between our governments that may have somewhat spread to the people.

And many Americans felt very unappreciated and betrayed by the (real or perceived?) perception that the French were against us during the cold war, right after so many Americans had died helping France expel the Nazis. In all fairness to the USA, it did seem like DeGaul was against us, and he was the leader of France.

Then too, as another poster said, there is also the Moslem factor. France has a close relationship with many
    Moslem nations and many Moslem citizens, and USA Middle East policies are not popular with some. The USA could improve in some areas there. However that issue has more than one side. For example, I have noticed European attitudes and treatment of Jews past and present is unacceptable. So while the USA is not righteous in its treatment of persons of Middle Eastern decent, neither is Europe or France. I’ll just leave that topic by saying we are both wrong to take sides in other people’s conflicts and we could both do better. But as another poster said, the Middle East adds to tensions between France and USA. Between much of Europe and USA.

The final irritant is a difference in our economic systems and philosophies. France is rather socialist IMO. Many (perhaps most?) French think their system is better than ours and don’t hesitate to tell Americans this. While some socialist minded Americans (many who posted before me I’d bet) agree there are many Americans (including myself) who find it deeply offensive when I am talked down to about my country, and I happen to prefer capitalism. Sarcozy himself did this on TV once while speaking to Americans! Even though I perceive him to be well intensioned, I was still offended. Though to be fair, I’m sure many French people are similarly offended when some Americans talk about our system being better. Bush was insensitive and did that a lot. Let’s please be tolerant of each other.

Over our shared history, our two nations have been like two age-gap lovers who fell in love, had a falling out, made-up and fell in love again, broke up again, got back together again, and so on, over and over.

Reminds me of a real life couple I know who got married 3 times and divorced twice. They finally settled on married.

I do NOT think the French people hate Americans. I do NOT think Americans hate the French either. I think we’re like tempestuous former lovers who are now trying to learn to be “just friends” and get along with each other after many past romances and break-ups.

The truth is that at times we like each other. At other times we dislike each other. But at no time do we hate each other, and I think most French & Americans are intelligent enough to relate to each other as individuals.

However, I still have no desire to travel outside USA since 9/11. I don’t even go to Mexico anymore. The USA is big enough for me and I still have more USA to explore than I can in a life time.

If I were to travel to Europe, I’d go to Italy where they have better weather and a reputation for liking Americans. But I wish France and French people all the best.

Thanks for your comments Charley. There is indeed a very long and tumultuous history between our 2 countries. I am glad that we went to Frances during WWII not because we owed them but because it was the right thing to do. I’m not sure I want to risk our money and US lives because we felt obligated. I also feel that it is bad taste for outsiders to criticize other countries ways of doing things and do my best to keep my opinions to myself.

I appreciate your time and history. I’m sure some of us have forgotten or never new about the early history between our two countries.

11. Micah says:

Historically French and Americans come a long way. They really don’t hate each other just some action that each other take. We cannot generalize and blame all the people because of the action of the few.
    Micah recently posted..angry birds guide

12. Lisa says:

Debbie, I liked this post. I also had great experiences in France. I was in Nice and people were friendly and helpful and I would absolutely return.
    Lisa recently posted..ESL and International School Job Scams and How to Avoid Them

13. Perhaps all the anti-American sentiment is something made up or hyped up by the mainstream media? I am very happy to hear that you’ve never encountered any issues while visiting France.

Also, it’s not a good idea to say you’re Canadian when visiting France. Some French people from France look down at the Quebec style of French, saying it’s provincial and very old fashioned. The attitudes between them are comical really! :)
    Cheryl Howard recently posted..Expat Living: The Day I Broke Into My Own Flat.

I happen to agree the animosity is made up by mainstream media and am glad to feel comfortable with that conclusion. I hadn’t though about the issue between the French and French Canadians. I think I’ll just stick with saying I’m from the good ole USA!

14. Really interesting post Debbie! When I visited Paris I found that the people weren’t the most welcoming and it was hard to get eye contact in general, but I think it was mainly because it’s such a big city that they simply didn’t make the time to care about every single tourist. It was nothing personal, and they were the same to all tourists no matter where they were from.

I also think it’s important to separate Americans and their politics. Like The Travel Chica said, they (and most people in the rest of the world for that matter) understand that the people are not all responsible for every action or decision that their government makes.
    Sofia – As We Travel recently posted..Slovenia: The 2011 Secret Getaway Hotspot

I agree that we must separate people from politics! Funny you should mention not looking people in the eyes. My husband grew up just outside NYC and everytime we are in a big city he tells us all not to make eye contact! I guess eye contact can be taken as a challenge and maybe if you grow up in or around a large city with more crime this is what you do. I don’t, I’m from California and that is just not the way we do it here :)

15. Grace says:

Debbie, this is interesting. I actually never thought too much about this and wonder how the French hate Americans all started. But I think Robin may be onto something. I never made the connection between the French and the Muslim world.
    Grace recently posted..Up in a Hot Air Balloon

It is strange. I have no idea how it came about either. Probably some news people said surmised an incident and it took off from there.

16. I honestly don’t think French hate Americans. As a Canadian, I know that when Canada has stood up and not backed US military operations (Vietnam, & Iraq come to mind) the US media has spun some kind of negative message towards Canada’s lack of involvement. I think it is possibly something along those lines – a false interpretation of what really exists – which is nothing at all.
    Nomadic Samuel recently posted..Cat Yawning | Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei | Travel Photo

I completely agree with you. It is really frustrating to see this happen. I think it makes Americans edgier when visiting that country which could lead to animosity where none really existed.

17. Renee says:

I think whenever that accusation is made, it’s by people who have a particular political agenda. Given that some of our own lawmakers had the audacity to ‘change’ the term french fries to freedom fries, that should tell you something about their intelligence or lack thereof. Oh…just noticed Stephanie’s comment. Anyway…I just think it’s another way to divide and separate people. I don’t know why people thrive on that.

I think you are correct, Renee. It is really frustrating how many people actually believe what they say! It is really sad.

18. It’s such a generalization. I’m sure most French people are so busy living their lives, they don’t even have time to think about Americans or America. It’s makes for great political theater, but I doubt it’s true. There are a lot of misconceptions about the French, like they don’t like you if you don’t speak French, etc. I’ve been to France, used both my English and my limited French — no one was rude to me anymore than they’re rude to me here in NYC.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday – Old and New New York

I feel the same as you and have no issues while traveling in France. Sometimes I wish 24 hour news had never been developed. I am not sure how much good it has given us!

19. robin says:

Something you have to remember about the French is that historically they have been deeply intertwined with Muslim cultures as a colonial power and as a post-colonial nation have maintained strong links with countries in the Muslim world. Not to get too deeply into politics on a travel blog but America’s actions in those countries in recent years have been unfortunate (to say the very least) and there is a lot of anger not only in France but in many countries where people feel they have a better grasp of grass roots reality than that which has been demonstrated by Washington.

Post-colonial nations tend to look back at colonialism and foreign adventures with very mixed feelings about their previous actions and with a subsequent sense of responsibilty towards former colonies and a sense of “fraternite” with them and thus many people in these countries have been appalled by U.S. foreign policy which is colonial in all but name.

But this almost NEVER translates into personal antipathies on the street or in the cafe. You would have to conclude that French people were very stupid to suppose that they would so easily mistake political diffferences for personal qualities. But you are right – that is exactly what your media (and who knows maybe the French media – I’m unfamiliar with it) does.
    robin recently posted..El Correr

Yes, colonialism is a whole different subject!

It is a shame that the media tries to sway us like it does. Wish they would go back to actual journalism instead of opinion making.

20. Jim says:

There are all sorts of generalizations like this. Americans may feel defensive and be looking for this type of aggro, but it is hardly ever the reality.
    And actually living there, you really do have the chance to meet people at a common level, and wow! What do you find? That people are people and we all have the same hopes and concerns for family, cost of living etc.
    Jim recently posted..My Favourite Colour: The Poe-A-Tree-Hop.

That was the exact conclusion I came too after talking with the rep from the tourist bureau. It made me sad that there were some people in the US trying to get everyone riled up over the French. I sure hope things change soon.

21. No, I don’t think that generalizations about the French hating Americans can be made any more than the other way around. I think there are times & events that affect perceptions of some people about America (or any other country for that matter), but it’s not limited to the French. I remember being concerned before my first visit to Paris that I might be heading into a very unfriendly place, but soon found out that was not the case.

Debbie, about the NYC reference — ouch! I’m not a New Yorker myself, but that seemed a little strong to me! :-)

Thanks for such a thought-provoking post.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Amsterdam’s Bikes and Boats

There are so many mis-truths out there when it comes to different cultures. Sometimes I think the media is being very unfair in the way they portray events and allude to the fact that someone doesn’t like us. I am real tired of it.

Maybe the NYC comment was little tough but it irks me when people in the US think the French are so awful and they haven’t even been there! I adore NYC but have encountered some very rude people, IMO :)

22. Great topic for a post… I’ve wondered about this a lot, and since I’ve never been to France I really have no idea. It’s good to hear people have had good experiences there!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Jamaican food, frisbee golf and ancient boulders in New Brunswick, New Jersey

23. What a great thought provoking post, Debbie! I whole heartedly agree with Jeremy’s comment that the French and Americans are so much alike. From the “outside looking in” (I’m neither American nor French), that seems to be the case to me everytime I hear someone make any statement about French hating Americans or vice versa. Both are proud of their way of life & culture and both just wants respect.

One of the great things about travel is learning about other cultures. That is one of the big draws for me. I have come to the conclusion that the French don’t hate us, it is made up by the media just like so many other world wide issues.

24. I think the French are very proud people just like Americans. They love their way of life, culture, language, and who they are. I think the (perceived) conflict between Americans and France is due to them being so much alike. When people come to visit the US, we expect them to speak English, respect our culture, etc. I don’t think the French or any different. Americans are nice people to foreigners but how often do people come up to us and ask us if we speak French? Maybe we would be offended as well.

I think just a little effort on the part of Americans to show respect to the French goes a long way. Also, Paris is a huge city. There will be rude people at times. Just like people visiting NYC will find rude people. But I don’t think an entire nation should be judged on that. Rather we must try and understand the culture rather than have these expectations that people should help me and be nice. Respect works both ways and will go a long way in helping bridge the gaps between our cultures.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Where in the world am I?

Great points Jeremy! I think large cities make people crazy. Imagine trying to get to work with all these extra people clamoring around. Craziness.

25. I am quite certain the French do not care enough to hate all Americans. When I was in Paris last year, I encountered no hostility. I met several Parisians, and we discussed politics at a wine shop one night. Just like me, they understand that we are not all responsible for every action or decision our government makes.

By the way, “freedom fries” is one of the stupidest things Americans have ever come up with.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..My First Border Run