April 26, 2017

A Scenic Village In Switzerland

Switzerland is famous for many things including its alpine scenery and diverse climate.  But if you’re looking for that idyllic Swiss village you don’t need to look any further than Gruyeres.

This picture perfect medieval village is set at the top of a small mountain and is enclosed by a 12th century fortification.  Retaining its medieval feel, Gruyeres is considered a National Monument and its architectural purity is actually protected by the Swiss government.Gruyeres Switzerland

Gruyeres is easy to reach either by train or car and can be done as a day trip from the Lake Geneva area although you may want to spend some time in this serene area.  Car parking and the train station are at the bottom of the hill so before you make off for the village you may want to enjoy the Cheese Museum and Factory where you will see demonstrations of cheese making and also taste some of the fresh delights!

As you meander your way up to Gruyeres you will be awed by the beauty unfolding before your eyes.  Gazing over the meadows you will see green grass, happy cows with bells, and wildflowers all with the mountains framing the picture.Views walking up the hill to Gruyeres Switzerland

Once at the top, the cobbled streets will lead you past shops and restaurants on the way to the castle.  Castle Gruyeres was built between 1270 and 1282.  Today the beautiful fortress is home to 800 years of local history, culture and architecture.  Visit rooms that are furnished in the traditional Baroque style and others that house many works of art.  From the courtyard you will be afforded more of those views Switzerland is so famous for and we never tire of.

Gruyeres Castle Switzerland

Castle of Gruyères by Olivier Bruchez, on Flickr

Views from Gruyeres Castle Switzerland

Views from Gruyeres Castle

Before you leave make sure to stop for some of Gruyeres famous quiche or the equally famous fondue!  Since you are in the center of one of Switzerland’s dairy areas, make sure to leave room for berries with thick cream.  A good option is Le Chalet restaurant.   The quaint and cute restaurant is in a building built in the 1700’s and is decorated in the style of a Swiss chalet!

If you’re looking for a bit of the unusual, then a trip through the H. R. Giger museum may fit the bill.  Giger is an Oscar winner for his visual effects work on the movie Alien.  The museum houses some of his paintings, sculptures and movie sets.  If you don’t mind bizarre, mechanical and sexual art, the Giger may be for you.  Next to the museum is the Giger Bar all dressed up in a décor inspired by the movie “Alien”!

What other scenic Swiss villages have you been to?

Comments

1. Spencer says:

Greate pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on
    your site. Im really impressed by it.
    Hello there, You’ve performed an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg
    it and in my view recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.
    Spencer recently posted..Spencer

2. Alice D says:

Wow, I’ve never been to switzerland, but now I want to go their. It looks like the perfect place to just relax en forget about all your worries.
    Alice D recently posted..What to do When you Are in Debt

3. Christina says:

Wonderful! Never been to Gruyeres, but been to a few villages near Lake Geneva, and loved St Cergue. I also had the best cheese fondue there. Mmmmh!
    Christina recently posted..Spotlight on Canterbury: Lake Tekapo

4. Tyler says:

You are so lucky to travel different places around the world. Your pics are all great!
    Tyler recently posted..cheap car insurance

5. Ayngelina says:

OMG I love the cheese, so jealous you had fondue!
    Ayngelina recently posted..Coming home

6. Hi Debbie,
    What a nice looking village! I remember my visit to Switzerland about 2 years ago when my mom invited me for a 2 month vacation. You’re right about the villages being picture perfect and I adore the cows and the goats. They looked healthy and contented. I really admired their sure footing on those hills.
    My mom took me to Bern, Lucerne, Interlaken, Zurich, Davos, Titlis, Rigi, and villages in between. I forgot the names of those villages although I have a list somewhere with my photos. What I remember is the Cheese Dairy in Appenzeller and Sherlock Holmes Museum in Reichenbachfall. We also visited the Zurich Zoo. It was really fun!
    I hope I can go back someday and visit other places including Gruyeres.
    Theresa Torres recently posted..Airline Travel Tips

Wow, sounds like you had a great trip with your mom. I know it is something you will remember for the rest of your life!

7. Faith says:

I read a lot of people swearing by a particular swiss village, and it seems the name is always different 🙂 This looks absolutely lovely, though! I don’t know why cobbled streets are always so charming, but they are.

8. Renee says:

I’ve decided that since I want to see so many places, I will try to do a short RTW trip late next year or 2013….this will definitely be on my list. Awe inspiring!
    Renee recently posted..TRAVEL PHOTO THURSDAY

9. Never been to Switzerland, but this village looks adorable. And I could definitely go for some fondue 🙂
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Feliz Día del Amigo

10. Arti says:

Quaint and tranquil, this is love at first sight!!!
    Arti recently posted..Diwali Celebrations in the Badrinath Temple

11. If that place didn’t snow so much, that might be my dream destination! I love the hills, mountains, countryside, and lakes of Switzerland. I was just reading about GImmelwald today and dreaming of hiking. Gruyeres looks beautiful. This post inspires me to want to hike in Switzerland again!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Where in the world am I?

I know how you feel. There are a lot of places that would be great to live in if only it didn’t snow. Guess thats why I’ve stuck with Cali all these years 🙂

12. Love Gruyere Cheese!
    adventureswithben recently posted..Next Stop, Vegas: Speaking at the ASTA Travel Bloggers Show

Me too especially love it melted with bread to dip in 🙂 I am thinking about going to the ASTA show, so maybe I’ll see you there.

13. Wow, I’d love to stay in a village like that. It looks so serene.
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Two quotes that inspire me in life and in travel

14. Sonja says:

Love your blog. Just added you to my blogroll at http://www.toeuropewithkids!
    Sonja recently posted..My 7 Links

15. Sonja says:

I’ve been to Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken, and lots more, but Gruyeres looks dreamy.
    Sonja recently posted..My 7 Links

Gruyeres looks utterly charming, I love small villages like this and I’ve never been to a cheese museum before – I bet the would have samples that would make it worth going for.
    Laurel recently posted..Driving in Germany: Are You Ready?

17. Katherina says:

The first time I went, it was raining so much, that the only thing we managed to do was to run into a restaurant and order a raclette. I didn’t knew about the H.R. Giger museum until the next time, when we had time to walk around and stumbled into its exotic bar decorated with skulls – the seats were like alien skeletons, scary!
    Katherina recently posted..Photo Essay: Walking Lausanne’s Old Town

1. missguided discount code…

A Scenic Village In Switzerland | European Travelista…

2. […] I love mountains, lakes and small villages.  While I find them all remarkable in their own way, Gruyeres Switzerland just took my breath […]