February 23, 2018

Travel Photo Thursday-Anif Palace

Today’s entry for Travel Photo Thursday is a lovely castle on the southern edge of Salzburg, Anif Palace.

This privately owned castle has had quite a history in it’s life time but maybe it’s biggest claim to fame is it’s casting in one of the best movies ever (my opinion 🙂 ) the Sound of Music.  Yes this gorgeous neo-medieval castle can be seen in the opening scene.  Anif Palace outside Salzburg Austria

First mentioned in 1530 this castle was the summer residence of the Bishops of Chiemsee before being turned over the the Archbishop of Salzburg.

Later King Ludwig III of Bavaria hid out in the castle before abdicating his throne here.  During WWII both German and American soldiers stayed in Anil Castle for a time.

This romantic castle is part of the beautiful landscape of Austria but you will have to make do with seeing it from afar  since there are no public tours offered.

Or you could enjoy it in other movies it has been in,  like The Odessa File.

For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Every Thursday they post new photos from their travels and invite others to join in!

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Vape electronic cigarettes casual concurrence

2. I know this website offers quality based articles and additional material,
    is there any other web site which presents these things in quality?
    inlyte E-cigarette dangers recently posted..inlyte E-cigarette dangers

3. Great Seller!! A++!!

4. Іt’s actuɑllpy very complicated in this busy
    life to listen neաs on TV, so I simply use the web for that рurpose, and
    take the newest informɑtion.
    best e cigarette reviews 2011 recently posted..best e cigarette reviews 2011

5. Patricia J. says:

Hey Debbie,

It may be possible to see the inside of this castle. The Sherman Brothers made a movie called The Slipper and the Rose, which starred Richard Chamberlain, Gemma Craven, Michael Hordern (The Secret Garden by Hallmark), Kenneth More, (et. al.) The palace was the home of Cinderella ( Gemma Craven) and one can see a great deal of the interior, (of course, it may have been altered, I’m not entirely sure) . The film itself is quite lavish, (being set in the late 18th century) and has the most beautiful musical score I’ve ever heard. The film was chosen as the royal film of 1976, and was paid a visit by the Windsor family. The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret, (and her two daughter’s) came to the set to meet the actor’s, and the film debuted at the Royal Command Performance. The Queen Mother told the Sherman Brother’s that the waltz written for the ball scene was the most beautiful she had ever heard. You can see by the things I’ve said in this post, that this is my favorite movie. It is worth the 2 1/2 hour watch if you want to see the inside of this palace!

6. melody says:

What a great capture of that castle, the reflection gives additional beauty..Nice angle for capturing…
    melody recently posted..How to Get A Cheap Car Insurance Estimate

7. Bob Crunch says:

Such a beautiful castle. I didn’t know it was in the opening scene of The Sound of Music.
    Bob Crunch recently posted..A How-To Guide for Landscaping

8. Arti says:

Ohh.. WOW! This is so very charming, enchanting, … am really falling short of adjectives here!!! Fabulous shot 🙂
    Arti recently posted..Neelkanth Peak in Badrinath

9. Denise says:

Oh that’s just beautiful! Privately owned??? wow!
    Denise recently posted..Six hours on a sightseeing ferry, anyone? – Lake Luzern and Lake Uri

10. Anita says:

Wow stunning picture. I’m going to Austria in 3 weeks. Would love to see this castle in person.

Have a good day,
    Anita
    Anita recently posted..Modern kitchen design – What to Consider

Thanks Anita! I’m actually going in a couple weeks too. Where will you be visiting while in Austria?

11. This castle looks like it’s right out of a fairytale! I’m so jealous of all the beautiful castles you’ve visited. 🙂
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge

12. Kristie says:

I wonder is this castle is so rounded by a water..is there any bridge from behind will anyway the picture was great.
    Kristie recently posted..You and Your First Job

13. Grace says:

Pretty! I like the saturation of this shot Debbie. Looks almost sepia-ish.
    Grace recently posted..Taking a moment for The Con and all things Nerdawesome!

Thanks Grace. Wish I could tell you I planned it! I have a lot to learn in the photography arena 🙂

14. Sooo nice! I have a special place in my heart for castles. I almost feel like breaking the rules, jumping on a boat and breaking in to do my own private tour. 😉
    Cheryl Howard recently posted..From The Roof of Milan’s Duomo.

15. So it’s really surrounded by water, like the castles in movies with drawbridges and moats?
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Quirky Attraction: The Wieners Circle

16. It seems like it is floating in the middle of the pond. Great shot.
    Sensibletraveler recently posted..Photo of the Week: America’s Pastime

17. I’m not usually a big fan of castles, but this one looks amazing. Great photo!
    Average Traveller recently posted..Monmouth Coffee and Borough Market

18. I’m a sucker for reflections and this is a great shot!
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..Tips for Taking a Road Trip around Europe

Thank you Christy! I think reflections add so much to picture and was glad to see I captured this one.

19. It definitely looks like something out of a movie 🙂
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Russian Cocaine in Buenos Aires?

20. Barbara says:

What a stunning photo. I love the willow tree and the reflection. Such a shame you can’t see inside, though. I bet THAT would be great fun.
    Barbara recently posted..Quan Yin, The Goddess of Mercy Temple

21. charlotte says:

Hi,

You did a splendid job in taking those photos! Your a pro…
    charlotte recently posted..During Your Pregnancy

22. Ayngelina says:

Great photo, looks so peaceful.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Ididamile and I want more

I think it looks peaceful too! A picnic nearby with a view of the castle would be nice 🙂

23. Sandra says:

Nice picture of castle ,wish i can go there in real,i am glad that i found this post thanks for sharing this with us.
    Sandra recently posted..Friendship Issues

24. The Sound of Music, the Bishops of Chiemsee, King Ludwig – what a lineup!
    Too bad, no public tours are available. Would be nice to see the inside.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Marcia
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday – Pulteney Bridge

25. Clark Minn says:

That is an awesome place!!I want to see this castle-like place in person…
    Clark Minn recently posted..Breaking Weight Loss Plateau: 5 Tips You can Do

26. Oh my gosh — The Sound of Music castle! Loved that movie, too. Beautiful place and you really caught that reflection nicely.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..A Taste of Dry Creek Valley

27. Lovely shot! I don’t remember seeing the castle in the movie, I’ll have to look out for it next time it’s on TV. (I did take the Sound of Music tour when I was in Salzburg though!)
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Brooklyn Bridge, New York

My husband went with me too. It really is a great way to see a lot of Salzburg and the beautiful surrounding area.

28. Muza-chan says:

Beautiful photo, I love reflections…
    Muza-chan recently posted..A Japanese Song per Day: T.M.Revolution – Flags

29. Jose says:

Hi Debbie, nice picture. This castle looks incredible, I will like to see its interior.
    Jose recently posted..BlackBerry Playbook – La tableta Blackberry

30. Nice photo and back story – tours are nice but to keep things sometimes not having company is required
    Come post your link http://www.eileenludwig.com/reflections-photo-thursday-san-diego-waterfront/

Beautiful, but I’m soooo disappointed to hear there are no public tours offered! I thought it looked familiar and then I read the part about the Sound of Music, which I agree, is the best movie EVER :0
    Laurel recently posted..View from Panorama Ridge, Banff National Park

Seems a lot of people rank the Sound of Music as one of their favs too! A tour would be awesome but I guess the residents don’t want strangers traipsing through their bedrooms.

32. Estter says:

I like the photo i never sees before and the sound is good not hurting my ears listening to it.thanks for sharing this to us.
    Estter recently posted..Dealing With My Own Frustrations

33. The castle did look familiar and I was just about thinking “where had I seen it”, when you mentioned sound of music. And I was just about wondering whether there was a public tour, when you answered it later :).

I had read the novel Odessa File but have not watched the movie. If I watch it, I will be on the lookout for this castle.
    Amanda Gordon recently posted..Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

34. Great photo! I do remember seeing this in the Sound of Music (one of my favs!) Is this place completely surrounded by water? I see a bridge in the back but its seems a little weird unless this place gets a lot of flooding.

1. […] Travel Photo Thursday-Anif Palace | European Travelista […]