September 20, 2017

Bridging Europe

When traveling we come across many bridges that are part of the local customs, history and folklore.

Some bridges are very famous or very high

Đurđevića Tara Bridge over the river Tara in Montenegro

Đurđevića Tara Bridge in Montenegro by Cornelius Bechtler

Tower Bridge London England

Tower Bridge London England by Diliff

Some are very beautiful and some you couldn’t pay me to cross!

Kapellbrucke Lucerne Switzerland

Kapellbrucke Lucerne Switzerland

Rickety Bridge in Europe

Rickety Bridge Latvia

But they all are works of art, functional and just plain amazing. I’m not an engineer, so it always amazes me how these structures can stretch so far, reach so high and withstand all the abuse they take from vehicles and the elements.

I thought it would be fun to look at few bridges Europe has to offer!

Oresund Bridge

Öresund Bridge Sweden Denmark

Öresund Bridge by Hardo, on Flickr

Øresund or Öresund Bridge is one of the more unique bridges I have ever seen. This bridge connects Denmark and Sweden and is both a bridge and tunnel! The bridge portion spans 25,739 feet from Sweden to a manmade island, Peberholm, from here you enter the tunnel to cross under the Drogden strait. The tunnel includes 2 rail tracks and 4 lanes for cars. During construction there were 2 delays one being do to finding 16 unexploded bombs from WWII laying on the seafloor.

Goltzsch Viaduct

Goltzsch Viaduct Saxony Germany

Goltzsch Viaduct Saxony Germany© Chriusha (Хрюша)

Goltzsch Viaduct is the largest brick built bridge in the world. This railway bridge was built between 1846 – 1851, spans the Goltzsch valley and connects Bavaria and Saxony in Germany. There are 98 vaults over 4 levels with the top level made up of 29 arches.

Rio-Antirrio Bridge

Rio-Antirrio Bridge Greece

Rio-Antirrio Bridge Greece © Guillaume Piolle

The beautiful Rio-Antirrio Bridge is official known as the Charilaos Trikoupis bridge and is the longest multi span cable-stayed bridge in the world. Crossing the Gulf of Corinth and connecting the towns of Rion and Antrion (on the Greek mainland), this 9,449’ long bridge is a feast for the eyes! The bridge has 2 lanes for traffic in each direction and a path for walkers or bikers. An interesting fact is the piers can slide on the gravel to accommodate any tectonic movement.

Bosphorus Bridge

Bosphorus Bridge Istanbul Turkey

Bosphorus Bridge Istanbul Turkey By Kara Sabahat

The Bosphorus Bridge is one of the few bridges on this earth that spans 2 continents. This beautiful bridge spans the Borphorus strait connecting Europe and Asia. The suspension bridge has 3 lanes in each direction for cars and when it is fully loaded sags 35” at mid span! There is an annual marathon that includes running over the bridge.

Vasco de Gama Bridge

Vasco de Gama Bridge Lisbon Portugal

Vasco de Gama Bridge Lisbon Portugal by Till Niermann

The longest bridge in Europe is the Vasco de Gama which spans the Tagus river near Lisbon, Portugal. The bridge is almost 11 miles long and was opened in 1998 just in time for Expo 98 which celebrated the 500th anniversary of de Gama’s discovery of the route from Europe to India.

Magdeburg Water Bridge

Madgeburg Water Bridge Germany

Madgeburg Water Bridge Germany by Botaurus

Magdeburg Water Bridge caught my eye because it isn’t a bridge made for cars or trains. This bridge is a navigable aqueduct for boats connecting the Elbe-Havel canal to the Mittelandkanal by spanning the Elbe river in Eastern Germany! There is a walkway and bike path along the span including signs telling the history and construction of the bridge.

So there you have it! Some beautiful, unique and interesting bridges you could find while in Europe.

Have you seen any of these? Do you like Bridges?

Comments

1. Because the admin of this web page is working, no doubt very shortly it will be famous, due to its
    feature contents.
    any driver van insurance recently posted..any driver van insurance

2. I am extremely impressed along with your writing skills as smartly as with the structure to your blog.
    Is this a paid topic or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality
    writing, it’s uncommon to look a great blog like this one nowadays..
    flooring services london recently posted..flooring services london

3. Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple
    ipad and tested to see if it can survive a thirty foot drop,
    just so she can be a youtube sensation.
    My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views.
    I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share
    it with someone!
    floor fitters South West London recently posted..floor fitters South West London

4. I just much like the beneficial details you deliver on your reports. Let me bookmark your site along with test out again right here on a regular basis. We are comparatively selected I’m going to understand numerous innovative goods the following! All the best for!

5. Imagine the excitement of the player on seeing his real life hero as a part of his army in Unit Command Trading Cards Game.
    But then being kids, in a second the five snapped back
    and carried on with what was in front of them. Electronic Scrabble Flash is
    a new adaptation of the famous Scrabble board game.
    Online games King recently posted..Online games King

6. Michael says:

That’s some collection of bridges. You must have one or two of the covered wooden bridges that I see a lot of in Germany and recently in Austria.
    Michael recently posted..Easy Hiking Is Adventure For Beginners

7. Those are all really fantastic bridges. Very diverse.
    adventureswithben recently posted..The 5 Month Vacation my Suitcase Took

8. Bob Crunch says:

Wow all of these bridges are amazing and are sights to behold. If I was to pick my favorite I would have to pick the Magdeburg Water Bridge. I have never seen anything like it. Awesome photos and great idea for an article!
    Bob Crunch recently posted..Bluegreen Communities and Operation FINALLY HOME

The Magdeburg Bridge was really interesting to me. I have never seen a bridge made specifically for boats! I would love to see it too.

9. hannamay says:

Hello Debbie, You have some awesome post here, I’m looking forward to go at Madgeburg Water Bridge. i don’t think how beautiful that bridge are…
    hannamay recently posted..Luxury Chalet

10. Grace says:

Yeah that rickety bridge is way beyond my comfort zone. This is such a fun post Debbie. Are you doing towers next? =)
    Grace recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Blast from the Travel Past

I hadn’t planned on writing a post on towers but thats a great idea! We’ll just have to see what pops into my head 🙂

11. Maylin Hanna says:

I wish one day i go there spend time with my family it’s always my dream,we never know maybe next year i have vacay to my work and i go there.
    Maylin Hanna recently posted..play angry birds

12. Tijmen says:

Awesome list, only knew three of them. Especially love the Rio-Antirrio and the Goltzsch Viaduct bridge. Couldn’t be a bigger contrast between those 2 different bridges. One being so old, and the other one really modern. Would love to visit hem one day.
    Tijmen recently posted..Tips for Overland Travel in West Africa

I really liked both those bridges too! The Rio-Anitirrio is a modern miracle and the Goltzsch just amazes me that they could actually build it way back then! Truly amazing.

13. Love Bridges and their structure Did you physically see all these bridges or is this research – love the water bridge -bridges fascinate me and how they can stay up
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..How to use Natural Light to create an Amazing Photograph

I found the water bridge very interesting too! No I haven’t visited all of these bridges but have found a couple I would like to see 🙂

14. Denise says:

I find the Luzern bridge soooo overrated, but I have some lovely memories at the foot of the Bosphorus bridge at night….magical, to say the least.
    Denise recently posted..My biggest travel regret

I can see why people think the bridge in Lucerne is overrated. I think it is just a beautiful location with such a calming feel to it. I would love to see the Bosporus.

15. juanderlan says:

i really love to visit all of these very wonderful places! i’ve been to the Rickety bridge in Latvia, very peaceful a perfect place to relax, sit back and enjoy nature, there’s a tiny cozy cafe a hundred meters away from the other side and the people there are hospitable, likewise the food 🙂
    juanderlan recently posted..-BAPTISM INVITATION CARDS

16. Jevans says:

Wow! Thanks for stopping by here, the bridge seems really nice too!… very enjoyable looking the view…
    Jevans recently posted..play angry birds online

17. All i can say is WOW! breathtakingly beautiful.!!! .. I’ve never seen such an amazing bridge like those.. they have Mega structures and it looks so Awesome! I adore bridges too, and i wish i could go to Europe personally to see it!

Bridges are fascinating to me too! Hopefully you’ll get to Europe to see the bridges and all the other wonders there are.

18. Patricia Anne says:

WOW!Very nice photos i just hoping that one day i can go there,because i been working 24/7 i don’t have even time to my self no dates,and no hang out to friends…
    Patricia Anne recently posted..angry birds toys

19. wow the mega structures looks awesome ..everything bridge is unique in its architecture ..i love that vasco da gama bridge in Portugal .
    Sheril Benedict recently posted..velankanni shrine – Our Lady of Health !!

The unique architecture is one reason I like bridges! Plus I find the engineering of the structures so fascinating.

20. I loved this article and must see the Montenegro countryside some day. Great photos my friend!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..La Sainte Chapelle – the Holy Chapel – a crowning jewel on Île de la Cité in Paris, France

21. Mc Ardy Rodriguez says:

What a nice bridge, this is my first time that i saw this kind of bridge, can’t believe how they do it. thanks for sharing ..
    Mc Ardy Rodriguez recently posted..play online angry birds

22. The surroundings AND the bridges are incredible. I love the look of the Goltzsch Viaduct.
    Kent @ No Vacation Required recently posted..Testing Expedia, Priceline, Travelticker and Voyage Prive

23. clara says:

aww.. lovely pictures.. and the scenery is very stunning.. i wish i could go there personally to see it! i know it would be even more beautiful seeing it in actual..
    clara recently posted..angry birds online

Excellent idea for a post., Deb. I adore bridges, both how they look and what they represent. Øresund is right down the street and was quite a big deal when it was built, as it’s the only link (that isn’t a boat) between Norway/Sweden and the European continent. The water bridge in Magdeburg looks fabulous. Can’t believe I haven’t heard about it. Too long since I’ve been in Germany, apparently!
    Sophie recently posted..Pizza night in the Italian countryside

Thanks Sophie! I found the Oresund intriguing because it is both a bridge and a tunnel. I could imagine how awesome it would be driving across the bridge and then going into the tunnel. Sounds really cool! I agree about the water bridge too. I need to go see that one in person.

25. A water bridge?!? That’s so rad! Other than that one, I think the Öresund Bridge is my favorite – it looks like a couple of sailboats. 🙂
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Housesitting in London: Check out our Crib

26. I’ve seen just Tower Bridge 😀 But I’m obsessed with bridges, are so cute!

Bridges are pretty amazing! So full of great architecture and they usually come with quite a history.

27. Clint Edeson says:

Wow! vary nice bridge, this my first time that i saw a bridge like that, thanks for sharing..
    Clint Edeson recently posted..BONDING TIME WITH MY GRANDPA AND THE BIRDS

28. Bridges are fascinating to me. We already have one of the most famous ones here in California but I haven’t seen any of these in Europe except for the Vasco de Gama one in Lisbon.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Part II A day in the lives of Scottish Games professional athletes

Yes we do have one of the most famous bridges in the world in California! I bet the de Gama was a beautiful sight.

29. I crossed that bridge in Greece driving from Athens to Delphi. It was such a beautiful drive. One of the highlights of the road trip for me.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..My Delicious Splurge in Buenos Aires

30. Christina says:

Rio Antirrio Bridge looks futuristic. Love the design. Have been to Tower Bridge and the Kappellbrücke in Luzern, both of which I adore! Cool post!
    Christina recently posted..Hokitika Wildfoods Festival on the wild West Coast

31. Give me a brigdge over a tunnel any day! The only one I’ve been to on your list is the Bosphorus Bridge…
    Raymond @ Man On The Lam recently posted..I Kissed a Ladyboy…And I Liked It

32. inka says:

What a beautiful selection. Yes, I have seen and crossed a few, bridges hold a great fascination for me. Lovely pictures too.
    inka recently posted..Amber in the Caribbean

33. Suteki says:

So many beautiful pics about selection of bridges.Rio-Antirrio Bridge is a favorite place I want to visit
    Suteki recently posted..What To Eat When You Fight With Belly Fat

34. Sailor says:

Of all the bridges featured here, I love the most simple one, Rickety Bridge Latvia.
    Sailor recently posted..Communication Choices on a Cruise Ship

35. i am an engineer. and it amazes me even more!!
    love the latvian bridge. very indiana jones.
    the rio antirrio bridge is like something out of a movie set way into the future. crazy stuff.
    jamie – cloud people adventures recently posted..Iconic Melbourne – and some Fluro Animals

Well I don’t feel so bad then! It does look futuristic. I was surprised that it moves around on the sea floor in an effort to deal with plate movement. That is just crazy!

36. Beautiful! I love the Rio-Antirrio Bridge.
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..Yellowstone Time Lapse Video

37. Heather Heyburn says:

Amazing i never thought how nice the place is,it made me think that one day i go there.i wanna go uo into Tower Bridge.hopefully i made it.
    Heather Heyburn recently posted..angry birds game online

38. Very interesting selection of bridges! I’m especially fascinated by the Madgeburg Water Bridge in Germany — I had never heard of this! Of all the bridges in your post, I’ve only seen Tower Bridge, London and Kapellbrucke, Lucerne. I better get busy and see the rest.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Views from POPOS

1. […] as the city continued to grow, it in turn became overcrowded. By the turn of the 20th century, the London Bridge was the single worst point of congestion in the entire capital.  In fact, the sheer weight of […]