April 26, 2017

Wine Tasting & Biking in Burgundy

A couple months ago I started exploring an area of France I want to visit, Burgundy.  In Burgundy France – Land of Plenty and Viva La France-Back to Burgundy! I talked about all that Burgundy has to offer any traveler and now its time to sample some of the wine Burgundy produces!

There are many ways to take part in wine tasting while in Burgundy.  You could drive on the “Route des Grands Crus” or hike along one of the 14 marked footpaths or enjoy a cycling tour.  All will take you through vineyards and villages.

Vineyard in Côte de Beaune Burgundy France

Vineyard in Côte de Beaune by Megan Mallen

Cycling Tours of Burgundy allows visitors to enjoy the small towns and villages, their history, art, scenic landscapes all while tasting wine along the way!  We all know Burgundy is synonymous with wine and this type of adventure looks like a great way to enjoy the scenery and enjoy wine in a little different way.

Domaine Confuron-Cotetidot, Bourgogne Aligote Burgundy France

Bourgogne Aligote by titanium22, on Flickr

There are many different biking routes in the region.  Whether you want to make this a multi-day event or a short day expedition, you will find it.  The different routes take you past the many different terrains in Burgundy.  While riding you will be feasting on the scenery along rivers and canals as well as the gastronomy that Burgundy is also famous for.

Each biking option offers its own variety of discovery whether you want to explore the local produce and foods from Morvan hams, fish stew, Bresse chicken, sausage and delicious cheese or discover the prehistoric past, myths, spiritual traditions, and charming villages of Burgundy.

The five Voies Vertes (Green Ways) of Burgundy include:

• The ride in Southern Burgundy is approximately 50 miles and features the best known wine collections including Maconnais, Pouilly-Fuisse and Saint-Veran.  Along this ride are the towns of Cluny with its abbey and Cormatin home to a beautiful chateau.
  • Saone to the Loire is a 60 mile ride along the Canal du Centre and home to red wines with a fruity nose and delicious whites.  In Bourbon-Lancy you will discover a wonderful medieval village that includes a spa.
  • Canal du Centre Burgundy France

Canal du Centre by PRA from wikimedia

• Riding along the Nivernais Canal takes you 105 miles through rich farmland and the natural beauty of Burgundy.  Pass drawbridges, swimming holes and wine villages or you can even do a little rock climbing!
  • The 130 mile ride along the Burgundy Canal wanders through everything Burgundy is known for:  farms, chateaux, enchanting towns and, of course, vineyards.  This ride takes you past Fontenay and Semur-en-Auxois two exquisite medieval villages.
  • The Vineyard Way ride is a short 12 mile ride from Beaune to Santenay through vineyards riding along paths that are still used by winegrowers.  This ride takes you through the heart of the Burgundy wine country and also passes through some of the most picturesque villages.

Burgundy France views of cathedral

Burgundy countryside by AEngineer, on Flickr

Lodging can be found along all of the routes above if you would like to spend a night or two along the way!  Luggage transfer can even be accommodated.

I know I didn’t delve into the technicalities of Burgundy wine and that’s because I am not a wine aficionado just a wine drinker!  So if you want to learn more about the varieties, classifications or labels from the wines of this area you might find the article Burgundy Wine Guide by the Wine Doctor very informative!

Would you like to explore Burgundy by bike?

Comments

1. you’re in reality a just гight webmaster. Τhe web site loading
    velocity is amazing. It seemѕ tɦat yοu are doing ɑny distinctive trick.
    In ɑddition, Тhe contents arе masterpiece.

үou’ve ɗone a fantastic job оn this matter!
    https://Www.Marchlewicz.com.Pl/ recently posted..https://Www.Marchlewicz.com.Pl/

2. I used to be recommended this website by means of my cousin. I’m now not certain whether or not this
    publish is written by way of him as nobody else recognise
    such particular about my trouble. You’re incredible!
    Thanks!
    bydgoszcz Dobry Psychoterapeuta recently posted..bydgoszcz Dobry Psychoterapeuta

3. Andrea says:

I loved Burgundy! Had no idea you can do bike wine tours there
    Andrea recently posted..Four Things We Loved About Ireland

4. Christina says:

Yes I would like to explore Burgundy by bike! Sounds and looks amazing!
    Christina recently posted..Ben & Jerry’s factory tour in Waterbury, Vermont

5. Shane says:

I God will grant me a wish right now… I will surely say “Please take me to Burgundy!!!”. What a wonderful place! So lovely in the pictures.. I can only imagine being there for real. Thanks for sharing your story!
    Shane recently posted..angry birds game

6. Bob Crunch says:

Great article. If I was to choose one green way to go biking on, I would choose Saone to the Loire so I can be next to the Canal du Centre.
    Bob Crunch recently posted..Bluegreen Communities and Operation FINALLY HOME

7. Judie-ann says:

Great post! thanks for introducing wine tasting and tanks for taking your time to discuss this.
    Judie-ann recently posted..angry birds flash game

8. Ayngelina says:

If it included wine I would LOVE to see Burgundy by bike!
    Ayngelina recently posted..Answering the most difficult travel question

9. Maretes says:

thanks for guiding us Debbie i am very much its very nice picture but bit scary will end up to Burgundy Canal.
    Maretes recently posted..angry birds pc download

10. Biking would not be something I could physically do but would love to explore the country of France way more than I did. Where ever the trains, buses or foot would take me is where I went.
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Tranquil Day at Beach with Yellow Umbrellas

11. I sure would!
    I wouldn’t mind being near the water sipping a nice glass (instead of packing!).
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday – New York City

12. I did a bike wine tasting tour in Mendoza, Argentina. It was such a fun way to explore the area and visit the vineyards. But I was quite tipsy at the end and probably shouldn’t have been riding that bike!
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Graffiti Art in Buenos Aires – Off the Beaten Path

This has been put way high on my list, which keeps growing! Responsible drinking and biking doesn’t sound so fun but I really like the idea I mentioned to Grace. Tandem bikes where my husband can be DBD (designated bike driver) 🙂

13. Barbara says:

Woweee!!! I can’t WAIT for you to research cycling and camping in Provence. That’s what we’re planning to do next May. 🙂
    Barbara recently posted..10 Toddler Foods In Langkawi

14. Adrian B. says:

Riding the bike across Burgundy and tasting the local wines sounds like a lot of fun. Of course, you should consider taking a few hours break after every wine tasting and then start another bike ride 🙂
    Adrian B. recently posted..Valencia, Spain – Historical Sites and Futuristic Architecture in One Place

Drinking and biking responsibly is still necessary! It does sound wonderful even if it’s only for a short ride.

15. Grace says:

Great guide Debbie. I would like to sample that cycling tour but I am afraid that I might end up in the canal! LOL
    Grace recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Blast from the Travel Past

Yes that could be a problem. Maybe a tandem bike is possible and then my husband can be the designated bike driver 🙂