May 26, 2016

Five of the Best Sweet Treats to Try in Paris

Sweet Treats in Paris France

Sweet Treats in Paris by Canon s3

When strolling along famous Paris streets like the Champs-Elysées and Rue Royale, your nose will be assaulted by delicious odors wafting from some of the greatest bakers, confectioners and chocolatiers in France.

Don’t be tempted by imitators – when in Paris, go for the original and best creators of world-famous sweet treats. See the top five places to satisfy your sweet tooth and your sense of occasion below…

1)  for bonbons: l’Etoile d’Or

Bernachon chocolates Paris by Ricardo

Bernachon chocolates Paris by Ricardo

Denise Acabo’s knowledge of chocolate is the stuff of local legend and though the French may passionately debate about which type is their favourite, everyone agrees that the perfect delivery system for her chocolate masterpieces are her heavenly bonbons.

Although retired now, Denise’s enthusiasm for making the most delicious sweet treats in Paris still rules her shop, and those seeking the ultimate chocolate experience continue to make a beeline to her door despite all the competition this epicurean city has to offer.  Many chocoholics confess that l’Etoile d’Or is their first stop when they get to Paris to get their bonbon fix and last stop before they leave Paris so they can stock up!

Where: 30 Rue Pierre Fontaine

2)  for hot chocolate: Angelina Cafe

glorious angelina's hot chocolate Paris France

Glorious Angelina's Hot Chocolate by Ingrid

Even though it’s known as a tea salon, that is not what put the quaint little Angelina’s Cafe near the Jardin de Tuileries on the list of “must taste” treats in Paris – it is, undoubtedly, the hot chocolate.

You may wonder what is so special about this hot chocolate, but when it arrives at your marble top table on a gleaming silver tray with a separate cream decanter sporting a silver spoon, you’ll start get the picture. Chocolat L’Africain (African chocolate) is what made Angelina’s Café famous, which is why the recipe is still a closely guarded secret that you have to come all the way to Paris to try for yourself.

Even though the cafe offers delicious pastries to nibble as well as breakfast and lunch delights, true aficionados want nothing to interfere with the experience of savouring what many consider the most satisfying hot chocolate in the world.

Where:  226 Rue de Rivoli

3)  for a glazed croissant: Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé Croissant Paris France

Pierre Hermé Croissant by Michal

Often compared to a religious experience, the glazed croissants made by Pierre Hermé are described in decidedly ecstatic terms by visitors who have tasted the perfect blend of flaky pastry wrapped around a pate of rose essence covered with a delicate confectioner’s sugar glaze.

Almost too pretty to eat, the infamous glazed rose croissant with its crowning touch of candied rose petals is such a work of art that it is often photographed thoroughly by delighted visitors before it is cheerfully devoured.

But it gets even better, there are lots variations with subtle hints of almonds, raspberries and, of course, chocolate – giving the rose croissant experience the potential to take your taste buds to you to the realm of the profound.

Where:  185 Rue de Vaugirard and 72 Rue Bonaparte

4)  for ice cream: Berthillon

Berthillon ice cream Paris France

Berthillon Ice Cream by Maki

If you’re wrestling with the concept of “healthy ice cream”, head for the little island in the middle of the Seine where the Berthillon (don’t pronounce the “h”) Ice Cream Shop can be found and you will understand it makes perfect sense.

Known as the luxury ice cream of Paris, this sweet treat is not mass produced but only made locally for patrons who walk in the door. Using top-quality organic milk, eggs and cream is just the first step, adding in the right blend of unexpected fresh fruits like apples, oranges, pears and even grapes is their secret to concocting what are unanimously considered the most delicious ice creams and sorbets in all Paris – and that’s saying something.

Even if your taste is more to the plain vanilla variety, you’ll find your dream ice cream waiting in this deceptively ordinary atmosphere. The selection of rich flavours, creamy textures and delicious ice cream dishes have a magical quality that is so spellbinding it keeps you coming back for more, but to avoid disappointment don’t show up on Monday or Tuesday when the shop is closed – even ice cream wizards have to rest!

Where:  29-31 Île Saint-Louis

5)  for macaroons: Ladurée

Ladurée Paris France

Ladurée by Leo

Described by some as what happens when Willy Wonka meets Marie-Antoinette, this delicious decadence is as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palette. Presented in a rainbow of colours that coordinate with the filling’s taste, these one-of-a-kind macaroons are crisp on the outside, smooth on the inside and bursting with flavour.

Ladurée macaroons are not, however, served fresh from the oven but sit patiently for two days so the creamy ganache filling sandwiched between two crispy cakes can achieve the optimum blend of texture and flavour – they’ve obviously got this down to an art.

Sweet-tooths beware, they have positioned their shops within walking distance of each other in the heart of Paris because they know once you’ve tried their macaroons, you’ll be drawn back for more like a moth to a flame.

Where:  75 Avenue des Champs-Elysées, 13 Rue Lincoln, 6 Rue Royale and 64 Boulevard Haussmann

About the Author: Lela Lake writes for AnyTrip.com, the Paris budget travel specialists. Check out AnyTrip’s collection of cheap Paris hotels, or check out their Love Paris competition for the chance to win one of four trips to Paris (until 30/09/11).

Related posts:

1. Montmartre a retreat in Paris
  2. Night Train to Paris
  3. Wine Tasting in Paris with O Chateau!
  4. 5 Cities to Take a Walk In
  5. Travel Foto Friday: Royaumont Abbey

Comments

1. Natalia says:

Never do last-minute revision on the test day,
    as you might discover something new and panic; last-minute revision is almost always counter-productive.
    Natalia recently posted..Natalia

2. You can certainly see your skills within the article you write.
    The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as
    you who are not afraid to mention how they believe.
    All the time follow your heart.
    height and weight of kevin hart recently posted..height and weight of kevin hart

3. google says:

For most recent information you have to pay a quick visit world-wide-web
    and on the web I found this web site as a best site for hottest updates.
    google recently posted..google

4. Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your website in Opera, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.

I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, superb
    blog!
    natural hunger recently posted..natural hunger

5. If you made the mistake of “half-assing” the whole thing, you’ll find yourself with a woman who doesn’t have any desire to
    meet you. The 80% of tasks that have less value and only
    contribute 20% of the productivity. By this I mean that many have been brainwashed to think that by
    spending more on a particular facet, you can get
    more results.
    Inspirational Speaker recently posted..Inspirational Speaker

6. It’s remarkable in support of me to have a site, which is good designed for my know-how.
    thanks admin
    legal contracts recently posted..legal contracts

7. I do not even know how I stopped up right here, however I
    thought this put up was once good. I do not realize who you are but definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger in case you aren’t already.
    Cheers!
    http://iifymflexibledieting.com/ recently posted..http://iifymflexibledieting.com/

8. What i do not understood is in reality how you are
    now not really a lot more smartly-preferred than you
    may be now. You’re so intelligent. You already know therefore significantly when it comes to this subject,
    made me personally imagine it from numerous numerous angles.
    Its like women and men are not fascinated except it’s one thing to accomplish with
    Lady gaga! Your personal stuffs great. Always
    care for it up!
    mind mapping tony buzan recently posted..mind mapping tony buzan

9. Thank you, I have just been searching for info approximately this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve found out till now.
    But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you certain concerning
    the supply?
    homemade cellulite treatment recipes recently posted..homemade cellulite treatment recipes

10. Bonjour à tous,

Merci pour cet article, j’apprécie le fait d’avoir ce genre de contenu sur internet. Encore plus le fait que ce soit accessible sans payer . J’ai l’impression que l’on vit dans un monde où tout devient payant et cher. je crois que je m’écarte.

Je vous remercie encore j’ai aimé lire votre article et en plus j’ai trouvé pas mal d’informations et de détails que je ne connaissais pas.
    Je vais souvent sur des blogs des articles comme celui-ci étant donné que c’est à chaque fois un très bon moment

Merci encore et à bientôt. Continuez comme ça

11. Great article and I would agree that these five treats look definitely worth trying! While visiting Paris, I found the cuisine delicious and the pastries heavenly!

12. Hi Debbie,

I found you through StumbleUpon.

I am French and and Freelance Writer. I have a blog called France Travel and Food, and my favorite French fine pastry is the macaron. I am from Lyon, but I lived 5 years in Paris for 5 years when I was studying Drama and featured in a few plays before I moved to New York. There I used to buy 5-6 giant macarons each Sunday at avenue de la Grande Armee right behind the Arc de Triomphe.

Thank you for these nice memories which came back to mind :)

Sylviane
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted..Molière The French Shakespeare An Incredible Personality

13. Jenna says:

Yum! I love the delicious treats in Paris–this just made me really hungry! :)
    Jenna recently posted..Scavenger Hunts and A Giveaway

14. Clayton says:

Who cares if the ice cream is healthy. Go nuts and eat it all. Might as well try all the awesome desserts you can while you’re on vacation
    Clayton recently posted..Trapped by the Spell that is Christ Church, Oxford

15. Joni says:

All good stuff, have had most of these except the glazed croissants. Yum!
    Just FYI, even as you leave Paris at CDG airport in Duty Free, there is a La Duree. I buy 4 every trip, 2 caramel `a la fleur de sel and 2 petale de rose. Love the fleur d’oranger as well. You can taste the smell of the flowers. Amazing!
    Ah Paris…..my second home!

Good tip! I had my first caramel macroon last summer in Wiesbaden Germany. I was in heaven at first bit!

16. I can’t wait to get my hands on those the next time I go to Paris> Incredible!!!!!! Just when I thought I could calm down my sugar cravings I have to see this! Ahhh!
    Luxury Travel Blog recently posted..Cool New Travel App Sends Customized Postcards

17. audreyisms says:

i love your travel blog, lots of really cool pictures. Europe, one day I will make it there! keep posting more goodies please =D xoxo

18. Claire says:

i must say this after hearing so much hype prior to visiting Paris: there is so much false hype surrounding Laduree macaroons. they are nothing special. at all. i was left flat after eating them. in fact, we didn’t even finish the box we bought, because they were that unspectacular. and i am a sweets lover. it’s more a pretentious thing than anything else. people like to say they had the macaroons at Laduree. Angelina’s, on the other hand, is amazing.
    Claire recently posted..Wedding of the Week: Autumn Orange

19. M5000 says:

OMG… ARE THOSE…. PRETTY PATTIES?!?!

20. Andrew says:

I have seen so many people talk about macarons, but I have never had one. The rest of the stuff looks really tasty as well. What seems to be missing are the waffles. I love the smell of the sugary waffle stands around Paris. It is one of the few smells I remember from my very first trip to Paris years ago.
    Andrew recently posted..A Day in Colmar

Waffles are a good choice too! I run early in the morning and the smell of breakfast cooking mingles in the morning air.

21. limoo says:

Thanks for this Sweet Treats :) )

22. Becka says:

WOW Yummy and delicious..:)

23. White Rabbit says:

Can we please call these sweets by the correct name! It’s MACARON not MACAROON. A macaroon is not the same dessert as a macaron.

24. Elise Walsh says:

Oh my goodness these treats look so amazing. My mouth is already watering- I need that hot chocolate. Those macaroons look insane!
    Elise Walsh recently posted..Your Vacation is Whatever & Wherever You Want it to Be

25. Dayna says:

Some of these look absolutely incredible – especially the macaroons.
    Dayna recently posted..Innsbruck: Tranquil Oasis in the Tyrolean Alps

26. Jim says:

We thought the macarons from Ladurée were pretty ho-hum – tasty but overly chewy.

Now, the ones from Jean-Paul Hevin’s little shop in Les Galeries Lafayette were so good they could make angels weep.

But, to each his own.

Ooh I haven’t had Jean-Paul Hevin’s macaroons but will the next time I”m in the lovely city! Laduree macaroons are good but no where near good enough to “make angels weep”!

27. I’ll take the ice cream, please! Seriously, though Debbie, they all look delicious.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Soulful Sundays – Quincy Jones

28. Claudia says:

Those macaroons look so good!!! I’m so jealous! I’ve only eaten macaroons once in my life, but that was enough to get me hooked! I think they were from some bakery in Beverly Hills.
    Claudia recently posted..Disney Costumes

29. Denise says:

I WANT THAT HOT CHOCHOLATE!!!!! Switzerland is world-famous for chocolate but the hot version usually comes in a packet and is awful!
    Denise recently posted..Bratislava: Portrait of a City

Those macaroos look wicked! Nom nom…
    Sophie recently posted..Images of Innsbruck

31. Allen says:

Hey Debbie, thanks for the advice. Since I love treats I’ll definitily go back to Paris for l’Etoile d’Or. I just love it when someone puts their heart and soul in some food, it never turns out bad that way.
    Allen recently posted..An Overview of The Most Popular Browsers

32. jenjenk says:

mmmm…that hot chocolate looks amazing!! bummed i didn’t know about it when I went this past may! :(
    jenjenk recently posted..Photo Friday: 10 Years Post 9/11

33. Ayngelina says:

I think I may be the only person who doesn’t swoon over macaroons, but that croissant is to die for.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Pack this, not that

My husband loves macaroons but I am really indifferent to them! I’d rather have a buttery croissant or that amazing hot chocolate. . . or both!

34. Andrea says:

Mmmmm – Pierre Herme and Berthillon are two of my absolute favourites! Great list =)
    Andrea recently posted..Istanbul is Larger Than Life

35. Sherry says:

This is a wonderfully informative post with beautiful photos, Debbie. I really appreciate it a lot, especially with so many places to choose from, its hard to find the best. I hope to make it to all of them someday, particularly Ladurée for their macaroons.
    Sherry recently posted..TRAVEL PHOTO: “The Rise of China’s Largest City”

36. I am so hungry from reading this! I have a HUGE sweet tooth and all of these look delicious. Not a huge fan of food when I travel but you can always get me to try desserts!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Where in the world am I? And the winner is…

37. Oh I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed Ladurée when I was in Paris just this June. Simply… Amazing!
    David @ MalaysiaAsia recently posted..Timberland’s Horqin Reforestation Project Inner Mongolia 2011

Sigh, yet another reason I need to go to Paris – for the amazing food!
    Laurel recently posted..Statue in Stuttgart

39. I sampled all the goodies mentioned on the post and I will vote for the hot chocolate at Angelina’s… and a side order of macarons, one of each color please!

40. Ooh, I just gave up sugar this week and it’s been so hard. I’m sure by the time I make it to Paris I won’t still be on this diet, so I will have to indulge in these :)
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..The story of my travel van getting set on fire and blown up

41. laurarel says:

Those are all mouth watering subjects. I like to taste that croissant if it really suites my palate. But honestly, you got a great post.Burp! (excuse me)
    laurarel recently posted..LESBIAN DATING SITES

42. Arti says:

The chocolates invite me there, looks irresistable!!!
    After seeing those pics, I will need to indulge myself today!
    Have a fabulous day:)
    Arti recently posted..Festive colors of Ganesh Chaturthi – Ganpati Pandals, Mumbai

43. Laduree is also in London at Harrods thankfully! Otherwise eurostar would be getting a lot more of my money :D
    Amy (Gloriously Dismal) recently posted..IBAN with a Side of Irritation

44. Angelina’s Hot Chocolate is the best on the planet!
    adventureswithben recently posted..Adventures in Alaska

45. Barbara says:

All I can say is — YUM!
    Barbara recently posted..Anchors Aweigh!

1. google spam says:

google spam…

Five of the Best Sweet Treats to Try in Paris | European Travelista…

2. [...] Five of the Best Sweet Treats to Try in Paris — I need to go back to France…adesso! Errr, I mean, maintenant! (?) [...]

3. [...] Five of the Best Sweet Treats to Try in Paris | European Travelista – StumbleUpon Ladurée by Leo 5) f or macaroons: Ladurée The epitome of the restaurant for ladies who lunch, the famous Ladurée macaroons are what sets this little café chain apart from all the others. Where: 29-31 Île Saint-Louis Described by some as what happens when Willy Wonka meets Marie-Antoinette , this delicious decadence is as pleasing to the eye as it is to the palette. [...]

4. [...] Ladurée by Leo Five of the Best Sweet Treats to Try in Paris | European Travelista – StumbleUpon [...]

5. [...] Suggestions by European Travelista: [...]