April 26, 2017

Gulaschsuppe, Gulyasleves or Goulash Soup

While traveling I am not a “foodie” per se. That doesn’t mean I don’t look forward to meals when traveling, I just don’t travel to locations to visit a certain chef’s restaurant nor do I even visit the “it” restaurant in town.

I do, however, love local traditional cuisine and that is what I search out.

On my first ever trip to Germany, I absolutely fell in love with Gulaschsuppe (Goulash soup) and it is something I look forward to any time I am in Germany or Austria.

On my latest trip I had Gulaschsuppe in Innsbruck . . . three times,Goulash Soup Innsbruck Austria

This one I had it with a wonderful nice green salad.More Goulash Soup Innsbruck Austria

Salzburg once. Goulash Soup Stiegl Brewery Salzburg Austria

I added an absolutely amazing potato/cabbage salad.  Oh my god, this salad was so good!  But then so was the soup and beer 🙂

And when in Budapest I just had to try the local version for a comparison.  The broth of this soup was wonderful and was extremely good for dunking the bread that came with it 🙂Goulash Soup Budapest Hungary

Goulash soup is a beef based soup with tomatoes, caraway and paprika!  In Germany and Austria the broth is a little thicker and usually contains small chunks of beef and potato in equal portions.

Gulyasleves in Budapest has a thinner broth with a little beef and TONS of potatoes and carrots!  Yah, vegetables.

I still love Gulaschsuppe, Gulyasleves or Goulash Soup even after 5 servings in 2 weeks.  They were all so good and I can’t say one was better than the other.

All I can say is the German version just holds a very special spot in my heart!

What type of food do you look for when traveling?  Any specialties that stick out?

Comments

1. Ergänzen kann man die Behandlung mit dem Salz Nr. 5. Kalium phosphoricum,
    welches gute Wirkung bei Erschöpfung und
    Herzschwäche zeigt.
    gesunde ernährung rezepte abends recently posted..gesunde ernährung rezepte abends

2. Die Menschen auf Okinawa leben seit jeher so, wie die modernen Ernährungspäpste
    uns predigen: weniger Fleisch, kleine Portionen, langsam essen.
    das-wichtigste-gut.heim.at recently posted..das-wichtigste-gut.heim.at

3. Sylvester says:

Drei Reisetage sollte man schon einplanen, bis
    man ganz im Süden angekommen ist.
    Sylvester recently posted..Sylvester

4. Dpa/Deutsche See Fischmanufaktur Lachs enthält viele gesunde Omega-3-Fettsäuren.
    http://ezangl78.blogspot.com recently posted..http://ezangl78.blogspot.com

5. Sobald neue iPhone – Nachrichten oder Gerüchte kursieren, werden diese im deutschen iPhone – Forum oder iPhone – Blog veröffentlicht.
    http://www.orf.at recently posted..http://www.orf.at

6. Greate article. Keep posting such kind of information on your
    site. Im really impressed by it.
    Hey there, You have done an incredible job. I’ll definitely digg
    it and for my part recommend to my friends. I’m confident they will be benefited from this site.
    psychoterapia dla dorosłych bydgoszcz recently posted..psychoterapia dla dorosłych bydgoszcz

7. Sailor says:

I am not too much into food when I travel…but like you said I love to check out the local food wherever I go.

You have some wonderful pictures of European food.
    Sailor recently posted..Singles Halloween Cruise with Carnival

8. Denise says:

my mother-in-law is Hungarian, and she served home made gulasch when I was at her house in Hungary last Christmas! However, she did put chicken heart in it…which I wasn’t so keen on
    Denise recently posted..Budapest, Vienna and Bratislava: cruising along the Danube

9. Andrea says:

We searched for well over an hour today for this little hole in the wall restaurant our friends told us we must eat at while here in Bursa, Turkey – I’d say we’re tragic foodies, haha =)
    Andrea recently posted..Çay and Conversation: Discovering Turkish Tea

I don’t know if I’d last an hour but I would definitely try to find a restaurant recommended by a friend. Thats a funny story!

10. jenjenk says:

i nearly drowned myself in goulash in budapest. love that stuff!!!
    jenjenk recently posted..Festivals: Festival del Prosciutto di Parma

11. My mother would make Hungarian goulash which was probably a mixture passed down from the German and Hungarian sides of the family
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Shadows enhance walkway Town and Country Resort San Diego California

I make a pretty mean goulash too! Bought some ‘real’ Hungarian paprika in Budapest so we’ll see if it makes any difference.

12. lanny says:

I have been searching for some information about it almost three hours. You helped me a lot indeed and reading this your article I have found many new and useful information about this subject.
    lanny recently posted..Trying To Get Pregnant Tips

I wasn’t a fan of goulash soup until I tried it in Germany, but now I enjoy it, especially on a cold day.
    Laurel recently posted..The Essence of Vancouver in One Photo

It is good and I am sure it would be awesome on a cold day. It wasn’t cool by any means when I was in Europe. The meals there are so much heavier than in the US, so when in Rome. . .

Gulashsuppe in Innsbruck…..nom nom!
    Sophie recently posted..Two highlights of Bahrain

15. We use the term “foodie” a lot like you — it’s not about eating at all the hot spots or paying an exorbitant price for a meal that’s the size of my thumb (and I have small hands!). It’s about seeking out local fresh food and enjoying the experience of trying new and delicious cuisines. Now THAT’S being a foodie! 🙂
    Technosyncratic recently posted..Are tours a good option for budget travelers?

16. I look for whatever is the local delicacy. I wasn’t aware goulash was a big German thing. Thanks for the mouth-watering report!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..I went to the Mormon Church grounds and they didn’t try to recruit me

17. Peter says:

Thanks for this post. I really like the soups they looked so good. I even get hungry when I look at the photo’s.
    Peter recently posted..audio conference call

18. Marlys says:

This is my mother-in-law’s favourite dish that she prepares whenever we come to visit, winter, spring, summer or fall. But I think this is basically a winter dish.

19. jade says:

Love this style of soup… can’t wait for the colder days to come and I can’t make huge pots of soups!
    jade recently posted..Peach Pickin’!

20. Christina says:

I love how you love the Gulaschsuppe! It’s very popular in Germany. Next time, try Gulasch mit Nudeln. Out of this world…
    Christina recently posted..Campsite review: Cascade Creek DOC campsite, Fjordland

Is that goulash with noodles? If so, I think I did have it but it came with spaetzle! Don’t even get me started on how much I love spaetzle 🙂

21. I had goulash in Budapest once….and have never been able to find the same dish since! It is so delicious 🙂
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Snapshot: Palm Springs, California

I bet its good. I didn’t have goulash in Budapest only the soup! I did have a couple dishes with paprika sauces though! They were super good too.

22. Katherina says:

I love Gulaschsuppe – my mom does a great one!!!
    Katherina recently posted..Photo Essay: Swimming in Crystalline Azure Water

23. I would sell my own mother up a river for a terrine of goulash. Just sayin’. 🙂
    Caanan @ No Vacation Required recently posted..Entitlement Sucks

24. Hey Debbie, though the dishes look absolutely fantastic, I am still having trouble pronouncing the names. The only German food I know is Pork Knuckles and sausages 🙂
    David @ MalaysiaAsia recently posted..Louis Vuitton Island Maison in Singapore

Ha ha, I don’t think I can pronounce the Hungarian version either! Pork knuckles and sausage are good to 🙂

1. […] back there is one thing missing in my food posts – dessert!  While I’ve talked about the Goulash Soup or the Schnitzel I love, I’ve really not talked much about sweets.  To be honest, […]

2. […] The hearty Bavarian menu includes Ham knuckles, schnitzels, wursts, potato pancakes, spaetzle and, one of my favorites, Goulash Soup […]

3. […] know it may have looked like I only ate Goulash soup during my summer trip to Europe but I actually ate other things!  Today I’m sharing my favorites […]

4. […] needed to find my way back to the bus stop, so I only had 2 tastings while enjoying a great bowl of Goulash soup and a wonderful potato/cabbage […]