August 29, 2016

Salzburg’s Altstadt-Music and History

Salzburg Austria is probably best known for music.  It is the birthplace of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and you can find music everywhere from street performers, parks, churches, opera houses, at one of the many festivals held throughout the year or on the Sound of Music tour!

This is a short video of some street performers I ran into within the first few hours of arriving in Salzburg.  Looking at YouTube, it seems this quartet has been around awhile!

What I found recently was a city that is also a visual display of its history.

Salzburg is a city of approximately 150,000 people that is divided by the Salzach River and bordered on the other side by a small mountain rising sharply from the city, the Monchberg.

Old Town Salzburg across Salzach river Austria

Old Town Salzburg by Jiuguang Wang

The Altstadt is the core of the city. A UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1997, the Altstadt has an enchanting feel to it with all the alluring old houses, charming platz’s complete with fountains celebrating Salzburg’s heroes, churches, cafes and tempting shops.Fountain Salzburg Austria

This part of Salzburg is a walker’s delight.  Car free, it is easy and fun getting lost just by wandering the streets.  You will always find yourself in familiar territory very shortly and you never know what discovery you will make at each turn.  Hidden alleyways or great local markets are just some of the gems you may run into!Wandering the streets of Salburg Austria

Mixed in among the narrow streets and grand platz’s are sites not to be missed including St. Peter’s Abbey and Cemetery, Salzburg Cathedral, the Residenze and Mozart’s birthplace.Salzburg Cathedral Interior Austria

The Salzburg Cathedral is considered to be one of the finest Baroque buildings north of the Alps.  There has been a cathedral on this spot since the 8th century.  As you walk into the cathedral you will notice 3 dates above the doors notating the date of major renovations to the cathedral.  Also as you enter, you will notice 4 statues depicting 2 apostles, St. Peter and St. Paul, and the 2 patron saints of the cathedral, St. Rupert and St. Virgil.  Mozart was baptized in this cathedral.  He was also the organist and many of his compositions were played for the first time in Salzburg cathedral.St. Peter statue at Salzburg Cathedral Austria

The Residenze and its famous horse fountain were built between 1600 and 1619 and was the home of the prince-archbishops.  A tour through the State rooms and Imperial Halls offer views into life at this time – at least if you were a prince bishop that is!  Mozart was invited to play for the bishops guests many times in the Residenze.

The Altstadt of Salzburg is a wonderful mélange showcasing the history of this town that was so important to the region in years past.  Besides touring the sights make sure to leave time relishing the ambiance at one of the many cafes or brew pubs!Cake and Coffee Salzburg Austria

What is your favorite thing to do in Salzburg’s altstadt?

Related posts:

1. Sound of Music in Salzburg!
  2. Free in Salzburg means . . .
  3. Travel Photo Thursday: Salzburg Teasers
  4. Gulaschsuppe, Gulyasleves or Goulash Soup
  5. Hallstatt Calling??!?

Comments

1. Foot says:

What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge on the topic of unexpected emotions.
    Foot recently posted..Foot

2. Nice overview of Austria and love the music!! And, your photography is gorgeous my friend. Thanks for letting me live vicariously.
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Exploring Durham Cathedral in Northeast England

3. Jim says:

Great to see those street performers Debbie. My Magnificent Monday theme this week will be ‘Street performers” so can you link this in next week please?
    Just not enough around on street performers who do add so m\uch colour to the street culture.
    Jim recently posted..There ain’t no mistakes – just steep learning curves.

4. Debbie, what is that dessert at the end of your post? Looks delish–and well, I’ve always wanted to go to the land of the Sound of Music!
    Christine from christineinspain.com recently posted..Windmills, Consuegra & Don Quijote

5. jenjenk says:

would you think less of me if I said that I’d run back to this bar where they had the best poured beer I’ve ever had. BEST. EVER.

6. Ayngelina says:

My favourite thing to do in ANY city is to eat!
    Ayngelina recently posted..Did I pack too much, again?

7. I love that night shot of old town. Your posts make me really want to visit Salzburg.
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..I’m in Geyser Heaven Photo Essay – Yellowstone National Park

8. Salzburg is definitely on my list! I’ve been to Austria but only in the Tirol region. Not been to Vienna or Salzburg and would love to visit these cities! The music is part of it but it’s much more than that – I love this area!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..The California State Capitol – a photo essay

Very true Jeremy! The Tirol region is wonderful but so it Salzburg and Vienna. I would like to spend more time in Austria visiting the small villages in the lesser known regions.

Salzburg is so beautiful and interesting, isn’t it? My favourite thing to do… pretend I’m little Wolfgang, exploring the narrow streets.
    Sophie recently posted..Two highlights of Bahrain

So one commenting danced the streets to the Sound of Music, one likes to enjoy Sachertorte and you’re little Wolfie! What is it about Salzburg? LOL

This post is getting me so excited for Salzburg (I’m going next week). i’m most excited to explore the Aldstadt. I love pedestrian only places.
    Laurel recently posted..Photojourney to Oktoberfest Parade

I really like pedestrian areas too and wish we had more here in the states. I know your trip to Salzburg will be wonderful and can’t wait to hear about your adventure.

11. inka says:

Fancy that you should post a picture of the Hotel am Dom. I stayed there, it’s really fab and so close to all the beautiful things to do and see in Salzburg. I have to confess that I love best to sit and ‘pig out’ on Sachertorte in the Cafe Sacher.
    inka recently posted..Enjoy Munich’s Viktualienmarkt

That is funny! I’ll keep the Hotel am Dom in mind for my next visit. Sitting while enjoying the wonderful Sachertorte is very enjoyable.

12. Great sites and pictures for a wonderful visit to a special place
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Colors enhance, pop, focus, and balance a photograph

1. [...] Salzburg is famous for its hills being alive with the Sound of Music but there is another village in the area that is famous for instruments that help make this beautiful music! For more than 300 years violins from this unassuming mountain village, located near the border of Tirol and Bavaria, have been famous in the musical world.  Even Mozart played a violin with the “made in Mittenwald” stamp! [...]

2. [...] elegant theater is near Mirabell gardens a very short walk from the Altstadt.  Although the current theater has only been in use since 1971 the Salzburg Marionettes have been [...]