March 24, 2017

Salzburg Beer Experience

So you didn’t think I’d leave Salzburg without some Beer Experiences did you?

Nope I didn’t!  In fact, I visited 2 breweries during my stay.

My first beer adventure was at the Stiegl Brauwelt (Stiegl Brewing World).Entrance to Stiegl Brauwelt Salzburg Austria

The Stiegl Brewery has been brewing beer in Salzburg since 1492 (and you thought that date was only important because of Christopher Columbus!) and is the largest private brewery in Austria today.

At the Brauwelt you can enjoy the beer museum, one of the 3 restaurants and visit the gift shop!

During your trip to the museum you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about beer and maybe more.  The largest beer “experience” in Austria will help you understand how beer is made.

I learned that beer is about 90% water and, therefore, extremely important for brewing the best beer.  Stiegl’s water comes from a spring on the Untersberg Mountain, so you know it is pure.Malt used in Beer making at Stiegl Brauwelt Salzburg Austria

Barley malt is what gives beer its body and color.  At Stiegl they use barley grown in Austria picked green from germinating barley before being roasted to obtain the desired color, taste and aroma.

The oil, acid and bitters from the Hops add a tangy taste to the finished product.Hops used in Beer making at Stiegl Brauwelt Salzburg Austria

It is the yeast that converts sugars into alcohol and carbon dioxide (making it bubbly!).

See I told you, you would learn more about beer than you ever thought!

Finishing the museum tour you will see antique beer equipment, the largest beer tower in Europe, a display of beer steins and more.Beer Tower Stiegl Brauwelt Salzburg Austria

The best part is your entrance fee of 9 € includes a free gift and 3 beer tastings!!  Let me tell you, the beer tastings are only slightly smaller than an actual glass of beer, so there is plenty of beer tasting to be had.

I needed to find my way back to the bus stop, so I only had 2 tastings while enjoying a great bowl of Goulash soup and a wonderful potato/cabbage salad!Goulash Soup Stiegl Brewery Salzburg Austria

All in all, it was a great few hours spent at the Stiegl Brauwelt!  Oh, and the beer was Sehr Gut 🙂

Have you been to a Beer Museum?  Tell me about your beer experiences?

Comments

1. All that for 9 Euros, what a deal!
    I’m not a big beer drinker but I’d have done that tour.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday – Bath Sandwich Board

2. Erik says:

I went to the Heinekin Brewery in Amsterdam. The tour was ok, but it’s not a functioning brewery anymore.

Last May, my dad and I went to the Yuengling Brewery in Pottsville, PA. That was a cool tour!
    Erik recently posted..Northern California- Day Three

3. jenjenk says:

argh! another thing I missed in salzburg!! now I’m really mad! 🙂 but i’m glad to see that i wasn’t crazy and the beer WAS excellent in salzburg!
    jenjenk recently posted..Eating in Curacao

There are many things I missed during my trip. I’m looking at it this way – I need to go back 🙂

4. I know absolutely *nothing* about beer, so this tour would be great!
    Technosyncratic recently posted..Mdina, Malta’s Ancient “Silent City”

5. This was one thing that my husband was desperate to do, but we ran out of time I’m afraid, not that he didn’t tray a few beers anyway around town!
    Heather on her travels recently posted..Discover the secrets of Prague

6. Glad to see you’re back to the beer reviews 🙂
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Packing Round 2

7. Good post Debbie,
    Brings back memories of my tour of the Heineken brewery and a few other in Germany.
    Nothing like fresh brewed beer!
    Very good pics too!
    Cheers,
    John D. Wilson
    John D. Wilson recently posted..There’s more to Orlando than Disney World and Epcot Center!

8. Marlys says:

Somebody loves her beer 😉
    Marlys recently posted..The Fourth Apple in Paris

Oh gosh, we do drink beer in my house! Especially after my son moved home from college with a new hobby. . . beer making! He brews it, enters competitions, actually wins and we drink it to 🙂 There is always beer in the keg-erator in the garage!

9. BrowsingRome says:

Hi Debbie,

You sure have learnt a lot about beer and thanks for all those photos. Lovely! I have never been to Austria and just recently I had thought about going there. I have heard and seen that it’s gorgeous.
    BrowsingRome recently posted..September in Positano

10. Very interesting. Salzburg is not the place I would think of for beer history, tasting, and the beer experience.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Where in the world am I?

11. inka says:

Yes, I really learned a lot and the picturea are lovely. Even so, I won’t become a beer drinker, even if it’s 90% water.
    inka recently posted..Miami for beginners

12. My grandmother made ghoulash and I always hated it. Maybe my palatte has changed now that I am all grown up?

13. jade says:

Two brewery experiences?! Love it! Sounds like a great time, I always really enjoy tasting different beers and wines. That meal looks pretty great too.
    jade recently posted..People Stop and Stare: VW Road Trip from LA to Big Sur

I love trying the different libations different locations offer. Beer and wine are so popular today it is hard to pass up!

14. Arti says:

Looks like you had a great time… I did not know that beer was 90% water!!
    Have a fabulous week ahead:)

1. […] beautiful Mirabell Gardens should not be missed on any visit to Salzburg Austria.  Besides the amazing flowers, fountains and gardens Mirabell is home to equally impressive […]