September 25, 2017

A Bit of Home while in Europe

Many of you know I live in the San Francisco Bay area and if there is one thing San Francisco is known for it is the abundance of street performers.

Whether they are playing a musical instrument, dressed up in foil waiting for someone to place money in their cup before they start dancing or hiding behind a tree branch to scare passers by (at Fisherman’s Wharf, it is hilarious!) you can find it all in good ole San Francisco.

Imagine my surprise when I ran into the same thing this summer in Europe!

First I ran across this Pharoah of Bamberg Germany who would only perform by placing a few Euros in his cup.Bamberg Pharoah Bamberg Germany

In Innsbruck this trio had staked out their territory and were here every day performing to the delight of the passers by.  They always drew a large crowd and were actually pretty good but would only play for Euros!Innsbruck Austria Jazz Statues

These are just 2 of the street performers that reminded me of home!

Have you run into these types of street performers during your travels?

For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Every Thursday they post new photos from their travels and invite others to join in!

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Zea says:

Hi Debbie…I am happy that you have shared your post here and it gives me an inspiration actually…
    Zea recently posted..Storvino Nero 6 Bottle Wine Storage Container

2. Tammie says:

I haven’t been to Europe and most likely,. I will try my best to visit that place…Anyway, thank you for the information you have here for us…

That trip was really amazing and I think I have to visit those places too…I know I will enjoy it…

4. Lana says:

I am dreaming to go to Europe someday and I hope I will enjoy it like you do Debbie…I haven’t been there and I heard the places are awesome…

5. Helga says:

Visiting Europe is always fund and the places there are all awesome…

6. Red Nomad OZ says:

LOOOOVE that pharoah! I once saw performers similar to the jazz statues in Adelaide, South Australia. Only difference was they were set up as ‘artworks’ hanging off the wall (but in giant frames) in a museum! Every now & then they’d do something unexpected like shake someone’s hand – it was kind of surreal!!
    Red Nomad OZ recently posted..Aussie Icons #5 – Tree of Knowledge, Barcaldine, Queensland

7. Keira says:

I hope I can visit those places too…It looks so amazing and the place is very fantastic!!
    Keira recently posted..Popular And Well-Known Indicators For Forex Trading

8. Street performers fascinate me. It’s such a rough gig but they add a lot to the atmosphere!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Carlsbad Caverns: A quirky national park

9. Andrew says:

We saw a Pharoah in Paris underneath the Eiffel Tower just last weekend. I’ve never seen Jazz Statues, but plenty of actual Jazz Musicians.
    The best one of these street statues I ever saw was in Florence near the Uffici. There is a long row of marble statues near it. One guy set up a pedestal and really really looked like he belonged to the row.
    Andrew recently posted..German Winefest

10. Arti says:

Hah:) loved the first pic, very cute…
    Have a fabulous sunday:)

Those are a couple of nice shots Debbie. I’ve only seen this sort of thing a few times before. They make a great photo opportunity.
    Leigh recently posted..A Conference For Every Style of Travel Blogger

12. Yes! I love seeing street performers. It’s funny how you can see the golden or silver ones all over the world.
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Circle of Animals/Zodiac Heads

13. I see them in Buenos Aires, but they are nowhere near as good as the ones I have seen in Europe.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Goodbye Columbus: A Photo Essay

I love the street performers found in Germany and Austria. I had seen a few in Calgary, Canada, but not nearly as many or as creative as what I’ve seen here.
    Laurel recently posted..Cheese Please: The Best Cheese I’ve Ever Tasted

15. jenjenk says:

i kinda miss seeing the electric guitar guy in venice…those were the good ol’ days! 🙂
    jenjenk recently posted..Eating in Curacao

16. senorita says:

I feel like street performers are a major staple of the European Experience… And, I’ve noticed that each time that I see them, they just get better and better 🙂

17. We have a few here in NYC – one dresses all in silver. We’ve also had the naked cowboy.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday – Bath Sandwich Board

18. Most amazing what people of the world do to make a few bucks.
    Humans are adaptable to do what it takes to make a living.
    Great pics and interesting story.
    Cheers,
    John D. Wilson
    John D. Wilson recently posted..There’s more to Orlando than Disney World and Epcot Center!

They are pretty entertaining! Some even become famous too. Robin Williams actually started as a street performer in San Francisco! That would have been a hoot to run into 🙂

19. Yay, fellow San Franciscans! (High Five)

I remember the one at Fisherman’s Wharf….the guy who has 2 tree branches/or bushes in his hands, usually sits near the garbage can, and suddenly reaches out to scare people walking by XDD (And he gets angry if you don’t give me money after he scared you )

They give the city so much more color and characteristic ^_^
    Annie – FootTracker recently posted..Monterey (2) The Unexpected Beauty @Cannery Row

Ooh, I love that guy but have never seen him get angry if you don’t leave money! We have spent many hours watching him, laughing the whole time.

(High Five back!)

20. Marlys says:

I know that there are loads in London. Some really very creative. We have them too here in Montmartre, but not as varied.
    Marlys recently posted..Easy Hiker – 1 Of The BEST New Travel Blogs In 2011!

Street performers are such fun. We have heaps in Oslo during summer.

22. Muza-chan says:
  23. Nancie says:

Great shots!

I’m from Halifax and we have the International Busker’s Festival every August. They get some excellent acts.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday – September 29, 2011- Korean Traditional Dance

24. Everywhere. From the Charles Bridge to Waikiki, HI. It’s a global blight, I tell you. A pox! 🙂
    Caanan @ No Vacation Required recently posted..Overcome Your Fear of Cruising

The Jazz Statues look very cool! And it’s funny, but you’re right I think. Street performers are much more common in the US – even though I’ve seen quite a few in large German cities as well.
    Sabrina recently posted..Dinner With a View at The Grapes in London

26. I saw a Saddam Hussein with a handcuffed Osama Bin Laden on a leash in Honolulu a few months back. They were a crowd favourite for sure. 🙂
    Raymond @ Man On The Lam recently posted..The Throwing of the Up

27. Cheryl says:

Cute pics! I like street performers but tend to stay far away. Sometimes it’s a scam (especially in Barcelona) … someone will pick your pocket as you gaze at them.
    Cheryl recently posted..Getting Medieval In Rostock, Germany.

Thats too bad. I haven’t heard of any issues like pick pockets in San Fransisco but I’m sure they’re out there trying to ruin somebodies day!

28. cliff1976 says:

We saw those dudes in Regensburg at the end of June this summer! http://flic.kr/p/9ZUNuA
    cliff1976 recently posted..Iasi goofed their stamps’ dates yesterday

They were at that same corner in Innsbruck everyday that I thought they were an “Innsbruck” band! They get around.