November 20, 2017

Mittenwald: Pictures Tell the Story

The only reason I decided to visit Mittenwald Germany was it’s status as one of the most beautiful Bavarian villages.

As divulged in Magical Mittenwald – Bavaria at its Best I am a complete sucker for the quaint villages so often found deep in Bavaria near the Austrian border.  So off I went to Mittenwald in search of “that” village.

This is what I found!

Beautiful street view Mittenwald Germany
Mittenwald is known for it’s storybook quality which reeks from every nook and cranny of the village.Street outside Violin Museum Mittenwald GermanyYes it is touristy but it doesn’t really seem to take away from your enjoyment of the village.

Painted Building Mittenwald Germany

This peaceful alpine village is known for it’s painted buildings and they are everywhere! The frescoes depict both religious themes and details of the history of Mittenwald.

Frescoed Building Mittenwald Germany

Surrounding Mittenwald are the mountains, which are right there!

Mittenwald Germany the mountains are right there

As in most European villages, the church takes center stage.  The lovely Sts. Peter and Paul church is at the center of Mittenwald.  You can’t miss the lovely frescoed tower!

Street View with Church in Background Mittenwald Germany

Even though this church is slightly more modest than other European churches, the inside of the church is very beautiful and full of tiny details.

Inside Mittenwald Germany ChurchCheck out the wood working details on the ends of the pews!

Inside Mittenwald Church Look at detail on pews

It doesn’t take long to tour Mittenwald, a couple hours will do.  Don’t rush your visit, though, as you will need time to soak in all the atmosphere.Facade Alpenrose Hotel Mittenwald Germany

Which may include a lovely dinner outside with a couple local boys playing great Bavarian music!Dinner outside Alpenrose Hotel Mittenwald Germany

I love these alpine Bavarian villages, what is your favorite type village to spend time in?

Comments

1. Many thanks for the great write-up, I was searching for specifics such as this, going to visit the various other posts.

2. Loise Senko says:

Thanks for the excellent article, I was searching for details such as this, visiting visit the various other blog posts.

3. Tiara says:

wow, whatta great village. love at the first saw 🙂 (y) greeting from indonesia.

4. I love storybook villages and have now added Mittenwald to my bucket list. BEAUTIFUL photography my friend!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..ArtSmart Roundtable: Paris’ Haunted Père Lachaise Cemetery

5. jenjenk says:

gorgeous!! love bavaria but haven’t been to mittenwald…
    jenjenk recently posted..Nashville, TN: Not Just a Country Capital, but a Creative Cocktail Scene

Bavaria is one of my favorite places too! A trip to Mittenwald is definitely called for. It is a really charming village.

6. Thanks to your photos, I now regret not making that short trip from Garmisch-Partenkirchen over to Mittenwald!

Great photos, great looking town! Did you also manage to go up to Karwendel? If so, how was it like up top?

Thanks again for your post, Debbie!
    fotoeins | Henry recently posted..Sunset at Sandtorhafen

Hi Henry! I had skipped Mittenwald before too! I highly do recommend it next time you’re in the area. I didn’t go up the Karwendel but have decided I need to go back and spend time exploring the area via the trails and cable cars.

7. Terrie says:

I really like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and exposure! Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve added you guys to our blogroll.

8. This town looks so beautiful and quaint… and then to have those mountains in the background! I bet it’s an awesome place to wake up every morning. 🙂
    Technosyncratic Travel recently posted..Drugs & Grunge: Another Side of Berlin

9. Ashley says:

Those painted buildings are fantastic – would love to visit there sometime.
    Ashley recently posted..Pumpkins, Hay Bales And a Haunted Barn

I love the charm of Bavarian villages and could spend hours just checking out the frescoes.
    Laurel recently posted..Andechs Monastery: A Place for Pilgrimage, Praying and Beer Drinking

11. inka says:

Nah, touristy doesn’t matter. Mittenwald is Mittenwald, but you should see it in winter. Even more fairy tale like.
    inka recently posted..The many faces of Eyüp/Istanbul

12. Sailor says:

Feels like walking through a fairy tale.
    Sailor recently posted..Mississippi River Cruises Return in Spring

13. Mark Wiens says:

Wow, those mountains in the background really make it beautiful! I think my favorite type of village is a tropical coastline village, but I also really love mountain scenery too.
    Mark Wiens recently posted..Hidden Treasures at the Local Market in Sanjiang City, Guangxi Province, China

14. Storybook villages are so cute.
    adventureswithben recently posted..A Mile-By-Mile Recap of the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon: Everything I Discovered

15. Mittenwald looks gorgeous. I’m pretty sure I was on a tour bus that drove through there but didn’t stop 🙁 I love the painted buildings.
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Even More Fun Travel Apps (Part 1)

16. I love these Bavarian villages as well! When you first posted a picture of this for travel photo Thursday, I knew I would like it. The location is perfect and these photos just make me like it even more. I love places like this – small villages where you are close to nature and away from the big cities and crowds!
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Hollywood, war, romance, and a German Old World Village

You would definitely like Mittenwald! Lots to do in and around the area – lots of hiking, lakes, mountains, castles, and more charming Bavarian villages. I would love to plop in this area for a bit and explore 🙂

17. Christopher says:

I love Mittenwald. The forest nearby was the unfortunate witness to my first attempts at cross-country skiing 14 years ago. Ganz schöne Bilder!
    Christopher recently posted..Expat Author Interview with Kate Brown

Thats a great story Christopher! I would love to visit during the winter. I can only imagine how beautiful it would be.

18. Senaf says:

I truly love Mittenwald. this is the little town where my parents were married in and that is the church that they said “I do” in. I went to Mittenwald on my honeymoon in 1972 and took a picture of the same view as I am looking at that picture of the church. I could feel really peaceful living there. As you can see..surrounded by the Alps..how much better can this get. Thanks for posting this Debbie!

Hi Senaf! I remember you telling me that earlier. In fact when I was in the church I was thinking about your parents and what a beautiful wedding it must have been! I would love to be married there. There isn’t much that is better than this 🙂

1. […] area I loved was Mittenwald Germany but my favorite part of my stay was the Goatherd Encounter along the Lautersee above […]