March 24, 2017

My 4 Best . . . Meals That Is!

Whether food is something you travel for or just something you enjoy while traveling, it is a necessary part of any day.  Personally I don’t usually travel for food but enjoy local cuisine while traveling although I’d travel to Germany just for some schnitzel 🙂

I know it may have looked like I only ate Goulash soup during my summer trip to Europe but I actually ate other things!  Today I’m sharing my favorites and I’m hungry already!

In no order, here are 4 meals that really stood out above the rest!

First is a lunch I devoured at Klosterbräu brewery in Bamberg.  After a morning of walking the streets of Bamberg’s Old Town I literally fell into my seat at Klosterbräu eagerly ready for some food and drink!Schnitzel at Klosterbrau Bamberg Germany

I can’t tell you how wonderful the Schnitzel Wiener Art mit Kartofellsalat und Salat was! The pork wiener schnitzel was cooked to perfection and the potato salad was scrumptious!  German green salads have been one of my favorites for many years.  I love the tender butter lettuce on top that is hiding little secrets like carrots, radishes and some kind of cured cabbage.  Delicious!

Next up is the wonderful dinner I enjoyed at Pfudel in Vienna.  From the English menu I ordered Veal Goulash with Gnocchi.  Imagine my surprised delight when the plate arrived layered with beautiful goulash on top of Spätzle and not gnocchi!!! You probably don’t want to get me started telling you about how much I adore Spätzle so I’ll just tell you they are tiny little flour dumplings that are wunderbar!  The picture I took was blurry (I think I was shaking in delight at the Spätzle!) so I can’t share with you this delightful meal 🙁 but will entice you with a picture I found of Spätzle.

Spatzle Tiny Little Dumplings

Spatzle by Kobako

Imagine these small little dumplings topped with thick red gravy full of tasty tender pork, veal or beef and the wonderful aroma of paprika! I accompanied the goulash with an absolutely wonderful glass of Grüner Veltliner wine.

One evening I wandered up to the Stiegl Keller in Salzburg.  The Keller is located at the base of the Mönchburg and is a bit of a walk up but the views, beer and food make it so worth it! For this meal I had an amazing pork chop with brown gravy, roast potatoes and green beans with bacon. I know it sounds like a basic meal and it was but, oh my god, it was so delicious!

Stiegl Keller sign Salzburg AustriaView from Stiegl Keller Salzburg Austria

Sadly, no pictures of this one either.  When I remembered to take a picture I looked down and my plate was already empty and I mean empty.  I devoured this meal!

I’m actually a little embarrassed to share this next “meal” with you.  To start, I’ll admit, yes I am a cheap date! Wandering Salzburg and not wanting to take the time to sit down and eat lunch I came upon Salzburger Imbiss Grill which is basically a fast food hot dog/sausage joint.  I ordered an “Original” Bosna which is grilled sausage with spicy mustard and grilled onions.  First bite and I knew I was in heaven. The grilled sausage was perfection.  The sausage was encased in white bread that was grilled on a type of Panini press which made it a little crunchy and equally heavenly.  Add in the accoutrements and you have a winning combination! This one didn’t last long either 🙂 and is the best “hot dog” I have ever had.Bosna from Salzburger Imbiss Grill Salzburg Austria

I highly recommend all of these wonderful meals but suggest you eat more regularly than I did so you can enjoy your meal and remember to actually take a picture!

What are some of your favorite meals you’ve had while traveling?

Comments

1. Leonel says:

This info is worth everyone’s attention. Where can I find out more?

webpage (Leonel)
    Leonel recently posted..Leonel

2. robin says:

I love my food so my favourite meals would be too numerous to mention, but outdoor meals in warm climates with family and friends rate very highly.

Good choices here! I love spaetzle too 🙂
    robin recently posted..Las Nubes

3. jenjenk says:

oh my gosh – i think stiegl-keller was where i had the best poured beer EVER!!! i love that place!!!!!!
    jenjenk recently posted..Nashville, TN: Not Just a Country Capital, but a Creative Cocktail Scene

I have to agree, Stiegl Keller is a place I will go to any time I am in Salzburg! I can still taste the pork chop I devoured 🙂

4. Food is one of the best parts of travel! I will always remember the giant blocks of feta cheese I ordered with every meal on the Greek islands.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Sugar Filled and Deep Fried Treats in Argentina

I know what you mean! I tend to get stuck on something good and then have it all the time until I move on 🙂

5. Sounds great!
    Central American food is rice and beans, or beans and rice and maybe a big of chicken.
    Plantains maybe added as a sweet.
    Would love some of that food here in Central America!
    Now you have me hungry!
    Cheers,
    John D. Wilson
    John D. Wilson recently posted..The dissing of Cuba and America’s changing policy

You really had a nice trip allround, didn’t you? It’s so easy to skip meals when travelling with limited time, isn’t it? The times I’ve had dinner from the minibar are embarrasingly numerous… one does get tired of the Toblerone/red wine combo 🙂
    Sophie recently posted..What to do on a Friday night in London if you’re time travelling

I did have a good trip! I hate to admit it because I absolutely hate eating US fast food while traveling but there was one night when I was too tired, too hungry and just plain cranky so I stopped by McDonald and brought dinner back to my hotel room 🙁

7. Your descriptions made my mouth water – now I need a snack!

One of my favorite meals was in New Orleans; we had incredibly moist fried chicken, amazing mashed potatoes, and bread pudding. Oh. my. word.
    Technosyncratic Travel recently posted..Drugs & Grunge: Another Side of Berlin

I know what you mean! As I was writing it my mouth was watering too 🙂 I love fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Comfort food, yum.

8. A chicken salad sandwich at the Victoria Falls Hotel in Zimbabwe. Best on the planet. It was just so yummy.
    adventureswithben recently posted..A Cute Photo of a South African Rock Dassie

I guess I wouldn’t have expected a chicken salad sandwich in Zimbabwe but I love chicken salad! It is funny how you can remember some of the meals and actually kind of taste them, huh?

9. I had fun trying to pronounce all of those names 🙂 And is that 2 hot dogs in a bun?
    jill- Jack and Jill Travel The World recently posted..Unwillingly stuck in Cusco – a minor tribute to Steve Job

HA HA anything with schnitzel is good with me! Yes there were two dogs tucked in 🙂 Wish I could have one right now!

Looks delicious. I have a hard time eating German food since I have a gluten allergy, but I love the 1/2 chickens (so tender and moist) and the potato salad in Germany, it tastes much different (better) than the bland stuff I’ve had in Canada.
    Laurel recently posted..Would you Want to Live in a Castle?

I love those chickens too! I don’t really like German potato salad in the states but this was divine 🙂

11. Marlys says:

Hmmm, I love hotdogs, but there’s something about the hotdog pictured here that makes me blush *^_^*
    Marlys recently posted..How Hostels Compare With Discount Hotels

12. inka says:

You certainly had your fill of the best of German/Austrian food. Did you know that sometimes in Gerany, they dress green salad with lemon juice and sugar? Tastes fabulous. And I love green beans with bacon too.
    inka recently posted..How I chickened out in Istanbul

1. […] looked at food, aperitifs and experienced European wine,  beer and beer […]

2. […] hearty Bavarian menu includes Ham knuckles, schnitzels, wursts, potato pancakes, spaetzle and, one of my favorites, Goulash […]