May 26, 2016

Innsbruck You Captivated Me!

In Cities that leaves you Bleh, I told you about my impression of Budapest.  I thought it was time I told you about a city that captivated me. . . Innsbruck!

What can I tell you about Innsbruck? It’s spectacularly beautiful.  It feels peaceful.  It feels comfortable.  It is surrounded by magnificent mountains.  It is full of tradition. It has culture. It has history.  It felt like home.

In short, I loved it!

Upon arriving in Innsbruck I felt like I had arrived at place I didn’t want to leave.

Mountain above Innsbruck Austria with snow

Mountains above Innsbruck

The beauty of Innsbruck starts with the mountains that ring this glorious city. Whether you are in the city or up on the mountain, every way you look is glistening with church spires, domes, beautifully painted houses and crooked narrow streets begging you to stroll.Innsbruck Austria in Altstadt

Innsbruck’s story back to medieval times and includes the dominant Hapsburg Empire. Emperor Maximillian I adored Innsbruck and it was the Hapsburg’s capital of Tirol.  Everywhere you look you can find remnants of the Hapsburgs from the Hofkirche, Goldenes Dachl, Hofberg (Imperial Palace) to Schloss Ambras.   The medieval center, the Altstadt, is perfect for strolling the winding narrow cobblestoned streets. If the boutiques don’t draw you in, the wonderful smelling bakeries or coffee shops certainly will!

Innsbruck Austria Arch

Innsbruck by Olivier Bruchez, on Flickr

This wonderful Austrian city also has its fair share of cultural activities including performing arts, orchestra, an opera house, art galleries and many museums.Innsbruck Austria view across River Inn

Innsbruck offers a city and location that is for those that enjoy the outdoors! Whether you like bike riding or mountain bike riding, walking or mountain climbing, rivers or lakes, driving trips or train trips, it is all waiting for you in Innsbruck. Oh and don’t forget about the multitude of winter activities in the area! Innsbruck did host the winter Olympics twice!  There is truly something for everyone all year round.

As I traveled around the city and to its outskirts I knew I would come back and explore in depth the city and  surroundings.  Somehow it fit like a glove.  This was a place I could stay. . . I think I could live here (as long as this California girl could get through the winter!).

Tell me about a city you immediately fell in love with.

Related posts:

1. Cool and Relaxed in Innsbruck
  2. 5 Reasons . . . to Visit Innsbruck
  3. Favorite European Travel Moments
  4. Gulaschsuppe, Gulyasleves or Goulash Soup
  5. Cities that leave you Bleh!

Comments

1. moving home says:

Is it me or somebody else too has the problem with rendering the website in safari?
    moving home recently posted..moving home

2. Kris says:

Good answer back in return of this issue with real arguments and explaining all concerning that.

web site (Kris)
    Kris recently posted..Kris

3. Beth says:

Yeah! Actually say that Innsbruck is a lovely metropolis! I visited it back again in 2004. I have fell in enjoy with several cities more than the several years but I guess my all time favorite metropolis is Moscow adopted by a quite modest small city known as Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. It is difficult to choose.

4. The two cities for me are Prague and Buenos Aires.

5. robin says:

Granada would be my choice and bizarrely, Cairo. It’s great to have a place that you love and I don’t think cities can be beaten.
    robin recently posted..Return of K

6. Michael says:

It was a very charming town, no doubt.
    Michael recently posted..Easy Hiker – 1 Of The BEST New Travel Blogs In 2011!

7. gabby says:

This is truly an amazing place to visit! As an adventurous person, I am captured by the foggy mountains. I hope one day I can visit this place. Thanks for sharing this to us. Love it!
    gabby recently posted..Simple Facts About The Pearl Arowana of Australia You Should Know

8. jenjenk says:

how gorgeous!! i’ve never been before!!
    jenjenk recently posted..Cappadocia, Turkey: Kelebek Cave Hotel

9. I don’t know if there’s really a city I have fallen in love with. It’s mainly countries I enjoy – South Africa.
    adventureswithben recently posted..Introducing, the adventures with ben Travel Newsletter!

10. I just can’t get past those mountains – they’re lovely! I think any city with a view like that would get my vote. :)
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Monthly Travel Costs: October 2011 (Berlin)

11. Renee King says:

Absolutely magical! I’ve been intrigued with this city since it hosted the Olympics the year I graduated high school in 1976. The pictures are beautiful, Debbie!
    Renee King recently posted..The Newbie’s Guide to renting a car at the airport

It is special and I really want to go back and explore the things I missed as well as the countryside :)

12. Nelieta says:

Innsbruck is a beautiful city! I visited it back in 2004. I have fell in love with many cities over the years but I guess my all time favourite city is Moscow followed by a very small little town called Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay. It is difficult to choose :)
    Nelieta recently posted..YouTube Tuesday!

It is hard to choose. Innsbruck just had an immediate impression on me! I really want to visit Moscow.

1. [...] in love with because there was a heat wave and it was air conditioned refrigerated, Grauer Baer Innsbruck! I would stay at this property again because it was very convenient to Old Town and train [...]

2. [...] a new ruler or even a death of one.  The arches can represent a happy occasion or a sad one but in Innsbruck the triumphal arch actually commemorates [...]

3. [...] before the Travel Bloggers Unite conference got started.  As I roamed and wandered this city that captivated me, I noticed a large gathering of people under the Goldenes Dachl or Golden [...]

4. [...] tomb in the world (the first being in Xian) which is located in the Hofkirche (Court Church) in Innsbruck. from [...]