November 25, 2017

The Bizarre World of Swarovski

Swarovski Kristallwelten is a place you just have to see to believe!

Before leaving for Europe, I knew I wanted to visit Swarovski Kristallwelten while in Innsbruck Austria.

I’ll admit I am a huge fan of jewels and have spent a fair amount of time visiting the crown jewels in more than one city! So it was with great anticipation that I set out to discover more about crystal making and to feast my eyes on some beautiful gems! I was expecting a display much like the gems section of the National History Museum in Washington DC or the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London or even the Bavarian Crown Jewels housed in the Treasury of the Residenz in Munich Germany .

Crown from India by googlisti, on Flickr

Boy was I wrong!

On my first day, I hopped on the bus to the Crystal World in Wattens, which is about a 20 minute ride from Innsbruck.

The grounds of the Swarovski Kristallwelten are beautiful and include a very nice park with playground equipment for children plus awesome views.  Upon arriving you will be greeted by a giant complete with crystal eyes and a waterfall flowing out its mouth.Giant at Swarovski Innsbruck Austria

Swarovski Crystal World is free with the Innsbruck Card, so I was able to pass through the turnstiles entering the giant’s world and embark on my journey through the universe of crystals.

Instead of a grand display I found flying mannequins, strange art, legs suspended from a device while tap dancing and a mechanical theater hosting a very strange fashion show. I actually felt that I was in the middle of a Tim Burton movie! The displays and art were created or inspired by artists including Brian Eno and Andy Warhol, which should have been my first hint that this was notgoing to be what I was expecting.

Cone head dress Swarovski Innsbruck Austria

To be fair, not all of the sculptures, jewelry, dresses and other crystal inspired exhibitions were strange.  Some were actually quite beautiful.Octopus Swarovski Innsbruck AustriaBeautiful Horse Swarovski Innsbruck AustriaChandelier Swarovski Innsbruck Austria

What you will find at Swarovski Kirstallwelten is a mixture of art, music and magic that is supposed to trigger all your senses.  If you like modern art, this may be the place for you.  To me it was just bizarre.

Is Swarovski Kristallwelten a place you would like to visit?

Comments

1. Looks good, looking forward to more sharing

2. tallinna says:

These jeweleries seems to be amazing, like to have that kind of red hat someday when shoveling the snow in my yard 🙂

3. Pat says:

As an avid collector of Swarovski Crystal figurines and the owner of a worldwide website devoted to Swarovski Crystal collectors for the past 12 1/2 years, I can tell you that visiting Innsbruck, Wattens (Swarovski Kristallwelten/Crystal World) is an awesome experience. It is nothing short of Fabulous! And if you like to shop, this is the place to be…..

I’m sure there are many people out there who appreciate Swarovski Crystal World more than I did! I do really like their jewelry and figurines. They are very sparkly!

4. Anji says:

Interesting! I dont know why i thought it would have a much more classical touch.

5. Wow, looks amazing. I’m heading to Innsbruck in a few weeks and will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing!

6. I love bizarre art, and bizarre art made from crystals sounds even better! This looks like a really cool museum… and I don’t say that often. 😉

7. This is cool–especially the giant. I’m not much of a shopper, so probably would not have thought to visit this place. Thanks for the idea!
    50+ and on the Run recently posted..Smoking in Xi’an

I didn’t visit to shop, there is actually a Swarovski shop in downtown Innsbruck. I went there to learn about crystals and gaze at amazing pieces of art!

8. Oh yes I’d be fascinated by this!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Photo Teaser #18: Name that city

9. I didn’t even know this place existed! When I was in Vienna, I bought some Swarovski jewelry. To this day, it is my go-to stuff when I want to dress up…. although not while backpacking of course 🙂
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Foto of the Week from …. Buenos Aires

I would not have associated Tim Burton with Swarovski – now I really want to go!
    Laurel recently posted..Kaese Spaetzle: German Mac and Cheese

11. Denise says:

Then you should be at the Zurich mainstation at advent time. When they set up the Christmas market, they also put up a giant christmas tree decorated in hundreds (if not thousands) of Swarovski crystals.
    Denise recently posted..England’s Top 5 Country Cottage Holidays

12. inka says:

What a question??? Would I like to visit? YEEEESSSS. NOWWWW. I love glitz, I love art, I love bizarre, so this is better than any museum.
    inka recently posted..Lightning does strike twice- 2nd earthquake in Van/Turkey

13. Some of those mannequins are quite strange… but it looks like the place is really cool and that it has some beautiful pieces.
    Norbert | GloboTreks recently posted..Dabuyaba: Sacred Garifuna Architecture

14. jenjenk says:

I like the bling! 🙂
    jenjenk recently posted..Istanbul, Turkey: Istanbul Eats Old City Food Tour

15. Yes! It looks very Austin Powers-ish.
    adventureswithben recently posted..Calgary Airport (YYC): One of the Best Arrival Halls in the World

16. That isn’t what I would have expected either, but it does sound very interesting. Although I enjoy seeing fabulous jewels, the modern art aspect makes it even more appealing to me.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..High in New York

In reading some of your posts I know you do like modern art, so this might just be the thing for you!

1. […] spent time in castles, feasted our eyes on jewels, taken drives and just dreamed. Cesky Krumlov Castle by […]

2. […] Bedazzling travel bucket list – The Bizarre World of […]