May 28, 2016

Armored Schloss Ambras

Sitting a little above Innsbruck is Schloss Ambras, one of the historic sights in Innsbruck that is best known for its Renaissance art collection and gallery full of Hapsburg family portraits.

Austrian history is deeply seated with the Hapsburg Empire. Sitting on the land now occupied by Ambras was a medieval fortress.  Upon being named ruler of Tirol, Ferdinand had the fortress renovated to a Renaissance castle for his commoner wife, Philippine Welser.  Archduke Ferdinand II used the castle as his residence from 1563-1595.

Today Schloss Ambras is a very popular sight when visiting Innsbruck.  One afternoon, with my Innsbruck Card in hand, I took the bus to visit the castle. What I found were beautiful grounds, hiking trails, magnificent art and stunning Hapsburg portraits.

But my favorite was the collection of armor Ferdinand amassed.Armored Army Schloss Ambras Innsbruck AustriaArmored riders Schloss Ambras Innsbruck AustriaArmor and Weapons Schloss Ambras Innsbruck AustriaJousting Schloss Ambras Innsbruck Austria

These pictures are part of Travel Photo Thursday!  For more great pictures,make sure to check out Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there!

Related posts:

1. 5 Reasons . . . to Visit Innsbruck
  2. Innsbruck You Captivated Me!
  3. Cool and Relaxed in Innsbruck
  4. The Bizarre World of Swarovski
  5. Sleeping like a King in Austria

Comments

1. It reminds me of all the armour in the Hohensalzburg fortress in Salzburg – they really loved their armour in those days – what a status symbol but must have been such a pain to wear!

I find armor interesting too! I can’t imagine actually fighting in the armor. Besides being heavy and hot it must have been really tough to move around in.

Can’t imagine fighting in one of these. And can’t believe I missed this while in Innsbruck. Next time…

3. Great shots, Debbie! I love the jousters. :)

4. lanzones56 says:

These are great to look at, but I’d NEVER want to wear one!! :P
    lanzones56 recently posted..paleo diet

5. Jim says:

Imagine wearing all that to go fight a battle.
    Those suits of armour look quite short. Did you think wearers in those days were shorter than today?
    Jim recently posted..This Moment: Fri 11th Nov.

6. These are great to look at, but I’d NEVER want to wear one!! :P
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Prague Castle’s “Changing of the Guard”

7. Violet says:

those are cool! my nephew love those stuff, but i hope we have this historic sights in our town to visit to.
    Violet recently posted..How To Improve Fertility

I’ve never seen an armor collection quite like that, looks like a reason to visit the schloss in itself.
    Laurel recently posted..Kaese Spaetzle: German Mac and Cheese

9. Michael says:

Ah, I knew every lady is just waiting for their Knight in Shining Armour!
    Michael recently posted..A Brioche And Easy Hiking In Compiegne

10. I have an obsession with armored suits! Every time I see one I want to put it on, though I’ve never done it… ha! Looks like a pretty cool place!
    Norbert | GloboTreks recently posted..Making Chocolate Like The Mayas Used To

Did you hike any of the trails???

Can’t imagine wearing that armour but interesting shots.
    Leigh recently posted..Don’t Rock Ronda: A Photo Essay

No I didn’t have the time to hike any of the trails plus I didn’t know they were there. I will do so on my next visit though :) It would be rough to walk in armor but it would be kind of fun to try it on!

12. Interesting history. Quite an impressive collection of armor at Schloss Ambras. Reminds me of the armor and weapons collection at the Tower of London.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..High in New York

Ooh I don’t remember seeing those but will make a point to do so on my next visit. I really enjoyed the French Army Museum at the Hotel des Invalides in Paris. They also have quite a display of armor.

13. Denise says:

must admit I’m not really into this sort of thing!
    Denise recently posted..England’s Top 5 Country Cottage Holidays

I find armor interesting when you think that they actually fought in these contraptions! Plus it is amazing the metal work they did back then.

1. [...] many weapons, uniforms and other war materials and weapons which includes an amazing display of armor used throughout the eons. Soldiers watching [...]

2. [...] and can’t wait to go back to explore the city more before stretching into the surrounding area.  Armored Schloss Ambras, The Bizarre World of Swarovski and Worlds 2nd Largest Tomb is in Innsbruck are just a few of the [...]