February 21, 2017

Nagy: A Hungarian Hero in Budapest

There are a lot of statues in Budapest.  One day I was roaming around and stumbled upon this very unique statue.

Even though I didn’t know who it was, I was really drawn to it. The setting is actually very beautiful and I was drawn to the look on his face.

This is Imre Nagy who was Prime Minister of Hungary twice.  Even though he was a communist he promoted a “new course” in socialism which caused him to fall out of favor with the Russians.  They fired him but he was put in place again by public demand during the 1956 revolt against Soviet imposed policies.Imre Nagy statue in Budapest Hungary

His reformist ideas meant that his new government was not supported by the Russians and when the revolt failed, Nagy was captured and eventually executed for treason.

Despite his political agreement with Communism, his role in the Hungarian Revolt of 1956 brought him admiration among  Hungarians and he died a martyr.

His name was not allowed to be uttered after the revolt but once the communists were expelled, he was buried as a hero and this statue was built in 1996.

For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.
Every Thursday they post new photos from their travels and invite others to join in!

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. You’re so interesting! I do not think I’ve read through a single thing like
    this before. So nice to discover another person with some
    original thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. thanks for
    starting this up. This site is something that is required on the internet,
    someone with a little originality!
    klinika psychoterapii bydgoszcz recently posted..klinika psychoterapii bydgoszcz

2. Alicia says:

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog
    that’s equally educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.

I am very happy I found this in my search for something concerning
    this.

web page [Alicia]
    Alicia recently posted..Alicia

3. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday.
    It’s always helpful to read content from other authors and practice something from other
    sites.
    turtle wax products recently posted..turtle wax products

4. Nancie says:

Great shot and an interesting story.

5. Arti says:

Beautiful statue. Also thanks for the story behind the person. Never heard of him before.
    Thanks for sharing:)

6. Great photo indeed! And the place is really unusual, but perfect!

7. Cool photo….I like the reflection of the bridge’s underside in the water. 🙂

8. jenjenk says:

darn – another one that i missed! 🙁

This monument to Nagy is one of my favourites, as well. Interesting – symbolically – that he faces Parliament.

10. Muza-chan says:

Beautiful photo 🙂

11. what a great statue to be up there on the bridge. really looks interesting. seems like he’s in such deep thoughts 🙂

12. What a great statue. Deep in thought – thinking of his predecessors?

13. Interesting story and statue. Wonderful tribute to the man remembered by all for so many years — even though his name couldn’t be spoken.

The fact that they revere him confused me at first. I mean he was a communist but just not as strict, which I guess is better than nothing!

14. Very interesting statue. I like the placement on the bridge — the symbolic connection between his communist and socialist stance.

15. Denise says:

very pretty. It reminds me of the statues in Bratislava about ‘men at work’

16. Easy Hiker says:

Very interesting statue. Was the bridge part of the statue or is the bridge a real bridge?

Very interesting story. I like the location of the statue too.

I really like statues, but I think I never take enough time to actually find out all the details and backstory. Thanks for sharing! It’s beautiful!