February 23, 2018

Bamberg Germany and Little Venice

It’s Travel Photo Thursday again and today I’m sharing a few pictures of a beautiful town in Germany – Bamberg.

Located in northern Bavaria, Bamberg is known as a charming town that if full of picturesque views at almost every turn.   Even though I don’t think Bamberg is visited by many Americans touring Germany, I wonder how many people recognize it by it’s city hall which is located in the middle of the river!!Bamberg Town Hall Bavaria Germany

To say this Unesco World Heritage city is gorgeous would be an understatement.  Situated along the Regnitz River and the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal, this Beer City has many reasons to visit.

It’s not hard to find amazing views along the river but one of the more splendid areas is known as Klein Venedig or Little Venice.Little Venice Bamberg Bavaria Germany

Little Venice is a row of fishermen houses dating from the 19th century.  I’m not sure where the comparison to Venice comes from but it is striking.  Do you see a resemblance to Venice?
Little Venice Bamberg Bavaria Germany

The Regnitz river is a grand frame to these small half-timbered houses which are indeed very picturesque.

Maybe including gondola reminds us of  Venice!

Gondola along Canal Bamberg Bavaria Germany

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.  For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Agree with says:

I think this is one of the most significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site style
    is great, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers
    Agree with recently posted..Agree with

That picture of the house on the river is too cool. Looks amazing!
    Sabrina recently posted..German Ads Against Discrimination

3. Wow that is a stunning little place indeed. You know what? I’ve never been to Germany. I can’t believe this judging my all the rave reviews I here about it and from photos like this.

Where have I been all my life?

Beautiful photos. I haven’t been to Bamberg yet, but have a friend from there who has volunteered to play tour guide for a day, can’t wait, it looks gorgeous!
    Laurel recently posted..My Best of Travel 2011

5. Jenna says:

How cute! There is so much to see in Germany. I’m always surprised by places like this that I’ve never even heard of.

6. RyukyuMike says:

One of these days, I’ll have to pack my bags and visit. Wait’ll it gets warm enough for flip flops!

You definitely need to visit Germany, Bavaria and Bamberg! Summer is warm enough although they do get some summer rain.

7. Wow…another stop on our Bavarian tour my friend!!! Your pictures ignite the wanderlust coursing through my veins…Must get to Bamberg too!!

HA HA yup Bamberg is worth a stop for sure! It is different than the villages near the mountains in the south but unique and fun in it’s own right.

8. Gary Cox says:

I think the Venice link is conceptual rather than visual — There are several central waterways, so people sometimes get around on boats. (Like St. Petersburg, Russia, which is also compared with Venice, but has a different physical look.) So travel writers (like us — ha ha) call it that, and an enterprising businessperson offers a “gondolier”! Whatever you call it, the city is splendid. The look is pure Bavaria — part half-timbered, part Baroque, both parts equally stunning. Go in the summer and climb the hill (not steep) to the archbishop’s Residenz to see its magnificent Baroque rose garden, and a nice city panorama. While you’re there, try the roasted-stuffed onion specialty with a stein of smoked beer (Rauchbier, bacon flavored).

Oh those crazy travel writers! Bamberg is indeed splendid. I did walk up to the Residenz and the views are well worth it! I wasn’t sure I would like the Rauchbier but actually really enjoyed it. Next time I’ll make sure to track down the onion 🙂

9. I’m longing to visit Bavaria and Bamberg looks like a wonderful little town to see. Love those houses along the river.

Bamberg is very beautiful and a great place to spend a few days. If you like beer, you will be in beer heaven 🙂

10. jade says:

MUST. GET. TO. GERMANY. NOW!!! haha, great photos- total wanderlust inspiration!

11. What wonderful pictures! I have always longed to visit Bavaria and what a charming city Bamberg seems to be. (adding it to my list of places to see) I love how the city hall is situated and built. Cruising down that river looks like a great way to see the city.

12. Sonja says:

I’ve spent so much time in Bavaria but have never visited Bamberg! Next time!

It’s up in Northern Bavaria and I just don’t think most Americans get out of the Munich area! Lots to do up near Bamberg.

13. How pretty! I love half-timbered houses. 🙂

(I think something’s wrong with your CommentLuv…. it says this version is no longer supported.)

14. Denise says:

you really love Germany, don’t you? If you had to pick your favourite European country, would it be it?

I do and would say yes Germany is my favorite. However, it is hard to pick a favorite because then all the amazing other places I’ve been come popping up! I am drawn to Germany though 🙂

15. Bamberg is definitely and worth adding to my list. Wonder how the City Hall building got located in the middle of the river.

Legend says the people weren’t allowed to build their city hall on land so they built it in the middle of the river which wasn’t owned by the bishop.

Looks like a very pretty town and well worth a visit. Does it get cold enough for the river to freeze?

1. […] Walking down the hill to town was as beautiful as the trip up!  Now it was time for my first beer in Bamberg.  […]