July 31, 2016

Early One Morning in Innsbruck

One morning while I was in Innsbruck I decided to go for a walk before the Travel Bloggers Unite conference got started.  As I roamed and wandered this city that captivated me, I noticed a large gathering of people under the Goldenes Dachl or Golden Roof.Under the Golden Roof Innsbruck Austria

As I came closer I noticed a group of men and women dressed in traditional clothing.  At first they were milling around but eventually got lined up in a military fashion.Milling around Innsbruck Austria

The men carried rifles and sabers whileInnsbruck Austria Unexpected Event

Most of the women seem to be carrying small barrels that must be full of liquid libation!Innsbruck Austria waitng for Inspection

Even though I had not clue what was going on, I did stop and watch as it progressed for a few minutes.

The flag the men are holding says “Zur erinnerung an das Gründungsfest” and I have no idea what the meaning is.  I thought it would be some kind of festival but when I translated it online I got “In Remembrance of the Foundation Laid.”  Whatever that means!?!  If anyone knows please let me know in your comment below!Innsbruck Austria Gathering

I couldn’t stay very long but this unexpected “event” was one of the special highlights Innsbruck offered me! Seeing locals in traditional clothing always brings a smile to my face even more so when they seem to be enjoying every minute!

I highly recommend early morning wandering!

What surprises have you run into during an early morning walk?

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.  For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Related posts:

1. Innsbruck You Captivated Me!
  2. 5 Reasons . . . to Visit Innsbruck
  3. Cool and Relaxed in Innsbruck
  4. Worlds 2nd Largest Tomb is in Innsbruck!
  5. Favorite European Travel Moments

Comments

1. Pretty! TҺіs աas an incredibly wonderful post. Ӎаny thɑnks for supplying tɦis info.
    dailyranking.org recently posted..dailyranking.org

2. Theapod.com says:

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that
    automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I’ve been looking
    for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything.

I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your
    new updates.
    Theapod.com recently posted..Theapod.com

3. seo advice says:

Article writikng is also a fun, if you be
    acquainted with after that you cann write if not it is
    complex to write.
    seo advice recently posted..seo advice

4. Elise Walsh says:

You really couldn’t do anything but watch. This is such an awesome thing to wake up to. Good pics!
    Elise Walsh recently posted..Your Vacation is Whatever & Wherever You Want it to Be

5. Melanie Hunt says:

I am not the happiest of travellers but I do enjoy meeting people of different cultures. Tank for sharing!

6. Lina says:

I wish to express some thanks to you.
    An attention-grabbing discussion is worth comment. I am sure there are many more fun moments up front for individuals that see your blog.
    I really wanted to type a simple comment to be able to express gratitude to you for these splendid solutions you are giving out on this website.
    Lina recently posted..hopes are high

7. Tana says:

I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, I really want to watch this kind of event..Thank you for sharing and Have a Bless Day!!!
    Tana recently posted..Payment Protection Insurance

8. CasandraHenrich says:

Every time I travel I want to wake up early and watch the sunrise..I want to experience this kind of festival..I am sure is really enjoy..
    CasandraHenrich recently posted..Local search seo Abernant

9. Carla says:

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a nice evening!
    Carla recently posted..sincere review

10. Cynthia says:

You had a great travelling..I am starting to get up earlier to enjoy sunrises and more!Thanks for sharing with us..
    Cynthia recently posted..South West Spas

Hm… where have I seen that place before…? ;)

I did an early morning photo session of Innsbruck – such excellent light. Missed the founding-party, though, so it must have been another morning…
    Sophie recently posted..A to Z of Sophie’s World

12. Awesome! They seem to be having a blast. And they sure gave you some neat photos to share. That was nice of them.
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Featured Friday: The Macabre Jewelry of Fun, Funky, Warm & Fuzzy

13. In Juayuya, El Salvador, I arrived for their annual week-long celebration. Normally they are known for a food festival on the weekends, but this was a full-on party all week long. There were huge stages set up with international musicians playing.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Foto of the Week from … Perito Moreno Glacier in Black and White

14. jenjenk says:

my favorite thing was walking in paris in the early morning. I found peace. :)
    jenjenk recently posted..Photo Friday: Japanese Wedding Couple in Traditional Dress

I agree, walking early morning in Paris is amazing! One time I came across the Paris marathon. It was great running into it.

15. inka says:

Ha,ha, you aren’t that far off with your translation. Gründungsfest is the celebration of the founding of the city and Erinnerung is indeed ‘remembrance,’.
    inka recently posted..Köfte,lentil soup and soft pillows in Antalya

Thanks Inka! Guess this means it was a small remembrance of the founding of Innsbruck. I would have thought that would be a bigger event. Either way, it was a great thing to stumble upon.

16. What an unexpected find. Whatever they were celebrating sure sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I’m not a morning person and one of these days I really should do a morning walk. Hopefully, I’ll be greeted with a pleasant surprise.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Visiting Old Mission Santa Barbara

17. It’s always fun to come across these unexpected events and performances. Wish I could help you out with the translation — would be interesting to know.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Crossing the Vltava: Prague

You did good with your translation! :) I’m amazed at how many festivals and parades are in Europe. My favorite was stumbling upon a May Day Festival, something I wasn’t familiar with until I moved to Germany.
    Laurel recently posted..Walking in a Winter Wonderland in the German Alps

19. What a treat, eh Debbie? I also love getting up early but mostly to watch the sunrise. I can’t remember stumbling on to anything as spectacular. Wish I knew what that meant….
    Insidejourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Jamaican Orchids

20. We were in DC over the summer and paid a visit to Arlington Cemetery. I’ve been several times before, but what made this one different was we explored some of the less traveled areas of the grounds, and in doing so stumbled across a funeral in progress. It sounds a bit morbid, but it was incredibly moving hearing the 21 gun salute, and Taps breaking the morning air…
    The World of Deej recently posted..A Misadventure at the Las Vegas Sport Book

They’re a handsome lot aren’t they. And I agree – getting up with the birds can lead to many a pleasant surprise.
    Leigh recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: What Cold Looks Like in Calgary

It sure does! Usually when traveling I like to sleep in a bit but now I am starting to get up earlier to enjoy sunrises and more!

22. I love stumbling upon unexpected events, traditions, and festivals when I’m traveling.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..2011 Travel Year in Review from A to Z