May 29, 2017

Cahors ~ A French Gem

I’m sure when you think of France grand and romantic images pop in your mind!  There is a large part of France that is relatively unvisited, at least by US travelers.  I have had the fortune to visit some these less discovered areas. The French Basque region, Biarritz and St. Jean de Luz come to mind.

Today for Travel Photo Thursday I’m sharing a few pictures I took while visiting another undiscovered French gem, the Lot department in Southwest France.  We were specifically in and near medieval Cahors which is the capital of the region.  Cahors history dates back to Celtic times and besides the remains of a Roman Amphitheater offers a cathedral, wine museum and markets.Valentre Bridge Cahors France

The symbol of the town is the Valentre Bridge which dates back to 1308.  This bridge is a well used part of the Santiago de Compostela pilgrim trail.  Other villages in the area that are part of this trail include Rocamadour.

But today Cahors is possibly best known for its wine known as “The Black Wine”.Chateau de Mercues Lot region Cahors France

Since wine is an important part of the region you may want to stop for some wine tasting.  One wine estate that offers tasting is Chateau de Haute-Serre which is in the 13th century Chateau de Mercues. Besides wine the chateau is also a luxury hotel.Chateau de Mercues view Cahors France

Even in the haze, the surroundings are impressive!Lot region Cahors France

Truffles and walnuts are two items Cahors is also known for.  The walnuts make a great liqueur and you may want to enjoy Fenelon, a local aperitif made from local red wine, cassis and the wonderful local walnut liqueur!

The Lot and Cahors are a small part of the Midi-Pyrenees region in France and one of the areas I would like to explore in much more detail.

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.  For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Ryder says:

o Direct the caller to check the printer display menu
    to see if it says “offline. Each print job will generate some files on your “C:
    \Windows\System32\Spool\Printers” folder and if this files are not deleted automatically by the system, at one point, your hard drive might become full and there will be no more space to queue any print jobs. Tracking and Analytics tools like Google Analytics gives valuable feedback such as which articles have got maximum viewership, their geographical location, time they spent on the page etc.
    Ryder recently posted..Ryder

2. Lovejoy says:

This place is very interesting..I want to visit this..I am sure chocolates are really delicious..Thanks for sharing some photo..
    Lovejoy recently posted..Winterising Your Spa Or Hot Tub

3. robin says:

Black Wine – there’s something to add to my drink-it-before-you-die list!
    robin recently posted..Real Estate

4. I’d be interested in seeing this part of France. A nice off the beaten path suggestion!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Photo Teaser #23: Colors on the wall

5. Jenna says:

Beautiful place, and that bridge!. France is one of the places in Europe I first fell in love with back in my teens but I haven’t been there in ages.
    Jenna recently posted..The Colors of California

I’ve heard of Black Wine, but never tried it. Can’t think why not… Love the bridge, too.
    Sophie recently posted..Warsaw’s Jewish cemetery: a memorial to a cruel past

7. Such a lovely town! I love those old structures and I would really really enjoy boating in the river! (Dropping by from the Budget Travelers Sandbox Travel Photo Thursday)
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..Things You Need To Know Before Going on a Solo Road Trip

I’m with Inka, but I’m curious as to why the wine is called “black wine”?
    Laurel recently posted..The Bavarian Dish I Will Not Be Trying

9. What moody, evocative pictures. I tend to give up on hazy days, but you got a prize-winning shot on that foggy day.
    Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday Venice Doors and Windows

Thanks Vera! I’m such a novice at photography that I don’t know enough to not take pictures on hazy days 🙂

10. inka says:

Truffles, walnuts, castles, bridges!! Cahors, you are now on my list next time I’m in France.
    inka recently posted..Art Deco masterpieces in Istanbul

11. More great pictures would love to travel as much as you do
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Fantastic Westcott live photo shoot at Photoshop World

12. Black wine? Chateaux? Cool bridges? You’ve covered it all!! 🙂
    Raymond @ Man On The Lam recently posted..Travel Photo of the Week: The Most Graphic Toilet Sign Ever

13. What a gem of a place. Love the bridge and the chateau.
    Thanks for sharing this, Debbie.
    Insidejourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: My Ship Has Come In

14. For once it’s not the food in a post that grabbed my attention (which truly is a shocker) but that bridge. AMAZING!
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Using Photos and Videos To Show 13 Things You Can Learn by Traveling to Haunted Places

I’ve never been there. Love the bridge in the first shot, really medieval!
    Sabrina recently posted..Texas Horned Toad Pictures

16. Cahors looks great and the Chateau de Mercues looks like a lovely place to do some wine tasting. I haven’t been to southwest France, but I long to go there.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..A Quieter Side of Prague

There are a lot of lesser known regions in France that have fantastic wine. It would be great exploring the region more!

17. Katherina says:

Truffles and walnuts…? I have the feeling I’d love Cahors!! Beautiful pictures!
    Katherina recently posted..Photo Essay: The Glacier and The Lagoon (Chile)

18. You had me at truffles, walnut and black wine =) What a charming town and I would love to visit this region of France someday. The bridge and castle look like they belong in one of those fairy tale villages.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Our Venice Acqua Alta Experience

19. Very interesting! I’ve always wanted to visit this region of France.
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Where in the world am I? (#21)

20. Dick Jordan says:

A fellow living in my town just across the Golden Gate Bridge north from San Francisco made a walnut liqueur in the French style. It was quite tasty.
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Barbie, Barbie, Where Art Thou?

Thats interesting! I have read it is fairly easy to make liqueurs, just have not got around to it yet.

I spent some time biking through this wonderful region. One day we happened on an old walnut mill – where they peeled the walnuts by hand and then pressed them into delicious oil. And they covered some of the walnuts with delicious chocolate.
    Your photos bring back great memories of one of our best biking trips. Loved Rocamadour too – even if it is touristy.
    Leigh recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Shooting Calgary at Night

What a wonderful memory! I don’t think I’ve ever had chocolate covered walnuts but I’d be willing to try a few 🙂

1. […] few years ago I was able to spend a few days in the Midi-Pyrénées region of France, specifically Cahors and Rocamadour.  I remember being amazed at the beauty of my surroundings as we drove through the […]