April 21, 2014

A Photo Essay on European Statues

Oh the places you go and the characters you’ll meet while traveling!

Besides being works of art, history can be experienced through the statues or monuments dotting a city or village.  Through them we come to know who or what was important to the citizens.

Here are a few of the statues and monuments I stumbled upon while visiting Europe last summer.

Neptune Statue Bamberg Bavaria Germany

A great meeting place in Bamberg Germany is the Neptune statue locally called Gabelmann.  Standing near the Gruner Markt in the pedestrian only area of Bamberg, the statue is also a popular place to enjoy an afternoon ice cream.Matthias Klotz Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

This homage to Mittenwald’s native son, Mathias Klotz, indicates the important role he played in the village.  Mittenwald is a picturesque village nestled up against the mountains in southern Bavaria that is known for its violin and string instrument manufacturing.  It was Mathias Klotz who brought this esteem to his home town which continues to this day.Statue near Inn River Innsbruck Austria

I ran into these little guys while exploring Innsbruck Austria.  While they sit near the river Inn, I never did find out what this statue represents but it did intrigue me.  To me they look like they are sneaking into the city.  Are they just having fun or about to engage in something more nefarious?Water Statue Mirabell Gardens Salzburg Austria

The beautiful Mirabell Gardens should not be missed on any visit to Salzburg Austria.  Besides the amazing flowers, fountains and gardens Mirabell is home to equally impressive statues.  Some are whimsical and others depict history and lore.  One of these is this statue by Ottavio Mosto representing water through the abduction of Helen by Paris which in turn started the Trojan War.By Virtue and Example Statue Vienna Austria

With the little time I had in Vienna, I decided to spend it exploring the Imperial Apartments and Sisi Museum at the Hofburg.  Finding the extra large Hofburg was not a problem but finding the Sisi Museum took a bit more effort.  Wandering I passed many architectural delights and an abundance of statues.  Finally I arrived at Michaelsplatz and the entrance to the museum.  I found this lovely statue waiting for me.  The motto below means “By Virtue and Example”.Kossuth Memorial Budapest Hungary

In Budapest, the Kossuth Memorial sits near the Hungarian Parliament honoring a man who was a prominent figure in the War of Independence from 1848-1849 and later became President of Hungary.  In this national symbol Kossuth can be seen pointing towards a brighter future.  Alas, it was many years before Hungary’s future became brighter.

“Oh, the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!”  Dr. Seuss

Tell me about some of the interesting characters you have run into while traveling.

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.  For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Related posts:

1. Favorite European Travel Moments
  2. A Year at European Travelista
  3. Cities that leave you Bleh!
  4. My Travel ABC’s
  5. Travel Photo Thursday-Lautersee

Comments

1. Raye Grimm says:

Such a great collection of statues! There are so many statues in European cities.
    Raye Grimm recently posted..career organizing

I remember those two sneaky, little guys in Innsbruck. Fun statue, that. :)
    Sophie recently posted..No more: The natural bridge of Aruba

3. Divina says:

There so many great statue in the world and some of the best statues is in Europe. Statues are full of history and in some country statue is one their tourist attraction. I think one of the most visited statue in the world is the Statue of Liberty in New York U.S.A. You have a great collection of photos of statues from your travel. Thanks for sharing.
    Divina recently posted..Happy New Year To All Of You And Hope You Like The Aquarium Fish Photos Here …

I agree with you – there are a lot of very interesting and moving statues in the world! I have enjoyed the Statue of Liberty many times. She is an awe inspiring sight.

4. Catwoman says:

Such a great collection of statues! The hungarian Kossuth-memorial is nice, but there are much more beautiful statues in Hungary. Have you seen the bicycle-sculpture moving in the middle of the Danube-river? It was next to the Parliament I think.
    Catwoman recently posted..fogszabályozás

I love statues, but I wish there was a sign posted with more info on them, so often you see an interesting statue, but it’s hard to find out anything about it since there’s not even a name on it.
    Laurel recently posted..Toboganning on Germany’s Longest Toboggan Run

I couldn’t agree with you more! There are many pictures I have of statues that I have no clue what they are or why they are important. Google has been very helpful figuring some of them out though :)

6. Mint_G. says:

Wow! I think its great to visit that wonderful place of Europe, Especially that different statues.
    Mint_G. recently posted..Chamonix Accommodation

7. Europe has some of the best and most interesting statues and I like your selection here. I really like the Mittenwald statue with the fresco in the background. Thanks for sharing!
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Strolling Balboa Park

Thanks Mary! Mittenwald was very beautiful! The setting and painted buildings combine to make one impressive sight.

8. There are so many statues in European cities. I don’t think I’ve seen any of these.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Foto of the Week from … El Chalten – A Pretty Farewell

9. Muza-chan says:

Interesting article :)
    Muza-chan recently posted..Mamemaki, the bean throwing festival, in a Tokyo Metro mosaic

10. I love looking at monuments. They’re like little history lessons. Love photographing them too.
    Insidejourneys recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Dig In!

I agree. They give you a little glimpse into the history of the city or country. Some are easier to figure out than others.

11. Dick Jordan says:

Thanks for these. Salzburg is the only one of these places that I’ve visited.
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Share Your “Love Lost or Found on the Road” Story

12. It’s hard for me to resist stopping to look at and photograph statues. I feel that if I pass one by, I’ll miss out on some interesting piece of history or local culture. Nice selection of statues from your travels.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..The View from Tien Hou

Thanks Cathy! It is fun seeing all the different statues and learning more about why they are important.

13. inka says:

Like you I’m always on the look out for interesting statues, preferably of local ‘celebrities’. They tellindeed a lot about the place you happen to visit.
    inka recently posted..Love is in the air…St. Valentine

1. [...] traveling we all visit monuments erected to honor those who have helped shape our history, but sometimes it is the world’s Natural [...]