December 14, 2017

Bucket List – European Style

Ah, the infamous Bucket List.  When Michael from EasyHiker asked me to share my “Bucket List” I was, honestly, a little overwhelmed.  Yes, overwhelmed because my list is quite large and I’m sure you don’t want to spend that much time reading this post.  How to cut it down?  Instead of sharing countries or cities I’d most like to visit I whittled it down to some European adventures I’d most like to enjoy.

In no particular order, here is a sampling of my Bucket List – European Style!

While thinking about my Bucket List, I realized I’ve actually shared quite a few of these already.  In Springtime Yearnings I shared my desire to Hike in Black Forest, Canoe along the Dordogne plus bike and taste wine near the Moselle River in Germany.  Italy’s South Tirol is still one of the places I would most like to visit.  The Dolomites are just too dramatic and picturesque to not see in person.

Here are more European adventures I’d most like to enjoy:

Bastille Day in Paris

Sharing this day of celebration with the Parisians would be fabulous.  I can only imagine the pageantry of the military parade down the Champs Elysees and the beauty of the fireworks with the Eiffel Tower as their back drop.

Bastille Day Fireworks Eiffel Tower Paris France

Bastille Day Fireworks by Lauren

Oktoberfest

Let’s see, I love Bavaria, Munich is one of my favorite cities and, in my opinion, beer is a food group.  So why wouldn’t I need to experience the Granddaddy of all beer festivals?  One thing I wouldn’t miss is the opening day parade. I hope they still roll barrels of beer down the street!

Cruising the Greek Isles

A lot of folks cruise the Greek Isles and while I want to join their ranks, I want to rent my own sail boat so we can steer our ship around the Aegean as we wish!  Enjoying the blue water, culture, sunsets and ruins while reliving mythology from the bows of our own little boat seems quite luxurious.

Samos Greece in Aegean Sea

Samos Pe-Sa

German Christmas Markets

About 2 months ago I shared one of my fondest birthday wishes in All I Want For My Birthday.  At this point in time, I can’t imagine a better way to celebrate my birthday than being in Germany visiting some of the magical Christmas markets!  Gluhwein, German trinkets and beer. . . need I say more?

Viennese Ball

Gliding and twirling across a dance floor at one of the amazing balls during Imperial Ball season in Vienna is one of things this girl dreams of.   Of course, I’ll be dressed to the nines in a full length formal gown complete with gloves and I will float across the dance floor thanks to those dance lessons I desperately need to take!

Ball Vienna Austria

Ball by moritz.schmaltz, on Flickr

Live in Europe
One of my fondest dreams is to live in Europe for at least 3 months.  I want to experience the culture and history that Europe offers.  I haven’t figured out where I would spend my time but I have a feeling a lot of it would be spent in some little Bavarian village!

Wachau Valley Danube River Austria

Wachau by jay8085, on Flickr

Somewhere along the way I will also stay in a Castle or Chateaux, enjoy a Tapas Crawl in Spain and wine taste in the Wachau Valley!

Well those are a few of the items that have made it to my European Bucket List.

Tell us a few of the items that have made it to your list!

Comments

1. In questo articolo scoprirai quali sono le trigger dei denti gialli e
    cosa fare per sbiancare i denti velocemente a
    casa con metodi naturali.
    Sbiancamentodenti.obolog.com recently posted..Sbiancamentodenti.obolog.com

I so want to go to a Viennese Ball and can even do the Viennese Waltz – well sort of. If you’re ever here for Oktoberfest let me know and I can teach you some Bavarian folk songs 🙂
    Laurel recently posted..Igloo Village – The Coolest Village On Earth?

Another kindred spirit! I’d love to learn more Bavarian folk songs. Singing along is such good fun 🙂

3. drenouch says:

If I would have the opportunity to really meet my bucket list then I would pick visiting Rome and Greece. I love mythological stories. It will be romantic also to witness fireworks in Venice Italy.

I too love mythology! It is another one of those subjects that didn’t interest me in school that I now find interesting.

4. Ayngelina says:

I like your approach to the list. I spent Bastille Day in St.Malo when I was 16 and it is one of my favourite travel memories.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Food Friday: Pave

I can only imagine. St Malo would be a great spot to enjoy the festivities too. A small village feel to the celebration would be nice.

5. Alyssa says:

The photos you have here are really awesome!Thank you for the post, as well…
    Alyssa recently posted..Office Tower 3: 531sqm/5716sqft Immediate

… and you could head up here to see the Northern Lights 🙂
    Sophie recently posted..Scenes from a Bahraini mall – empty elegance

7. Maegan87 says:

Thanks for the list because there are a lot of people who are interested with this…

8. Like Michael, I was in Paris for Bastille day in 1995 too. Not with him though — we didn’t know each other back then. 🙂

I’d love to get to Octoberfest one day and go to La Tomatina!
    Raymond @ Man On The Lam recently posted..Shysters, Shams, and Bangkok Scams

Oh maybe you guys ran into each other and didn’t know it! That would be freaky. Oktoberfest is a must and La Tomatina sounds like a hoot.

That’s a great list! I would love to do some of the things on your list as well. I did Bastille Day in Paris one year… ten years ago I think… and it was beautiful! The best fireworks I have ever seen right above the Eiffel Tower. So beautiful! I hope you make it there one year.
    Sabrina recently posted..Workout on the Road: Running

10. Debbie, I do believe we’re kindred travel spirits. Except for the Viennese Ball, which I did not know about, your list is all things I’d have on my Bucket List, European style or not! I just recently read about Christmas markets. (This past holiday season, in fact, when we were in Turkey.) Would LOVE to visit some. And the Black Forest? OH MAN! Now that would be too exciting. GREAT list!
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..New Books Added to the Queue: ‘In the Footsteps of Dracula’ and ‘Nightfall’

11. The Mont St. Michel! You have to see that one.
    adventureswithben recently posted..What To Expect On Your First Liveaboard Dive Trip

Mont St Michel is amazing! I was amazed at how far away you could see it. I do need to spend more time in that area though.

That’s quite a list – and that’s just for Europe. In Europe I’d like to hike in the Dolomites but it might be a lot of years before that happens.
    I’d have to pass on the ball too – hate getting dressed up and I have two left feet.
    Leigh recently posted..Photo Essay: Inspired by Arizona’s Desert Scenery

13. Great list, Debbie! I’d be up for all of these. I actually was in Paris for Bastille Day back in 1995, my first time to Europe. It was amazing—you’ll love it! A couple things on my European Bucket list are to hot air balloon over the Loire Valley and see the running of the bulls in Pamplona. 🙂
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Reasons to Choose a Cruise

14. inka says:

No 1 on my European bucket list is attending the Fasnacht in Basel/Switzerland whcih in fact I will do in 2 weeks time. Stay tuned for my stories.
    inka recently posted..How writing about it has changed the way I travel

15. Mary says:

Wow this is a great list! I would love to dance at a ball too.

16. Apart from the Viennese Ball (I don’t do long dresses) I wouldn’t mind joining you on all of those, Debbie!

For my bucket list I would like to visit Northern Thailand and Vietnam, go on a hike (in good weather) in the north of Scotland, and do a really long tour of Iceland (hoping to get in a short visit later this year.)

Hope you get to do some of yours this year.
    Julie McNamee recently posted..Neon Boneyard, Las Vegas

1. […] Much to my chagrin, my “job” dictates the time I have for travel.  We all saw in my post title Bucket List – European Style, I have quite a few items on my list of European dreams so this year I will cross at least one off […]