May 30, 2017

Decision Time: France or German?!?

At this point in my life, for better or worse, my travels are limited to vacations throughout the year.  Much to my chagrin, my “job” dictates the time I have for travel.  We all saw in my post title Bucket List – European Style, I have quite a few items on my list of European dreams so this year I will cross at least one off the list.

Loire Valley France Wildflower

Wildflowers 1 by celesteh, on Flickr

In looking at our calendars for the year, we only have 10 – 14 days for our “vacation”.  In talking, the hubby and I really want something a bit on the active side and have boiled it down to two options: either bike riding in the Loire Valley with some time at either end spent in Paris OR hiking in the Black Forest combined with driving, hiking and/or biking in the Alsace Wine region.

Upper Black Forest Views Germany

Upper Black Forest by GNTB: DZT/Honeck

Oooh even as I am reading my choices I get excited and unable to pick one!

Colmar Alsace Region France

Colmar Alsace Region by Calips

Neither of us has been to the Loire Valley and would really enjoy spending time riding along the river, stopping for wine, enjoying a picnic lunch in some idyllic spot, seeing castles, learning about the history, visiting the small French villages. . .  Plus it has been a couple years since I’ve been to Paris and there are some sights I have not visited and more I’d like to revisit.

Blois Park Loire Valley France

Blois Park by celesteh, on Flickr

Germany is one of my favorite places and one that pulls at my heart and always calls to me, so why should this year be any different? Wanderin ohne Gepack (Hiking without Luggage) has been something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time.  Add in cuckoo clocks, tradition, farm houses, lakes, forests, beautiful villages, history, great food, wine, beer and schnapps; well  you’ve created something that is just plain hard to resist! After all that,  we would cross into France and spend a few days wandering through more small, beautiful villages sampling Alsatian wine and  maybe even spend a day or so riding bikes or walking through the vineyards!

Black Forest Germany Tradition

Black Forest Tradition from Baden-Württemberg, Tourismus Marketing GmbH

So my dilemma is deciding which option to enjoy this year?

Azay Le Rideau Loire Valley France

Azay Le Rideau by Ranvig

I’ve got more work to do and will share what I discover about each region that leads us to make this decision.  Until then, tell us. . .

How you decide where to visit on your vacation?

Comments

1. Robbie says:

It is easy for me because I have been to Germany, so I will choose France if I want to travel next time. I always want to feel the romance of France. And Gremany also is a fantanstic place. I think you will be happy no matter which one you choose finally.

2. I vote for Alsace of course but only because I have seen the Loire Valley. Go for either one of those and you won’t be disappointed…I can guarantee it!!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..Postcards from the Loire Valley in France

Sometimes these decisions are so tough! Think I’m leaning towards spending time in the Black Forest and Alsace. I get to see 2 countries too!

3. Denise says:

mmmm. I’m not keen on either France or Germany to be honest (though I love Berlin), so can’t be of much help. Have you decided yet?
    Denise recently posted..Picture Perfect: Temple of Literature, Hanoi, Vietnam

I think you are the first person I’ve heard that doesn’t like France or Germany! I’m leaning towards the Black Forest and Alsace. It would be a two for one 🙂

I haven’t been to the Loire, but I LOVE the Black Forest and had done a lot of hiking there. Besides being beautiful, there are a ton of castle ruins there as well, which you often have to yourself. I like the idea of combining the Black Forest with Alsace, then you get both France and Germany.
    Laurel recently posted..Salvador Dali – My New Neighbor

5. Arline says:

Traveling is a kind of thing that full of fun and adventure, but I want a kind of traveling together with my family to gain a unique experience and capture every happy hour…

6. Andrew says:

The Black Forest and all of Germany is pretty coo, though I am a bit partial to it, living there.

The Loire is definitely a thing to see. I would suggest going during the “growing” season. I went in February years ago and although good, was not the best. None of the gardens were awake, just kind of green stubble.
    Andrew recently posted..Steam Engine on an Island : Kingston Flyer

I love Germany too! I’ll make sure to take your advice on timing in the Loire. It would be a disappointment to miss the beautiful gardens.

7. inka says:

Very difficult indeed, but I’d go for the Black Forest and Alsace. In fact, I’m going to Basel this weekend and will make a forray into Alsace.
    inka recently posted..All about ‘glamping’ in Naxos/Greece

8. jade says:

Oh goodness… do both?! I just came back from Spain and met several people from Germany, so Germany is high on my list now.
    jade recently posted..Animal Obsession inside Dali’s House in Cadaques, Spain

9. Well, Debbie, I thought I knew where you were leading when I read about France, then I read about Germany. Whew, it’s a hard decision. Both have their charms. Which does your husband prefer?

10. Frances says:

This place is one of my dream I want visit this someday..Thank you for sharing those beautiful photo..
    Frances recently posted..Insurance Options

11. Christopher says:

We travel to Alsace at least two or three times a year. Our favorite village is Eguisheim (near Colmar). It’s a round Roman village with a quaint square and great wine. There’s nothing like the smell of macaroons fresh from the oven.
    Christopher recently posted..Five Things to Love about Bilbao/Bilbo

Thanks for the tip Christopher! I will definitely stop by Equisheim if we go. After reading about the macaroons, I’m sure my husband will make a bee line there since they are some of his favorites 🙂

12. Such a difficult decision. I say flip a coin!
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Beware the Sex-Crazed Troll in Chiloe

13. Clarice says:

Wow! I know that you have gather a lot of happy moments, this coming summer vacation we are plan to have like this…

14. Nicole Schuman says:

I’m really fascinated by Europe. But for me, i’d rather go to France. Paris specifically because I really want to experience the City of Love. 🙂 Great shots, anyway..

15. EurotripTips says:

I am lucky enough to be based in Europe and not far from most of the sights I’m interested in, but it’s still hard to pick from time to time. I usually try to look at the prices and actitvities, and see what’s doable from there. But in the end, I know one option will always have my heart and I usually end up picking this one.

(But if I were you I would pick Alsace, haha)

16. I think you should just do all of that, Debbie. ;o)

I agree but, unfortunately, I will only be able to make one area this year. The other will definitely stay on my list!

17. GelliAnnh says:

I love traveling and I think I will love this too…Thanks a lot!
    GelliAnnh recently posted..Overcome Anxiety

1. Freddom Mentor reviews…

Decision Time: France or German?!? | European Travelista…