July 25, 2014

European Travelista’s 7 Super Shots!

I have been enjoying reading everyone’s entries to HostelBookers 7 Super Shots!  As I don’t consider myself a good photographer I was secretly glad that I hadn’t been asked to participate.

Then it happened. . .

Both Sabrina from Country Skipper and Courtney of Haunt Jaunts asked me to participate.  Feeling good to be included, I now had to find some photographs that were worthy of the project.

I started by thinking what photos represent.  Photos keep our memories fresh and alive. All it takes is a glimpse and we are whisked back to that very day experiencing that trip, event or the fun as if we were there now.  The photos we take are snapshots of our life.

After getting over my initial angst, I wandered through my memories and found some photographs that represent each of the categories.

Here is a photo . . .

. . . that takes my breath away

It is no secret that I love mountains, lakes and small villages.  While I find them all remarkable in their own way, Gruyeres Switzerland just took my breath away.Bucolic Gruyeres Switzerland

. . . that makes me laugh or smile

I actually had a little trouble with this one but then it dawned on me that the one that made me smile every time was this shot taken on my very first trip to Europe.  In fact, this one is a lot of “firsts”.  My first time to Europe, Germany, Bavaria, Munich.  I smile each time I see this much younger me sitting by a lake in the Englischer Garten and, yes, I’m enjoying my first beer in Munich.

Englischer Garten Munich Germany

Enjoying a beer in Englisher Garten's Munich

. . . that makes me dream

This shot of the French Basque countryside makes me dream about all of the less traveled, peaceful places I have been and will go to.

Basque vista Southwest France

Basque Hills

. . . that makes me think

Looking down on the way up the Jungfraujoch is a tremendous sight!  This lovely village nestled at the foot of the mountain makes me think about how amazing Mother Nature is. . . The beauty of Switzerland isn’t too shabby either :) On the way up Jungfraujoch Interlaken Switzerland

. . . that makes my mouth water

As I look at this picture my mouth is literally watering.  I can still feel the relief as I sat down at this table at Klosterbrau Brewery in Bamberg Germany.  I can also remember how ravenous I was and how wonderful this schnitzel, potato salad, green salad and beer tasted!Schnitzel at Klosterbrau Bamberg Germany

. . . that tells a story

Visiting the D-day beaches in Normandy is a must see. This photo, taken at the American cemetery, tells the story of all the Americans that died during WWII.  More than that, it tells the story of all the lives lost from all countries involved.American Cemetery Normandy France

. . . that I’m most proud of

Gothic Royaumont Abbey gets the distinction of being my National Geographic moment!  The lovely Abbey and its grounds are a serene respite to busy Paris.Gothic Royaumount Abbey near Paris France

Now its my turn to nominate 5 bloggers to participate:

Eurotravelogue

EasyHiker

To Europe with Kids

This is My Happiness

Downtown Traveler

Rules

1. Choose a photo for each of the 7 categories above.
  2. Write a short description for each image.
  3. Write somewhere in your blog post: I am taking part in HostelBookers 7 Super Shots.
  4. Tell HostelBookers that you have participated and tweet the hashtag #7SuperShots

Nominate 5 other bloggers by including a link to their blog in your post.

No related posts.

Comments

1. Love the photo with the beer! That’s how Germany should be. You know how I feel about the mountains in Europe so the Jungfrau shot is awesome. I actually like some of your other photos better but a lot of great pictures.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Bograč Festival – bringing cultures together through Slovenian food

2. Well I cannot help but comment on the picture from Bamberg of course! I am glad you liked your Schnitzel. My, makes me homesick. And hungry!
    Great shots!
    Christina (Jandal Road) recently posted..My 7 Super Shots: New Zealand, Japan and China

I didn’t like my schnitzel, I absolutely LOVED it!!! In fact, I wish I was having some right now :)

3. Vi says:

schnitzel…mmm…
    Vi recently posted..Swimming with whale sharks: when, where and tour prices

4. Sandra92 says:

This is truly amazing, traveling at Europe is beautiful….
    Sandra92 recently posted..Unlock iPhone 4

5. Fabulous photos! I particularly love the Basque Hills…those clouds are breathtaking, and such lush green grass!
    Jess @UsedYorkCity recently posted..The Munch Gallery Presents The Work Of Frodo Mikkelsen

6. Heidi19 says:

Great shots Debbie! i love the way you captured those pictures. Thanks for sharing this to us and i’m looking forward to see more of your beautiful collection of photos.

I am so glad you enjoyed the photos I shared! It really helps to get feedback on the pictures since I was so apprehensive of this project.

7. Red Nomad OZ says:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one to be a little apprehensive about participating in this project – but your thoughts about what the photos actually represent are so true!! A reader thoughtfully emailed me with an ‘enhanced’ version of my sunset shot – which made me question my photographic credentials! But then I remembered I take photos firstly for me – to trigger memories of my travels; then for others who are interested in where I’ve been, what I’ve seen and what I’ve done! Taking pix for other photographers isn’t even on my radar!! Thanx for sharing your beautiful memories – you could be an honorary Aussie with a beer THAT big!!!
    Red Nomad OZ recently posted..7 Super Shots!

I don’t think we are the only ones that were a bit apprehensive about this one! It is a tough line we have as bloggers. We want pictures for us but we also want our readers to appreciate the locations. I’d be glad to be an honorary Aussie :)

8. Katherina says:

Oh I love the pic of you having your first beer… it’s so sweet!
    Katherina recently posted..April Dare: Stop Planning My Free Time

9. Jessa Kate says:

What a lovely shot, how I wish I spent a kind of travel like that…

10. Karyn18 says:

Wow! This are all beautiful, even the cemetery was captured beautifully. Thanks for sharing this magnificent photos here. I know you have really enjoyed your stay here.
    Karyn18 recently posted..About Hand Dyed Wool

11. Locsin says:

Great shot! I do love these travel photo collection…

12. Kathrryn says:

Those are really beautiful Deb! I am sure a lot of people will be very excited about visiting these places..
    Kathrryn recently posted..Hotel Paignton

13. Mhikkai says:

Hi Deb.. That, really makes me water.. That kind of food is what i am always looking for at home.. I love the shots to be honest..

14. Rochelle says:

I cant wait to see the some photo from your tour..Hope you had a great experience there..

15. Lovely shots Debbie. I really like the Swiss mountain picture. Also, I keep looking at that pic with the beer in your hand. It’s been a while since I had some good beer!
    David @ Malaysia Asia recently posted..Songkran 2012 Pictures

16. Florence18Moore says:

Europe is simply amazing, this is the perfect place for a great fun with the whole family….
    Florence18Moore recently posted..3 Ways To Make Money Online With Web Hosting

17. Claire says:

Absolutely love the photo of the village below the mountain. Reminds me of a scene from a movie or the cover of a postcard. Nice shots.

18. Vincent says:

Stunning pics Debbie! Ilove the one you took in Normandy showing the American cemetery. It really strikes me as it doesn’t look like a cemetery but as a peaceful place.

19. Liz says:

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photo. Looking forward for more pictures to post. GREAT POST.

20. Wonderful selection of photos, Debbie! They’re all great. I love the Switzerland photo and your vintage photo of you. I guess this is Super Shots week =)

21. Elise Walsh says:

Wow, what great memories :) It must have been so hard to pick photos that tell a story. I can only imagine how many pictures you have to choose from, but at least you got to relive a lot of memories.
    Elise Walsh recently posted..Cheap Hotels In Destin, Florida

It was hard to pick pictures for this project. You’re right, though, I did get to relive a lot of awesome memories!

22. Carmen says:

I like the pictures you’ve posted. Nice selection, hope to see more of your great photos. Thanks for sharing with us your experience.

23. I like the photo of Jungfraujoch, the icy mountain tops is such a contrast with the green fields below =)
    Annie – FootTracker recently posted..2012 San Francisco May Festivals & Events Extravaganza

24. LOL! See? It was meant to be when you get double-nominated. I’m blown away to read you don’t think you’re a good photographer. One of the things I love about your blog is the pics you share of the amazing places you feature!!! That’s why you popped to mind for me to pass this on to. Your photos are fantastic in this one too. I LOVE the one of you enjoying your 1st European beer. You look radiant and so happy. And the Normandy one had me breathe a moment of silence. And I want you to come here to capture this one valley near my home. I think you could do it justice with your lens. The one with the mtn rising about the small village? And the photo that takes you breath away? Both of those took my breath away. SO glad you participated. Very awesome shares!
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Most Haunted Locations: Rate Your State

25. cathy says:

The first photo was awesome.the place was beautiful and refreshing.I want to visit that place.
    cathy recently posted..The Methods To Lessen The Oil Change Cost

26. And you think you don’t take good photographs, Debbie?
    These are all NatGeo worthy!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Weekly Photo Challenge: Journey

27. Carol says:

I love to take photos too. it captures all the great and precious memories. and I will able to show those pictures to the coming generation of our family.
    Carol recently posted..check this place

28. Ayngelina stole my comment! I will also add that I love that they serve beers as big as your head.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..My Luxury Vacation at Viñas de Cafayate Wine Resort

29. Charissa says:

I really like the place you’ve posted. I think that will be my next destination for vacation.
    Charissa recently posted..Seasonal Allergy Symptoms – What to Expect?

30. Liz says:

Jungfraujoch is pretty much adorable. I like the scenery of the village down side of the mountain. It was a perfect view.

31. LOVE the Jungfrau shot! Oh to be there, and that’s what photography is about isn’t it?
    Thanks Debbie,you’ve made me realise my faux pas. I did the 7 shots but didn’t connect to Hostelbookers. Back I go to do it now, thanks, then I’ll come back and check out your nominees.

The Jungfrau was an incredible journey and one I recommend (if you have a clear day). The Alps are so beautiful and Big!

32. robin says:

Wonderful shots Debbie – you visit such beautiful places :)
    robin recently posted..Granada

33. Ayngelina says:

I love the photo of you and the beer, you look like a model in a vintage beer poster.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Have you met Cory?

34. You had me at Switzerland! Love the selection — great photos. Switzerland, Bavaria, ahhh how I long to go back :(
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..Why you won’t want to miss Arequipa’s Monasterio de Santa Catalina

35. Sonja says:

Oh my, I better get on it!! Thanks for nominating me. I love your Switzerland pics – so beautiful. (I might copy you and post a picture of me drinking my first beer in Germany too!)
    Sonja recently posted..Movie Monday: Night Train to Lisbon

I’m looking forward to seeing your 7 Best! Switzerland is very beautiful. I’ll look for that picture :)

These are beautiful! Your National Geographic shot especially! And the smile shot made me smile as well :) Love a good Biergarten! Now, is there any chance we could transport your Schnitzel there as well?
    Sabrina recently posted..Weird Food Names and a Great Lunch in London

37. Great selection of photos, Debbie. I’m smiling along with you in that Munich pic and my mouth is watering over the schnitzel and potato salad. Well done in all categories!