July 27, 2017

Off the Beaten Path in Rostock Germany

Germany offers a lot for any traveler.  Unfortunately most of us only touch on a few destinations of this wonderful country – Munich, the Castles of Ludwig, Bavaria, Berlin and the Rhine river garner most of our travel dollars.  I’m as guilty as any and this is one of the reasons I’ve decided to dig into other parts of Germany and see what they can offer us travelers.

After I saw a few pictures of Rostock, I decided to Go North and explore this Baltic area.

Hanse Sail Rostock Germany

Hanse Sail © Lutz Zimmermann

Rostock was once one of the most powerful trading centers in Europe.  Today it is a more quiet and peaceful location offering unique architecture, coastal scenery, wonderful beaches and a maritime history that will fascinate us all!

In Rostock you will discover churches, gabled houses, town gates, a Fisherman’s bastion complete with canons, an astronomical clock and red brick building dating back to Hanseatic times!

Alter Strom river Rostock Germany

Alter Strom River © Angelika Heim

Here are 4 great reasons we all should spend time in Rostock –
Germany’s “Gateway to the North”!

Architecture

Eight hundred years of history are preserved in Rostock’s gabled houses, brick warehouses, town gates and churches.  Of the important medieval and Renaissance buildings, the Hausbaum House dates back to 1490.  Other architectural beauties, many of which date back to the same era, include the Marienkirche (don’t miss the astronomic clock), Petrikirche (climb the tower for views of town and Baltic) and the Rathaus.  These are some of the buildings created using the deep red bricks characterizing the Gothic Brick style of architecture famous in Northern Germany.  Wander Rostock and you’ll find many more fine examples.

Brick Gothic House Rostock Germany

Brick Gothic House © HHoG/Mayerer

Maritime History

Founded by maritime traders in 1218, it is no wonder Rostock holds on to its nautical atmosphere.  A great place to learn about the maritime and shipbuilding history of Rostock is at the Maritime Museum.  This unique museum is situated on a ship that is moored on the Warnow River opposite the port of Rostock.  Not only will you find exhibits detailing shipping history but you will also discover sea plane construction and marine research.  There is also an open area portion of the museum where you can see a floating crane and other items dealing with the shipping business.

Waterfront Harbor Rostock Germany

Waterfront Harbor © Nordlicht

Hanse Sail Festival

The 2nd weekend of August brings fully rigged ships, schooners, cogs, cutters, steamboats, the ice-breaker “Stettin” and “Waltman” the tugboat to Rostock for the annual Hanse Sail Festival.  This festival is one of the largest maritime festivals in the world and will be any maritime history buff’s definition of nirvana!  Visitors are also able to view water-skiing demonstrations, rowing regattas and have the opportunity to actually sail on some of these wonders! If you need a break from the maritime themed events, enjoy the markets or fireworks.  The festival closes with a ship parade of nations.

Hanse Sail Beach Rostock Germany

Hanse Sail Beach © Nordlicht

Beaches

In 1323, Rostock purchased nearby Warnemünde to ensure it would have free access by water to the Baltic.  Today, this is where you will find a long stretch of beautiful white sand beach and a 19th century lighthouse.  This old fisherman port is a great place to wander the streets looking for local food or just a nice respite from sunbathing.  If you’re looking for a beach town with a laid back small town charm, Warnemünde is it.

Lighthouse Rostock Warnemunde Germany

Lighthouse Rostock Warnemunde© Tourismusverband Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

I’d love to hear about your experience in Rostock!

Comments

1. Tarsha says:

My partner and I stumbled over here different internet site and believed I ought to check items out.

2. Great post, I love hearing about all the unique not so commercial places to go. Thank you for sharing!
    Sara Chukoian @Green Global Travel recently posted..NORWAY: A Rare Look Inside 900-Year-Old Urnes Stave Church

3. Mariella says:

Rostock is gooorgeous!!! (imagine that in an involuntarily high-pitched weird voice – I get excited when someone wants to visit places like these!)
    Mariella recently posted..Being German and the Issue of Patriotism

Rostock is not on the normal tourist track for Americans 🙁 Sad but true and something I hope to change!

4. Lisa says:

Debbie, this is the first place on the water I visited in Germany. I have very sweet memories of walking on the beach in October and enjoying the architecture of the city. It is an enjoyable trip.
    Lisa recently posted..Tajikistan Tea Room in Berlin

5. Nelson says:

We are going there next week. I will share to you my experience and some pictures guys! excited 🙂
    Nelson recently posted..Kitchen islands

6. Donna Hull says:

On my very first cruise, the ship stopped at Rostock. I remember that there was a summer fair going on at the Pier and the city was very walkable. I’d love to go back again.
    Donna Hull recently posted..Sponsor introduction: Small Luxury Hotels of the World

7. Kevin McCloy says:

Oh, I love Germany, I had a business trip a year ago and I want to go back for leisure. I wasn’t able to visit its beaches. I heard their beaches are magnificent.
    Kevin McCloy recently posted..4 Chic Ways to Celebrate Earth Day

I have only been to Southern Germany but need to get to the north! I know you’ll love it once you get the chance to visit.

8. Christina says:

The Sail Festival looks like fun! I’ve only been to Rostock to take the ferry to Helsinki. I guess it has more to offer than that!!
    Christina recently posted..Discovering Vancouver: Cycling in Stanley Park

I would love to be in Rostock during the Sail Festival! I already spotted my place on the sand 🙂

I haven’t made it to Rostock yet but I love the harbor cities in northern Germany.
    Laurel recently posted..Rome Coliseum: Day or Night?

10. Jennifer says:

I like the photos you’ve shared. Thanks a lot.. Looking forward for more exciting travel.

11. Goody says:

I’d already heard about Rostock but nvere read something about or watched a picture.I didn’t expected it to be so nice and packed with so many interesting attractions! Therefore your pics are stunning!!

12. Elise Walsh says:

Wow, very cool place to really visit. There are so many other wonderful places besides the large cities Thanks for sharing this 🙂
    Elise Walsh recently posted..Top Five Places to Visit in Belgium by Train

13. I would love to visit Germany soon and I love these off the beaten path places. Haven’t heard of Rostock but would totally want to visit based on these pictures and all the interesting architecture.

I love unexpectedly coming onto an off the beaten path place. They usually have a lot of charm to them and are a great addition to the larger cities.

14. Kazzsandra says:

Hi Debbie.. Seems Germany is really a nice place and I hope when I get there, I can see those places personally.. Thanks for providing them..

15. Jaime says:

Hello there, just become alert to your weblog through Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate in case you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

I can say that I’ve heard of Rostock but I knew absolutely nothing about it. You’re right Debbie – other places in Germany deserve some love and attention. What a beautiful town and being there for the Hanse Sail Festival would be great fun.
    Leigh recently posted..The Delights of Paddling to Cumberland Island, Georgia

I would love to be there for the Hanse Festival too! It would be great to have a chance to ride on one of the tall ships 🙂

17. I must have skipped the day we talked about Rostock in history class. What a great city, and nice how they celebrate their maritime history…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..The Villas at Grand Cypress Resort

18. Ayngelina says:

I love seaside towns, there is something about their culture by the water that always makes them stand out.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Where have all the farmers gone?

Agreed! It does add another dimension to them plus they do seem to have such a history attached due to their accessibility.

19. Wow, some of these shots look straight out of the 1400s. Nice pics!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Why I won’t visit museums that don’t allow photography

20. Lisa M says:

Wow – interesting place and great photos! I’ve never been to the Baltic area – looks like a fascinating place.

21. I love that you saw a photo and just went to see it and learn about it.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..How to Stay Fit on a Diet of Goat Cheese and Wine in Cafayate

Back when I worked as a gov´t negotiator, we had annual bilateral negotiations with the German government. One year the German invited us for meetings in Graal-Muritz and take us for an outing to Rostock. Lovely city. With lots of amber for sale.
    Sophie recently posted..Looe and Polperro: two Cornish villages

23. inka says:

I’ve never made it beyond Kiel, but I know about Rostock’s history. Fabulous report and pictures. I just love to read about the lesser known parts of any country.
    inka recently posted..My favorite Turkish dishes

I don’t think I have visited a less traveled spot that I did not fall in love with! Nothing against the well known spots but the unfound gems are the best.

24. I absolutely love Germany — and those sailboats at the beach are perfect! Probably not the typical scene people image when they hear Germany, but an important part of the country, nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..The best guinea pig we’ve ever tasted …

I know Germany has some ocean front real estate but never would have guessed it would be warm enough to be on! So yes, I’d agree that is not the typical vision of Germany people have.

25. I spotted Rostock on a map when I was in Hamburg and thought about heading that way, but I ran out of time. Would be fun to be there when all those beautiful sail boats are there.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Mystery, History and CuriOdyssey

I would love to be sitting on that beach as the boats came sailing by! I can only imagine how beautiful it is.

26. Although I plan to be in Germany this fall, one of my projects is to see more of the North Sea/Baltic coastline. It should not be surprising Rostock and Warnemünde are similar, respectively, to Lübeck and Travemünde, the latter two which I have visited a few years ago. I’ve not been to Rostock; so your post is good tasty grist for the mill 🙂

Thanks for your post and photos!
    fotoeins | Henry recently posted..Food tally, 1st-quarter 2012

27. I have never heard of this place, but I TOTALLY dig what I see! I like what Carol had to say: It’s love at first sight!
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Top 10 Ghost Caught on Surveillance Camera Videos

28. Carol says:

Wow! Those pictures are very nice and great shot!!!i instantly fall inlove with the place!

1. […] discovering the city of Rostock Germany, I was struck by a few interesting fountains and one […]