September 25, 2017

5 Guiding Lights of Europe!

For years Lighthouses have been protecting ships as they navigate our shorelines.  With lamps shining bright, they guide captains past treacherous rocks, reefs and coastlines offering safe passage or entry into port.

Let’s take a look at some of Europe’s many guiding lights!

Finisterre Lighthouse

This lighthouse is located on a rocky peninsula on the west coast of Spain.  The coast in this area is known as the “Death Coast” and has been the location of many shipwrecks making the lighthouse even more important!  The lighthouse was built in 1853 and sits 138 meters above sea level.  Finisterre is also a well known pilgrimage site.

Finisterre Lighthouse Spain

Finisterre Lighthouse by Yellow.Cat, on Flickr

Cordouan Lighthouse

This beautiful lighthouse located on the Atlantic coast of France, sits at the mouth of the Gironde River near the coast of Medoc. This still active lighthouse is the 10th tallest traditional lighthouse in the world and is located about 7 km from the coast.  Construction on the Cordouan Lighthouse began in 1584 and was completed in 1611.  The lighthouse can be seen for miles both day and night.  Next time you’re in the area, you might want to visit this amazing site!

Cordouan Lighthouse France

By Thibault Grouas

Lindau Lighthouse

Yes, even lakes need lighthouses!  This very photogenic lighthouse guards the entrance to Lindau Harbor on Lake Constance deep in Southern Germany.  Sitting on the border with Switzerland this magnificent lighthouse was built in 1853 where it still sits waiting for you to visit.

Lindau Lighthouse Lake Constance Germany

By Taxiarchos228

Dover Lighthouse

Nestled on the grounds of medieval Dover Castle in the English countryside is this beautiful Roman lighthouse.  The Romans actually built two lighthouses but this is the only one still standing and today it is the tallest Roman ruin in Britain.  In its heyday, there was an open flame on the top that guided ships into the harbor.

Dover Roman Lighthouse England

The Roman Lighthouse by Mark Abel, on Flickr

Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse

Located on the North Sea in northern Denmark, the Rubjerg Knude lighthouse started lighting the way in 1900. Even though the lighthouse sits 60 meters above sea level, the shifting seas and winds have blown sand up the cliff until the light couldn’t be seen from the sea.  It was at this point on August 1, 1968 that the lighthouse ceased operation.

Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse Denmark

© Tester12345 de.wikipedia.org

What European Lighthouses have you seen?

Comments

1. Terveys says:

Just love the light houses around the world! There’s not enough of them where I live.
    Terveys recently posted..D-Vitamiinin Historia

2. I searched for the article title and found this, great read
    icom two way radio earpiece recently posted..icom two way radio earpiece

3. domain says:

It’s actually a nice and useful piece of info.
    I’m happy that you simply shared this useful information with us.
    Please stay us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
    domain recently posted..domain

4. Excellent post! We are linking to this great content on our site.

Keep up the good writing.
    Support.Planbtravel.Com.Au recently posted..Support.Planbtravel.Com.Au

5. ebuynow.com says:

6 oz salmon calories
    ebuynow.com recently posted..ebuynow.com

6. Every lighthouse for me as a man opposing a wind and waves.
    Victor Tribunsky recently posted..To Visit Arizona for Miracle – The Wave at Coyote Buttes

7. robin says:

Great idea for a post – that last one (in Denmark) looks almost Middle Eastern.
    robin recently posted..Los Mapas

8. Love the photo of the Lighthouse in Denmark! There is another lighthouse in Denmark at Skagen. The lighthouse itself is nothing special, but the area surrounding it is very unique.
    Sofia @ As We Travel recently posted..How A Tsunami Evacuation Connected Us With The Locals

9. This is a fabulous list, Debbie. I love lighthouses and have often thought of finding one to live in. These are all spectacular. Love the Lindau Harbor one — must be a pretty big and rocky lake to need a lighthouse.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Bacchanal 2012 – Jamaica Carnival

10. inka says:

I have been to Finisterre and all the other ones along the coast of death. I have a passion for lighthoiuses. Beautiful collection you have got here.
    inka recently posted..Florian and Sacher – my favorite Cafes in Europe

11. Lighthouses are terrific – never seen European ones only the states
    Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Best Photo Composition

12. Wow! Those are wonderful photos! Each lighthouse is unique and charming in its own way.
    Michaela of Awe Inclusive recently posted..Why Rum Runners Are a Cruisers Best Friend

13. Carol says:

Wonderful post you got here. I love it. not to mention that this is very informative post. 🙂
    Carol recently posted..Murano glasses

14. Tina says:

Nice photos! Take a look also at these beautiful lighthouses one in South England http://www.followtheplace.com/#photo/5698 and one in Greece http://www.followtheplace.com/#photo/5622

I love lighthouses. I can’t believe how close the one in Lindau is to me and I haven’t been. Great collection.
    Laurel recently posted..Finn for a Day in Oulu, Finland

16. I don’t remember seeing any lighthouses in Europe but we probably passed by one in Ireland somewhere. This is great information. I’ve never really associated Europe with lighthouses =) I love the Denmark and Switzerland ones.

17. I haven’t seen any yet!

18. I loved the lighthouse on Cap de Creus in Catalonia. Dramatic setting, but so beautiful!

19. Myrtle says:

I have never been to this place and i think this 5 Guiding Lights of Europe are all perfect! I want to see them someday not just in pictures..

20. Nice to learn about these lighthouses. To me, lighthouses can be both comforting and mysterious. The European lighthouse I’ve seen that comes to mind is the one at Mizen Head in County Cork, Ireland. It’s on a cliff with spectacular views. It was very blustery the day I was there which added to its appeal.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Shades of Green for Earth Day

I would think a blustery day would only add to the mystery and beauty! I have seen pictures of lighthouses in Ireland and they are quite spectacular. The ocean is usually quite turbulent.

21. Lane says:

Lovely photos! I’ve wanted to do a series on Maine’s lighthouses for years.
    Lane recently posted..Help, I Need A Taxi… Help, Not Just Any Taxi

Well you should! I am really intrigued by lighthouses. They looks so majestic sitting by the waters edge!

22. Lisa says:

I hope to see Rubjerg Knude in Denmark. These all look gorgeous!
    Lisa recently posted..Call it Spring, A Butterfly

23. Great list..love the Cordouan!
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Fantasia Gardens – Putt-Putt Gone Bad

24. Lisa says:

Great photos – the lighthouses each with their own unique style are quite distinctive from what I think of as a traditional North American lighthouse. I’m not sure that I’ve seen a lighthouse in Europe – there must have been one off the beaches in Normandy, however, it was so foggy the day we visited that I’m not sure I would have noticed. My favourite of these is the medieval lighthouse in Dover.
    Lisa recently posted..Disney – May Flowers

I thought these were very different from the lighthouses in North America. I can’t really decide which is my favorite but I really liked the lighthouse in Dover too!

I really like the photo of the lighthouse in Denmark. Interesting mix of styles and now that you’ve done a post I wonder if I have seen even one – perhaps near Bordeaux out on the beaches or maybe that was just WWII installations.
    Leigh recently posted..Book Review: Leading at the Edge

I was really drawn to the lighthouse in Denmark too! The only lighthouse I’ve seen in Europe was in Biarritz, which is fairly close to Bordeaux so maybe that was the one you remember.

26. Oh! What a stunning post! I think the Lindau one is my favorite. Nice compilation. I like seeing the “guiding lights” of Europe this way. (Very poetic thing to call lighthouses. Maybe they’ve been described that way before, but this is the first I’ve ever seen it done that way. Like it!)
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Earth Day Jaunt Through Two Haunted Parks of My Youth

Thanks Courtney! Your comments always make me feel so good 🙂 I have spent a fair amount of time in Southern Germany but never Lindau. I would really like to see the beautiful lake and its lighthouse.

1. Elk Lighting Tuscany Coast Two Light Post…

[…] €™t be seen from the sea.  It was at this point on August 1, 1968 that the ligh […]…