July 29, 2014

Charming Biarritz & Her Lighthouse

Sitting on the Atlantic coast of Western France is Biarritz.  Once a whaling village, Biarritz became internationally renowned when Napoleon and Eugenie built their summer palace here which today is the Hotel du Palais.Biarritz Panorama Atlantic Coast France

At the north edge of the main beach is the Biarritz Lighthouse.  Dating back to 1831, the lighthouse sits 73 meters above sea level, offering an amazing panorama of this gorgeous city.Biarritz Lighthouse Basque Coast France

Part of the Basque region, today Biarritz offers lovely beaches, casinos, nightclubs, shops and museums.  If you love chocolate you may want to include the chocolate museum to your visit.  You did know chocolate originated here in the Basque Country!

Biarritz Lighthouse Basque Coast France

Yes the lighthouse is in the distance!

Although Biarritz may seem a bit large it does have a small town feel to it.  Spend time wandering the lovely promenade that parallels the main beach or strolling the old fishing harbor.  This is one of the few places that surfing is popular in Europe!  Biarritz is both captivating and charming.

Have you explored Biarritz or the French Basque Region?

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Related posts:

1. Off the Beaten Path – - French Basque Region
  2. Off the Beaten Path – The French Basque Region
  3. Cahors ~ A French Gem
  4. What’s Your Favorite European Hotel??
  5. My Travel ABC’s

Comments

1. Born27 says:

That’s a wonderful scene. That’s a good spot in there. How lucky you are to be there.

2. evon says:

So is it a park near the light house? Wonderful sceneries.

3. Karyn18 says:

Beautiful view! I love lighthouse! It’s fun to go on the top of it and watched the beautiful scenery of the sea! Love your photos here!

4. I was there for a wedding some years ago – the surfing is fab, my son wants to go there
    Heather on her travels recently posted..Park Inn Houston North – Bright, comfortable and convenient for the airport – video

I was surprised to here it was known for its surfing! Surfing would be one of the last things I thought Biarritz would be known for.

5. Elise Walsh says:

What an awesome view from that lighthouse.
    Elise Walsh recently posted..Cheap and Tasty Eats in Boston

6. I have an auntie who holidayed there for many years and I can now see what she liked about the place.
    Johanna Bradley recently posted..Six word Saturday

7. Krizza says:

Lighthouse at the northern end of the state and continuing successively along the coast to the southernmost tri-colored Oak Island Lighthouse. Take your time and enjoy your visit to North Carolina’s seven famed lighthouses..

8. Denise says:

I had no idea chocolate originated in France!
    Denise recently posted..Puzzling, amazing, surprising Danang

9. Jackie Smith says:

Great shots and they gave me all sorts of ideas for a new travel destination (as your posts always do!)
    Jackie Smith recently posted..‘Basting Away’ in Margaritaville, Mexico

I’ve not been to Biarritz. Odd, considering they have a chocolate museum!
    Sophie recently posted..Top 5 Camping Survival Essentials

I haven’t spent any time in that region. Lokos beautiful!

12. You had me at chocolate museum =) We haven’t visited this part of France yet but would love to visit. It looks very picturesque and charming.

13. Kazsandra says:

Lighthouses are some of the trademarks of every place.. I guess those are some of the great ones.. Debbie, thanks for the photos..

14. It looks beautiful!
    Becca@R We There Yet Mom? recently posted..Friday Daydreamin’: National Parks Week

15. Dick Jordan says:

Dang! Should have skipped Normandy and headed farther south for the chocolate!
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Natural Disasters, Signs of the Times

No skipping Normandy isn’t good. . . extending your trip longer to include Biarritz would be good ;)

16. Lisa says:

We haven’t been to this part of France yet – but beautiful beaches and chocolate sure are tempting!! Love this lighthouse too!
    Lisa recently posted..Learning is Fun at Science North

17. I always connect Biarritz with millionaires and luxury vacations. Maybe there are things us ordinary folks can enjoy there, too! Nice views. Thanks.
    Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Cambodian Temple Art

18. No, I haven’t Debbie but I’ve always heard good things about Biarritz. You taught me something new today. I didn’t know that Napoleon had a summer palace there. Very cool!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..#TPT: A Tour of Jamaica’s King’s House

19. No, I haven’t been to Biarritz or the Basque Region, but would love to go there. I did not know that chocolate originated there. That’s reason enough to go there.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Who’s on First?

I have never been to the Basque region but would love to go. Surprised to hear about the surfing!
    Leigh recently posted..Nature Up Close in Okefenokee Swamp

21. Carol says:

what a spectacular view. I wish I can visit Atlanta one of these days. great pictures!
    Carol recently posted..Murano glass