July 29, 2014

Gorgeous Gorges du Verdon

Located in Southern France is Gorges du Verdon a natural phenomenon similar to the Grand Canyon in the US.  A mere 2 hour drive from Marseilles is one of the most beautiful areas in the Provence region!

Gorges du Verdon by bibendum84, on Flickr

Gorges du Verdon by bibendum84, on Flickr

Over the centuries, the blue-green water of the Verdon River has carved the many faces of the gorge leaving visitors awestruck at the dramatic scenery as the canyon descends to the floor.  The cliffs will grab your attention since they are as beautiful as they are dramatic.

Gorges du Verdon Southern France

Gorges du Verdon by bibendum84, on Flickr

The Gorges du Verdon are known for being an outdoor enthusiast’s delight.  Here you can walk along the river, hike in the mountains, enjoy white water rafting, fish, camp, water ski, scale the cliffs or horseback ride.

Gorges du Verdon Southern France

Les Gorges du Verdon by Josef Grunig, on Flickr

But the area is known for so much more. The twisty turning road flanking both sides of the gorge passes 43 villages, many lakes and picturesque turnouts great for viewing.  While driving along the gorge you will pass medieval towns such as Trigance, green meadows full of cabins and wildflowers, abbeys offering concerts of Gregorian chants, fig and olive trees, chateaux and more.

Moustiers Ste Marie Provence near Gorges du Verdon France

Moustiers Sainte Marie by ialiangGao

Moustiers Sainte Marie near Gorges du Verdon

Moustiers Sainte Marie from Wikicommons

Medieval Moustiers Sainte Marie is one of the villages worth a stop. The village hugs the hillside and has a spring flowing out of the cliff creating a waterfall in the middle of town.  The looming Notre Dame de Beauvoir monastery sits on its perch high above the village.  Moustiers, known for its pottery, sets a beautiful picture.

Panorama Tourtour near Gorges du Verdon

Panorama Tourtour by Greteck

Aups near Gorges du Verdon Southern France

Aups from Wikicommons

Yes whether you want to be active or just enjoy the scenery, the Gorges du Verdon has it all!

Would the Gorges du Verdon be an interesting addition to your next visit to southern France?

Related posts:

1. Burgundy France – Land of Plenty
  2. A Year at European Travelista
  3. Springtime Yearnings
  4. Europe’s River – The Danube
  5. Wine Tasting & Biking in Burgundy

Comments

1. Red Nomad OZ says:

Stunning! You’d HAVE to give it at least a week to just get started, right?? Thanx so much for joining in my Gorges blog link up – hope this sends some new readers your way!!
    Red Nomad OZ recently posted..Australia’s Scenic Public Toilets #27 – Sun Pictures, Broome, WA

Gorges du Verdon is beautiful! I would love to visit and yes, a week would probably just scratch the surface.

2. Lynne says:

It would! We drove the Gorge du Tarn and the Gorge du Galamus – I’d like to add the Gorge du Verdun – it looks beautiful.
    Lynne recently posted..Sunday Post: Sunrise

3. It’s a regret never to have travelled in France (apart from a youthful visit to Paris). Too much beautiful world out there!
    Johanna Bradley recently posted..A day with Flat Ruthie in Portugal and Spain

There is too many places to go and just not enough money or time! I love Paris but getting into the other areas of France is spectacular.

Would love to see this! Perhaps could add it on to Girona after TBEX in Sept.
    Laurel recently posted..Marmore’s Falls: World’s Tallest Man Made Waterfall

It would make a great stop over on your way home! I’m seriously thinking of going to TBEX in Girona too. Hopefully it will work out.

5. Carol says:

What a great place to visit with the family! Looking forward to visit also here too. :) love your post.!

6. Wow, I had never heard of this place but love the color of the water. Reminds me a little of the lakes at Plitvice in Croatia – Plitvice meets Grand Canyon! :)
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Bograč Festival – bringing cultures together through Slovenian food

7. Beautiful! I’d love to go there someday!
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Greetings From… Córdoba, Spain

8. Fantastical place. Nature and medieval towns – I love France :-)
    Victor Tribunsky recently posted..Venice. Travel to Dying Beauty’s Bedside

There is so much diversity in France. I love getting off to some of the out of the way places!

9. Mark H. Stein says:

I have never seen such photos like this. Very attractive image that catch my attention they look really great! Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo…

10. Carol says:

I wish I can visit these place also :) it is so gorgeous indeed I love it so much.

11. Ella says:

12. That is sort of reminiscent of the Grand Canyon. But the water is so pretty!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Hiking at the Sourland Mountain Preserve in New Jersey

13. My goodness, Debbie, this is so gorgeous! Nature paints the most beautiful photos we’ll ever see. I love the color of the river below. Definitely worth a visit. When I see places like these, I want to just jump on a plane! I’m adding Verdon to my ever expanding list. Thanks Debbie for showing us another beauty.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Bob Marley Museum

Pictures make me want to jump on airplanes too! The water is a very pretty color and looks great with the color of the cliffs.

14. Lane says:

The water reminds me of a moraine lake. Beautiful coloring.
    Lane recently posted..Yuan: Chinese Currency

15. Perry says:

I’ve no excuse not to get there. Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing..
    Perry recently posted..Chamonix

16. Goody says:

Stunning pics! I love France as there are so many breathtaking spots! I’m planningo to go back and visit the Norther n side of the country! Any suggestion about?

Well you could definitely explore WWI battlefields in the Lorraine region. Champagne is always a good bet and then you can head on over to the coast!

17. Ayngelina says:

It’s definitely something I would want to see in Southern France.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Who inspires me?

18. Wow! The color of the water is amazing! I would love to visit this region of France. I have a fascination with medieval villages too so this is going on my ever growing France list.

19. Ruth says:

This gorge loks fantastic. The colors and the charming towns are great. I would pay a visit if I visit Southern France one day.
    Ruth recently posted..Little Tokyo Food Tour

20. Steve says:

Wow! Not what I think of when I think of France, but that is some gorgeous water. Those villages must have some seriously incredible views, although I might be a little nervous living that close to such large cliffs.
    Steve recently posted..Emptying My iPhone

I think France could surprise a lot of people! I wonder if they have issues with erosion like they do here in California?

Would love to go and even more so after seeing the photos. First heard about it when I read American author Pam Houston (Cowboys are My Heros is one of her books) wax eloquent about the place. Now I just NEED another trip to France!
    I can never get over the variety of scenery France is capable of offering.
    Leigh recently posted..Cycling Spain: Ardales to Ronda

France does have a diverse landscape. I can see why you would really enjoy a trip to the Gorges du Verdon!

22. Michael says:

This destination is certainly in the list of places I intend to visit in France. I’ve no excuse not to get there. Looks fantastic.
    Michael recently posted..Easy Hiking Is Adventure For Beginners

23. Katherina says:

I visited Gorges du Verdon a few years back and loved it! I wrote a post about it, too in case you want to check it out :) http://www.100mileshighway.com/2011/05/gorge-du-verdon/
    Katherina recently posted..Photo Essay: Hiking To Mirador Las Torres (Chile)

Oh yes I remember it! You’re lucky to have visited and I think a lot of people underestimate France’s diverseness.

24. Spectacular! I only learned recently that there was such scenery as this in France. Would love to visit the area and spend time in Moustiers Sainte Marie, too.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: Who’s on First?

France is truly a beautiful country. Reminds me of California in that is is very diverse geographically!

You and me both! There is quite a bit of France that I still would love to explore.

25. Holy smokes! How stunning! See? You are reminding me why I so badly want to get to France. It’s all about the countryside. It looks absolutely spectacular. Thank you for doing what you do so I can experience it at least virtually!
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Movie Monday: Ghocial, the Ghost Hunting Documentary

France is a beautiful country full of wonderful surprises around every corner! I know what you mean about virtually experiencing destinations, I do it all the time :)

26. Truly one of France’s most dramatic scenes. Can’t wait to go in September!
    A Montrealer Abroad recently posted..Postcards from the magical sunsets of Brighton

Jealous. . . but looking forward to reading about your trip and seeing you photos!