March 26, 2017

Architectural Gem in Budapest

Even though Budapest left me feeling Bleh, there were some amazing architectural gems I found in the city by the Danube.

One of these is the State Opera House.

Budapest Opera House

Budapest Opera House

Built as part of the Hungarian millennial celebration of 1896, the Opera house was designed by one of Hungary’s most important architects, Miklos Ybl.

The building itself is a Neo-Renaissance beauty that also exhibits many Baroque elements.  Across the top you will notice many statues of the world’s great composers including Beethoven, Mozart, Verdi and Tchaikovsky.

Liszt Budapest Hungary Opera

Liszt

Adorning the front are wrought iron lamps and 2 sphinx statues that seem to be guarding the entrance.  You will also notice a statue on either side of the main entrance.  These are two of Hungary’s most famous composersFranz Liszt is on the right and the first director of the opera, Ferenc Erkel is on the left.

Sphinx Statue Budapest Hungary Opera House

Sphinx Statue

With all the detail in this building, you can see why it took almost 10 years to complete!

Side View Budapest Hungary Opera

Carriage Way

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Oper Oslo says:

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous
    to and you’re just too excellent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what
    you are stating and the way in which you say it. You
    make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise.
    I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific site.
    Oper Oslo recently posted..Oper Oslo

2. link says:

You’ve really impressed me with that answer!

3. Mohamed says:

I still have the third-grade flag. I display it on naonaitl holidays, most recently Labor Day. My mother offered to buy us a new flag with all 50 stars, but I’m attached to this one. Right on.

4. Spencer says:

I loved Budapest when I went there! The wide streets, the grand boulevards, the architecture, everything about it was just so fantastic!
    Spencer recently posted..Ten Top Hotels in Valletta

5. Magnificent edifice my friend! Wow….I have so much of Europe yet to experience. Thank you for sharing your journeys!!

It works both ways! I haven’t been to quite a few of the areas you share so I live vicariously through your writing until the day I can visit for myself 🙂

6. Robert says:

Lovelt pics! This post’ve remembered me that I haven’t been to Budapest yet! I was supposed to go a couple of years ago with a friend of mine, but at the end we changed our plan and ended up to Oslo! Well Oslo is great, but thnk Budapest is worth a bit more…What do you think about Oslo vs Budapest?

7. Francy R says:

Francy R recently posted..Tips to get cheap eating in Paris

I haven’t been to Oslo but am sure it is very nice! I’m sure you’ll get to Budapest soon.

8. Giselle says:

Hi Debbie.. I just love the photos here so much! It just makes me think to plan and get to this place immediately.. Thanks for this deb!

9. jennifer says:

This is really beautiful, a feeling of fulfillment when I can visit this beautiful place…

10. ingrid says:

what a splendid work of art!

11. Carol says:

Nice building construction! I love it. thanks for posting this wonderful picture and post!

12. Dhyan says:

They are just so beautiful places! I have never seen such nice places before.. Great photos provided here!
    Dhyan recently posted..b&b Paignton seafront

13. WOW! That is some kind of architecture. Holy smokes. How gorgeous!
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..Are Spirits More Active During a Supermoon?

14. I still hate that you think Budapest was blah but glad you found a side of it that appealed to you! 🙂
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..5 reasons why airline mergers may be bad for travelers

I hate that it left me bleh too, Jeremy! I think a bunch of things collided in Budapest which is why I’m definitely going to give it another try.

15. Sopjoe says:

Debbie, Budapest left you bleh??? You must have been especially unfortunate with your visit. Or maybe you didn’t have enough goulash and local wine? 🙂

The first time I was there is was still behind the Iron Curtain and I had no idea what to expect, but even in those dire East block circumstances, it was a wonderful city, icy cold (it was February), and full of mist and mystery – a fairy tale kind of place.
    Sopjoe recently posted..Assisi from a bird’s perspective…

16. What a beautiful building. I haven’t been to Hungary (or Europe, for that matter) but am really enjoying the vicarious travel through your blog 🙂
    Andi at The Particular Traveler recently posted..Road Trip in India

Ha, I live vicariously through a lot of people too 🙂 There are just so many places to go and never enough time or money!

I love Baroque architecture, interesting that Budapest left you bleh, I’ve heard a lot of good things about it, but haven’t been yet.
    Laurel recently posted..Baboon Mother and Baby

18. nikki hill says:

Hungary is so beautiful. They have been overshadowed by other cities in Europe but you have made it shine through your pictures.

19. Nancie says:

I’ve not been to Budapest yet. This is one lovely piece of architecture.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday — May 3, 2012 — Nova Scotia – Canada’s Ocean Playground

20. That is an impressive looking building. The details look great. I don’t know much about Budapest but always wanted to sail on the Danumbe.

Old opera houses… always fun to visit. I still remember the old one in Paris. It’s gorgeous inside and out.
    Sabrina recently posted..Only in Texas: Cows on Campus

22. Claire says:

I just love architecture. The gems always make a not-so-great place worth it!
    Claire recently posted..Queen’s Day in Amsterdam

23. Dick Jordan says:

Interesting. It looks somewhat similar to the Vienna Opera House. Per my post this week, I’ve only been to Budapest in a virtual sense.
    Dick Jordan recently posted..Travel Memoir: Remembering Budapest

24. Michael says:

That is some structure. The architect must have had a great time designing and building this.
    Michael recently posted..Easy Hiking Is Adventure For Beginners

25. Lisa says:

Beautiful building! Budapest is a city that I would love to visit. I have been trying to convince my family that a Danube cruise between Vienna and Budapest would be a great idea.
    Lisa recently posted..Le Jet d’Eau (The Fountain)

Your kids might enjoy the hydrofoil more but I don’t think you could go wrong with a day trip on the Danube!

26. I can see why it took 10 years. It’s magnificent!
    InsideJourneys recently posted..My Travel Seven Super Shots – Jamaica

I really don’t understand how they build building like this! Especially with all the minute details.

• We’ll never see anything like this in our time. Too detailed, too labor intensive.
        I miss those old days, even though I wasn’t alive! Craftspeople had pride in their work — it wasn’t all about money. Now we build buildings of glass, which I guarantee won’t be around for very long!
        InsideJourneys recently posted..My Travel Seven Super Shots – Jamaica

Very true! The craftspeople of yesterday did seem to have pride in their work. Plus during the medieval days it was such hard work.

27. People say Budapest is similar to Paris. What do You think?
    Victor Tribunsky recently posted..Venice. Travel to Dying Beauty’s Bedside

I didn’t see Paris in Budapest but I’m probably not the best person to ask. Budapest left me feeling ‘bleh’. There were a lot of reasons for this so I’ve decided I need to return sometime 🙂

What a grand looking building.
    Did you make it to the baths???
    Leigh recently posted..Welcome to St. Marys, Georgia

No, unfortunately I didn’t make it to the baths. I wish I had but it wasn’t in the cards for this trip 🙁