August 23, 2017

Charming Mittenwald

Mittenwald is that quintessential Bavarian village we’ve all dreamt about visiting.  This tiny town located in southern Germany at the Austrian border is full of charming people, quaint buildings festooned by traditional Lüftlmalerei, great food and history all ringed by majestic mountains.

Yes, Mittenwald is too charming for mere words.  I was lucky enough to visit Mittenwald last summer and for Travel Photo Thursday I”m sharing some of my favorite photos that tell the story of why Mittenwald is known as one of the most beautiful and charming Bavarian villages.Charming Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Trough in Mittenwald Bavaria GermanyWater trough in Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Lüftlmalerei is defined as a tradition of painting the facade of a building and Bavaria is famous for it.  These murals depict village life or carry a religious or hunting theme.

Beautiful Bavarian Buildings in Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Violin Museum Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

World Class Violins can be seen at the Violin Museum

Water Canal Mittenwald Bavaria Germany

Lovely canal running down the main street

Between the mountains and the lovely canal running through the streets of Mittenwald, it is important you look up and down while visiting Mittenwald!

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Great pictures! I can see why Mittenwald is considered one of the most beautiful Bavarian villages. I will keep this post in mind when I’m thinking of a visit to Bavaria. Thanks for sharing.
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..Top 10 Living History Attractions In America

It is especially beautiful and serene. The peace comes late in the day when the tourists leave. It is even more wonderful then!

2. Cindy says:

I love going to those small villages and observe how locals give you those “what’s so special?” haha

But in the end tourists look like aliens to people that see the same city for years.

3. Heidi19 says:

What a beautiful place! and it feels so relaxing while walking through the Bavarian villages. The flowers are all beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing some of your photos. Love it!

4. Annilyn says:

The place is very exotic. I have never seen a place like that before
    Annilyn recently posted..Mother of the bride plus size dresses

5. The charming place. May be sometime we’ll visit it and it will be Your merit 🙂
    Thank You.
    Victor Tribunsky recently posted..Our “Thorny” Way to Lake Maggiore, Italy, and its Camin Hotel Colmegna

6. I just love how you generate all the comments!! And now, I have fallen in love with Mittenwald!! Added to my bucket list for sure! Brilliant photography my friend!
    Jeff Titelius recently posted..ArtSmart Roundtable: A Study of the Apollo Belvedere at the Vatican Museum in Rome

7. You know, being Bavarian I usually enjoy reading about exotic places – exotic for me, that is, so far far away from Germany. But reading about towns close to where I am from on your site, makes me homesick. You show how beautiful Bavaria is! Love it!!
    Christina (Jandal Road) recently posted..Things to do in Vancouver

That is a great comment coming from a “local”! I’m glad you enjoy it but am sorry you feel homesick 🙁

You really like Bayern, don’t you, Debbie? I do too. Apart from gorgeous nature and picturesque villages, it has an entirely different pace than northern Germany.
    Sophie recently posted..Things to do in Yerevan, Armenia

Wow! That really looks like the quintessential Bavarian town – right down to the little water “fountain” thingies and murals. Super cute!
    Sabrina recently posted..Grocery Shopping in China: Street Carts and Grocery Stores in China

10. Denise says:

This reminds me very much of the old town centres in Switzerland, though I’m guessing, your trips to Germany and Australia were *slightly* less expensive!
    Denise recently posted..Picture Perfect: Ode to the animals met along the way

Unfortunately, Switzerland is a bit more expensive than Austria and Germany! I do love the old towns of Switzerland too.

11. Lisa says:

The buildings are so beautiful! I’m starting to think about where we should go in Europe summer 2013 and every time I read a post about another unfamiliar place my possible list gets longer and my decision more difficult!
    Lisa recently posted..A Whirlwind Visit to Musée Rodin

I feel your pain! I have the same issue when trying to decide where to go next. I’ve even considering putting options in a hat and holding a drawing 🙂

12. It does look incredibly charming!

Have a wonderful weekend!
    Becca@R We There Yet Mom? recently posted..Friday Daydreamin’: California Dreamin’

13. Jhenny says:

The town definitely looks like a great one where we can have a sightseeing together with the friends and even with kids..
    Jhenny recently posted..Travel Tomato

Oh yes, kids would love Mittenwald. There out lakes nearby where they can swim and have a grand time!

14. Angela says:

Wow – this is super picturesque, what a lovely city. That little canal is fantastic, it makes all the surrounding lively and peaceful at the same time.
    Angela recently posted..In Mleeta, a day with Hezbollah

15. Mittenwald looks exactly like the Bavarian villages of my dreams — since I was a little girl. One of these days (hopefully soon), I’ll get to see this lovely place. The canal is really a nice touch, too.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Culture Curious in Chicago

16. Jenna says:

Those painted houses are beautiful. I’ve heard of this town but haven’t been there–next time I’m in Bavaria!

17. I absolutely adore Bavarian villages and your pictures make me want to visit so badly. Hopefully soon. Those facades are so pretty especially that Violin Museum. It really does look like a fairy tale village.

I am drawn to the small Bavarian villages. Its funny because when I choose to go somewhere else, I regret not going back to Bavaria!

18. I just finished my 70-day solo backpacking trip in Europe where I spent 2 weeks in Germany. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough time to go to Bavaria. Too bad really, this small town looks so nice!
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..Best of Travel Photos—My 7 Super Shots

It is too bad you didn’t make it to southern Germany. I find it wonderful which is why it is one of my favorite places to be 🙂

19. Jackie Smith says:

A fairy tale village comes to life in your post this week. I could almost imagine myself walking down those charming streets.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..TPThursday: Getting Stoned in Mascota, Mexico

20. Carol says:

The place looks really perfect to visit. I wanna visit also with my family or with my friends.

21. I’d say charming is the perfect word to describe this:)
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Pixie Dust, Fireworks, and a Pontoon Boat

22. Debbie, it’s so lovely to see places as beautiful as Mittenwald. Who would ever want to live elsewhere?
    InsideJourneys recently posted..#TPThursday: At the Montego Bay Flower Show

I have no idea but it seems we always something different than what we have! I think I could live in Bavaria, though 🙂

23. Steve says:

You say “Bavarian” village, and I start thinking about donuts. Then you post pictures of houses that look like something out of Hansel and Gretel. It’s a good thing there’s candy in the house, or I’d be going nuts by now!
    Beautiful village. Looks like a gorgeous place to spend a lazy afternoon.
    Steve recently posted..10 People I Don’t Know How to Tip

24. Marlys says:

Yes, so many of these types of houses and facades in Bavaria. I love them too. The southern part of Germany is a country of its own, I find.
    Marlys recently posted..Easy Hiking Is Adventure For Beginners

The town looks like something out of a storybook. Very quaint, very beautiful and just about impossible for me to pronounce the painting tradition.
    Leigh recently posted..Charleston’s Houses – It’s in the Details

It does have a storybook feel to it. Besides the village, there are amazing mountains surrounding it which offer great hikes!

1. Lights Blog says:

Considering A Beautiful And Charming European

[…] are so pretty especially that Violin Museum. It really does look like a fairy t […]

2. […] traditional guest houses like Gasthof Fraundorfer in Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Hotel Alpenrose in Mittenwald Germany. Make sure you know whether they have elevators and are prepared for stairs if they […]