April 16, 2014

Above it all on Mt. Pilatus

Tending watch over Lucerne sits the brooding Mt. Pilatus.

There are many mountain tops in Switzerland offering amazing views and one of these is Mt. Pilatus.

Steeped in legends that say there is a dragon living on the mountain or that Pontius Pilate is buried here, Mt. Pilatus offers views of meadows, mountains and lakes.  In fact, this 7,000 foot high mountain boasts views of 70 peaks and 5 lakes!Mt Pilatus Lucerne Switzerland

Your trip up the mountain can start with a boat ride on Lake Lucerne continuing with a journey on the worlds steepest cog railway.  After you’re finished exploring Mt. Pilatus, your trip down can be the same way or by a combination of aerial cable car and panorama gondola.Mt Pilatus Lucerne Switzerland

At the top there are 2 hotels, 7 restaurants and many options for your day!  These include a toboggan run, tubing, walks and hikes for every level, mountain climbing, biking and paragliding.  During the winter there is snow biking, minibob and more.Mt. Pilatus Lucerne Switzerland

Today I’m sharing a few of my favorite pictures from the top of Mt. Pilatus.  Yes, Pilatus is famous for its views but on this cloudy October day the weather wasn’t cooperating.Mt. Pilatus Lucerne Switzerland

But I feel the clouds just add to the mystique of this legendary mountain, don’t you think?

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Related posts:

1. Photogenic Lucerne Switzerland
  2. My Travel ABC’s
  3. What’s Your Favorite European Hotel??
  4. Bridging Europe
  5. A Year at European Travelista

Comments

1. It’s in fact very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on Television, so I just
    use web for that purpose, and take the latest information.
    Shreveport Karate recently posted..Shreveport Karate

2. Wow, fantastic place. Mt. Pilatus is heaven and I really love the scenery of the place. The place is breathtaking and awe-inspiring.

3. I like the feel the clouds add to these photos. Not seeing the town below almost makes you wonder how high up you really are! :D
    Audrey | That Backpacker recently posted..The EngRish Edition: Con Cup or Cup

The clouds do hide the height! I love looking down on clouds too. I feel like I could just step out on them.

Beautiful! I haven’t traveled that much to Switzerland since I find it so expensive, but the mountains do look incredible and the Swiss Alps are higher than the German Alps :)
    Laurel recently posted..Solving Food Mysteries on a Rome Market Tour

5. Nancie says:

I think the clouds add to the beauty…lovely shots.
    Nancie recently posted..Travel Bloggers Weekly Travel Photo Choice — Week 2

6. Clarise says:

I am afraid of heights but the view is amazing. I wish I can get over this madness so I can have an adventure like you do

7. Carol says:

Amazing photos! big clap clap clap for you. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.

Thanks for stopping by Carol! I do recommend a trip up Mt. Pilatus if you’re ever in the area.

8. Wow, you are so high up! Switzerland really looks beautiful. I’m sorry I missed out on going there during my solo backpacking trip in Europe. :( #TPThursday
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..One Day in Verona, Italy

I totally agree with you. The clouds really add to the picture. We once were hiking in Germany and really wanted to see the Koenigssee, but could only see clouds. It was a little disappointing and hard to imagine that a beautiful lake would usually be in view. In your pictures I don’t get that same feeling of disappointment though. It really adds to it instead.
    Sabrina recently posted..Caverns in Texas: A Walk Through the Caverns of Sonora

10. Lisa says:

Switzerland is so beautiful. When we visited I found the views more beautiful than anywhere I’d ever been. I love the fresh air, nature and the of course the great fondue.
    Lisa recently posted..Tajikistan Tea Room in Berlin

Sometimes I feel like I’m watching a movie when I’m in Switzerland. It is all so beautiful!

11. Wow – I love the dreamy way the skies drift between the mountain tops.
    Italian Notes recently posted..Crema con succo di arancia

I like cog railways. And mountains… and Switzerland :)
    Interesting about the legend, too. I’ve heard a similar one of Pilate being buried in Monte Vettore in Italy. Wonder why he would be buried atop a mountain, wherever it may be…
    Sophie recently posted..Postcard from the Grenadines

13. Steve says:

While I don’t like clouds looming over me when I’m outdoors, I love being able to look down and see clouds. That’s a great feeling that gives me a chill every time.
    Of course, if you want to go back and take some pictures when it’s all clear, I’ll be happy to compare.
    Steve recently posted..Our Outdoor Experience

14. The clouds are just beautiful. Gives it an otherworldly feel.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..The Awesome Splendor of Kingston’s Holy Trinity Cathedral

15. These are still beautiful pictures wthout the advertised views.I agree it makes it more mystical with fog and clouds. I like that dragon legend. What a treat it would be to stay on those mountaintop hotels.
    Mary @ The World Is A Book recently posted..Amsterdam’s Bicycle Culture

16. Denise says:

I am always amazed at how there always seems to be a restaurant up mountains in Switzerland. Once, I visited one where there was no cable car or access road (you had to hike up to get there!), and wondered what the owners did. Did they live there all the time? How often did they hike up and down? Then once I saw a piece of news which spoke about a family which lived up a mountain. Each morning, the father and his children hiked down for two hours to go to school, and of course, back up again when it was time to go home.
    Denise recently posted..Down in the Mekong Delta

17. Jackie Smith says:

You’ve captured a mood and feeling with these photos; I almost like them better than had their been a spectacular view below. Nice photos.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..TPThursday: Mexico’s Men of the Sea

18. Mt. Pilatus was one of the highlights of my trip to Switzerland. Looks like the weather was similar to the day I visited. Breathtaking — clouds and all! The cog railway was a big treat, too.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Travel Photo Thursday: A Slice of Chicago

19. Marlys says:

It’s nice that you got shots of the mountains as well as the clouds. When we were at the Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest in Germany, the cloud/fog was so thick, we could only see 3 feet ahead of us. It was really a pity because we were told the view from up there was great. I guess we’ll have to go back during better weather.
    Marlys recently posted..Easy Hiking Is Adventure For Beginners

20. Lisa says:

Beautiful photos! We had a taste of Switzerland when we spent a day in Geneva in March – can’t wait to explore more of the country.
    Lisa recently posted..The Broken Chair

I haven’t made it to Geneva yet but would love to see it. The closest I got was Montreux and Lausanne. Switzerland is beautiful!

21. Incredible shots!
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Starbucks Around The World

You’ve captured the moodiness of the area – and the reality of what it’s like there much of the time. Very beautiful.
    Leigh recently posted..What Summer Looks Like on Prince Edward Island

Thanks Leigh. The views from the mountains in Switzerland are beautiful. It is just hard timing it so you have clear days!