March 24, 2017

Italy, Czech Republic & Craft Beer

Craft beers come from small independent brewers and are shaking up the beer world.  Their desire is to make a great beer using traditional ingredients while at the same time creating very different tastes and sensations.  Since last week was Craft Brewers Week in the US I thought it only fitting to take a look at the Craft Beer craze that is crossing the oceans into Europe!

Beer Italy Czech Republic Europe

by MicroCosmi, on Flickr

Here are two countries, Italy and Czech Republic, that are feeling the affects of the Craft Brew sensation.

Italy

I know, Italy is known for its wine but it is also becoming known for its beer.  In fact, over the last few years craft breweries in Italy have grown tenfold! So next time you’re in Italy you might just want to stop by a few brew pubs to get in on all the action.

Tipopils Italian Craft Beer

Tipopils by mediaviking, on Flickr

• Sitting 60 km south of Turin is tiny Piozzo.  Making quite a stir in the craft beer world is Birrificio Le Baladin where the beers do not necessarily hold to normal beer protocols.  Try a Nora which is flavored with myrrh and ginger or maybe their unusual barleywine.
  • Moving to the Lake Como area is Lurago Marinone and the Birrificio Italiano, the oldest craft brewery in Italy.  Besides the standard brews, this brewery is famous for its unfiltered Pilsner known as Tipopils.  Tasting this cloudy pilsner is a must if you’re in the area.
  • If sours are your favorite then you must stop by Birrificio Torrechiara!  Although the brewery is known for its wine barrel-aged beers it is the Panil Bariqueé Sour which has made it famous.  If you’re in Parma, this is another “must have” beer!

Czech Republic

While Pilsner and Budweiser are king in the Czech Republic it is the craft brew that is making the most noise today!  Yes the number of taps is growing in the Czech Republic.

Berounský medvěd Czech Republic Beer

Berounský Medvěd by jagro

• Near Plzen is Modrá Hvezda Dobrany.  This small independent brewery has a long history of beer making.  Beer has been brewed here since 1378 but this brewery didn’t enter the craft brewing world until 1998.  Those in Dobrany say the water here is better than in Plzen and we all know “It’s the water”!
  • A short train ride from Prague takes you to Berounský Medvĕd home to small craft brewery offering superb unfiltered beer, tours and food.  The beer tradition at Berounský dates back to 1295.  Beer was brewed here until 1978 and after a 20 year hiatus, Mrs. Mayer reopened the brewery that is today known for its good beer!
  • Southwest of Prague is Pivovarsky Dvůr Chýnů a young brewery known for its unfiltered and unpasteurized beer.  Well known by beer lovers, Pivovarsky Dvůr Chýnů not only offers a light and Amber beer but their Ale and Ginger beer are also a favorite.

Czech Republic Beer

Czech Republic Beer by Podzemnik

What are your favorite craft beers you’ve found in Europe?

Comments

1. Cercacasa says:

Whether or not visiting see a member of family or within an bold journey, everyone needs some preparing and preparing for vacation.
    With any luck , you acquired some thing from reading this article that may help you on
    your up coming holiday and perhaps one thing you are able to pass on to a
    friend.
    Cercacasa recently posted..Cercacasa

2. My favorite thing about Europe is the huge selection of beers that are available. Here in Thailand we have four, maybe six or seven on a good day, but that’s pretty much all that you’ll ever find and it’s all pretty bad.
    Lawrence Michaels recently posted..Top Ten Phuket Beaches

I love the beers you find in Europe! I’m lucky to have a great selection here in the US too. Maybe the craft brewing boom will come to Thailand soon 🙂

3. I’ve never heard of craft beer, wish I liked beer so I could try some.
    If I had to guess, I wouldn’t have picked Italy as a craft beer hotspot.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..Soulful Sundays: JC Lodge

4. I have to say, some of the best beer I’ve ever tasted was in Italy and the Czech Republic! Though I am quite partial to Belgian beers also.
    Megan @ Roamancing recently posted..It’s Presidential Election Day in Egypt!

I haven’t spent much time with Belgian beers thanks to a Lambic I tasted. Didn’t really like it and thought all Belgian beers tasted this way! Now I know they don’t so I will definitely delve into Belgian beers.

5. Artur says:

The beer is the best drink in the word, I tasted the Czech Republic craft beer, during my vacation in Prague, and I must say it’s very good. I’d like to taste Italian craft beer, reading your article I’ve intrigued I’ll have an excuse to see Italy!!!
    Artur recently posted..Price Compare WordPress theme

6. Oh, this is a post for the hubby. I also enjoyed a couple of beers in Prague, but don’t remember which ones. I better go back. 🙂
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Remembrance in Washington D.C.

7. Wild. I never would’ve associated beer with Italy. I always just automatically think, “Wine.” Or the Czech republic either. Beer is kind of like a universal drink anymore, isn’t it? Super neat post. Love the things you share.
    Courtney Mroch recently posted..When pigs….swim? – A Unique Experience in the Bahamas

8. glen says:

Great photos — i’m thirsty!

9. Carol says:

This place is really beautiful and I love to taste their very own beer. I bet I will enjoy here.

10. Renee King says:

Since I was not really a beer fan the last time I was there, I plan to do a pub crawl next year….this will be a good resource to refer back to. lol
    Renee King recently posted..TRAVEL PHOTO THURSDAY

Ooh I’ve always wanted to do a Beer Crawl without actually crawling, of course! Where are you doing your crawl?

I’m not a huge fan of beer, but I had some artiginal beer in Marche last year that was quite nice.
    Sophie recently posted..The Belfast murals – a photo walk through recent history

I enjoy local beer but also love wine! Guess I’ll drink just about anything 🙂 That is a good thing, right???

12. Lisa says:

Trying the local craft beers gives you a taste of the area. I bet some of these locations offer craft beer tours.
    Lisa recently posted..Lithuania, Traditional Dress

Yes they do offer tours! Local beers are just another way to enjoy all the culture of the area.

13. Steve says:

What I’d really like to see here, is a picture of you after you’ve sampled each of these beers.
    Unfortunately, beer always looks better than it tastes to me. The last picture of the Podzemnik beer looks amazing, although it might be that I’m confusing the foam at the top with whipped cream.
    Steve recently posted..How to Pose with a Disney Castle

Ha ha, that would be quite a picture. I’d sure like to give it the ole college try though!

I’m more of a wine than beer drinker but still I found this post very interesting. I had no idea that Italy had a burgeoning craft beer market. And it looks like I missed my chance last summer to try Tiopils when I was in the Lake Como area.
    Leigh recently posted..5 Great Sea Kayaking Adventures on Canada’s West Coast

I think it’s great that craft beer is taking off in places not known for beer! People around the world are discovering there is more to beer than just beer. It is great to pair with foods too 🙂

15. I have wanted to visit Prague for years, simply for the beer….hopefully it will happen soon!
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..The Expedition Everest Challenge

I think you’re the first person I know who wants to visit Prague simply for the beer!

16. I loved the beer in the Czech Republic (more so than in Germany) when I visited about 8 years ago. Would love to try some of the craft brews they have now.
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Eating My Way Through BA Part 6: Porteña Gourmet

Thats very interesting! I had Pilsner Urquell and Budweiser Budvar last summer. Have to say I enjoyed the Budvar better.

17. I’m not much of a beer fan, but I might look for your Italian recommendations next time I’m around those parts of the country.
    Italian Notes recently posted..Crocchette di prosciutto

18. jennifer says:

Travel won’t be complete so well without tasting the delicious taste of this beer… Cheers!
    jennifer recently posted..need more traffic

19. It’s great to see craft breweries doing well in Europe, too. To my knowledge, I’ve never tried a craft beer there, but in the U.S., our favorites are Lake Placid Brewery (New York) and Berkshire Brewing Company (Massachusetts).
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..5 things to know before eating another Churro

The craft beer explosion is quite amazing. I’m not sure I’ve had much craft beer in Europe either but will make a point to search it out on my next visit. Gotta support the little guys 🙂