September 29, 2016

Honoring Heroes in Budapest

Monday we celebrate Memorial Day in the United States.

Originally began as a day of remembrance for fallen Union soldiers from the Civil War, today it is a day to remember and honor all those who have died during military service fighting for our freedom and independence.

While thinking about Memorial Day I thought about European countries I’ve been in and their memorials to service men and women.  This reminded me of Budapest and Heroes’ Square.

Millennium Monument Heroes Square Budapest Hungary by Paul Manniz

Millennium Monument Heroes Square Budapest Hungary by Paul Manniz

In the center of Heroes’ Square is the Millennium Monument.  This grand monument depicts various historical elements of Hungary and honors those that lost their lives fighting for freedom and independence.

Collonnade with War Heroes Square Budapest Hungary

Colonnade with War

In the back and to each side are colonnades that form a semi-circle.  Each is adorned with figures from Hungarian history.  On the inner edges and opposite each other are statues depicting War and Peace.

Column at Heroes Square Budapest

Column with Gabriel at top

Moving towards the front is a column with the Archangel Gabriel on top.  Gabriel is holding the crown of Hungary’s first king, St. Stephen.  At the base of the column are a group of mounted figures representing Magyar Chieftains who helped found Hungary.

Magyar Chieftains Heroes Square Budapest Hungary

Magyar Chieftains

At the front is an empty tomb that is dedicated to the heroes of Budapest who gave their lives fighting for freedom and independence.

Chieftains and War and Peace at Heroes Square Budapest

Chieftains with War and Peace on each side

These photo’s are shared as part of Travel Photo Thursday.
For more great pictures, make sure to look into Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Comments

1. Dave M says:

The Millennium Monument is just one of the beautiful places worth visiting in Budapest. Make sure you don’t miss the Royal Palace or the Matthias Church in Buda. Budapest abounds in historical monuments, romantic streets, cafes and restaurants waiting to be discovered. Danube bridges are also beautiful. Affordable hotels can be found on tropolino.com

2. This is a really beautiful monument. I like that it included the Archangel Gabriel. I doubt I’ve heard of another monument that includes an archangel.
    InsideJourneys recently posted..#TPThursday: A Colorful Jamaican House

3. Lisa says:

Your posts always teach me something new about Europe. I like that!
    Lisa recently posted..Live a Little: Know When to Move On

4. Born27 says:

It’s right to give honor to those people who gave their lives for the country.. Thanks for sharing this beautiful photos. That monument will remind people of Budapest the good deed of those heroes.

5. Those monuments are amazing. The photos are also great. I wish I could personally see the monuments.
    Jemma@The Philippines recently posted..Top 5 Outdoor Activities that You Can Do in the Philippines

6. Heidi19 says:

What a beautiful monument for heroes! and i hope that i can visit this place someday. Thanks for sharing those stunning photos with us.

7. That’s a very nice remembrance.
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Quirky Attraction: Zzyzx Road

8. Jackie Smith says:

Perfectly timed topic for Memorial Day. Loved the photos and the information.
    Jackie Smith recently posted..Bucerias, Mexico: Back to our Future

9. Wow, that’s a beautiful monument. Really hope to visit Budapest one day.

What a memorial! Never been to Budapest, but this looks totally like a place worth visiting. Love all the details!
    Sabrina recently posted..Lakes in Germany: Aggertalsperre

11. Paul D. Weiland says:

I have never seen such photos like this. Very attractive image that catch my attention they look really great! Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo…

12. Appropriate post given Memorial Day weekend…nice to see countries honoring their heroes, whether it is yours or not…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..Deej’s Picture of the Week

13. What a fitting Memorial Day tribute. This is a great set of photos depicting the memorial. I always like visiting these monuments whether here in the US or at home. There’s so much meaning to the statues, figures and inscriptions that surround them. Such a beautiful place.

14. Steve says:

Am I too late to be the first one to tell you that your first picture is gorgeous? I am? Well I’ll tell you anyways. I always wonder about war memorials as history tends to change it’s viewpoint on what happened and who was to blame for things, which I imagine leaves some countries with memorials that would seem inappropriate if they were built now. There’s always room for remembering those who sacrificed for their country though, and the Budapest memorial looks like a great example of that.
    Steve recently posted..Running on the Beach

15. Very interesting! It’s a good idea to have a post about other countries fighting for freedom with Memorial Day coming up soon. Thanks for sharing this and these great pictures!
    Josh @ Green Global Travel recently posted..10 Amazing Lakes For Your World Travel Bucket List

16. Gorgeous photos! I love how you explained it all to us too!

You are welcome to link this post up to Friday Daydreamin” – I am trying to grow our Friday photo meme and this post would be perfect!
    Becca@R We There Yet Mom? recently posted..Friday Daydreamin: School’s Out!!!

17. Lisa says:

What a beautiful monument to fallen soldiers in Budapest! Interesting contrast between war and peace with the statues around the monument.
    Lisa recently posted..Cruising on the Seine: A Photo Essay

18. Denise says:

I can’t believe that I didn’t visit this place, but it was so cold!!! And I just wanted to snuggle in a cafe with a cake and hot chocolate. I need to visit Budapest again in the spring
    Denise recently posted..My 7 super shots

19. Interesting history and beautiful monuments to heroes. The Millennium Monument is quite grand. I enjoy visiting meaningful places like this here in the U.S. and foreign countries, too.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted..Remembrance in Washington D.C.

20. jade says:

That top photo is beautiful and striking. Great photo set!
    jade recently posted..Perfect Day at Huntington Library & Botanical Gardens

21. It’s nice to see how other countries honor and memorialize their experiences. Thanks for sharing this! That first photo is especially awesome.
    Andi at The Particular Traveler recently posted..Give Hosteling a Try!

22. That’s what I missed seeing in Budapest. I was so much in a funk that time that I just stayed indoors and played with my Couchsurfing host’s cat. On my last day there, i went out and joined a walking tour to the Buda side. Good thing, otherwise I wouldn’t see Budapest at all!
    Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com recently posted..Where to Have a Massage in Quezon City

I’m glad you were able to enjoy a part of Budapest and, IMHO, the best side of Budapest 😉 I need to go back to Budapest too! It really left me feeling bleh although I am finding my pictures are much prettier than I remember. Go figure that one!

23. Liz Aucoin says:

One problem with this, Mr. Orban and his right wing coalition want to replace true Hungarian Hero statues with statues of dictators and people who are widely beleived to be Nazi sympathizers and leaders who used their police force to round up Jews and Gypsies and led them to the death camps in WWII. They want Hungarian people to worship the fascists instead of the true heros who died defending their freedom. One main statue has already been replaced.

That is simply tragic! That is a problem with history. One side celebrates certain historical figures and the other opts for quite a different side. I hope the people rise up to stop this travesty!

24. Bob R says:

GREAT lighting in that top photo.
    Bob R recently posted..The Devil’s Sonata – A Piran Portrait in 19 Pics, Part I

I love the top photo – well captured and a fitting post with your Memorial Day weekend just days away.
    Leigh recently posted..A Photography Field Trip to the Calgary Zoo

1. […] Honors Brave Deeds as the the Girondist column and fountain in Bordeaux France!  This beautiful column celebrates a small group of revolutionaries who banded together to save the republic. […]